Turnigy 9x stock receiver/module dropouts/interference

joshuabardwell

Mentor
At one of the places where I fly, there is a spot where I will somewhat-consistently have control dropouts. What I mean is, I don't always get dropouts when I fly there, but when I do get dropouts, it's almost always in the same area. The symptom is that the plane becomes non-responsive and continues flying as it was. I hold the control input, and a second or two later, the plane suddenly responds. So far, it hasn't caused a crash, but I don't like it.

When it first happened with my Bixler, I thought I might be having brownouts because the six servos were overloading the BEC on my ESC, but now I'm not so sure. It has also happened with my Teksumo (only 2 servos) and it has never--not once--happened at the other field I fly at.

So I guess this one field has interference. I was kind of wanting to switch over to the FrSky module and receivers anyway, so maybe this will be the push I need. The distance at which the dropout is happening (130-160 meters according to Google Earth) is just too short to really accept.

I know that, in general, FHSS helps with interference avoidance/rejection. I don't know exactly what the 9x module does, but I checked it with a spectrum analyzer (perk of my job), and I can see that it also uses FHSS. Is it safe to assume that ACCST used by the FrSky is going to beat the pants off of the 9x's native modulation and help solve this problem for me?

PkVillager

Let us know how it works out please. Im just about to get flying with my new 9x and found my cable was pinched pretty bad. I may mod it to have the antennae on the module or just upgrade since most info out there says the tx modul and rx are pretty bad quality.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Let us know how it works out please. Im just about to get flying with my new 9x and found my cable was pinched pretty bad. I may mod it to have the antennae on the module or just upgrade since most info out there says the tx modul and rx are pretty bad quality.

I had the same problem with the cable on the receiver being frayed where it enters the case. I don't think you have to hesitate too long. There's really no question that FrSky with ACCST beats the pants off my 9x module, although I haven't done any rigorous testing.

PkVillager

Looks like I can keep mine stock for now. I finally got some good flights with our third plane (Ft-delta) and had no issues that I could tell flying it out as far as I could still see it.

lancaster

Turnigy 9X range

Hi
I 've had some drop out using the HK 2ch RX and the Turnigy 9X
I found that when the RX aerial is fixed vertically in the supplied plastic tube and the TX antenna is turned vertical the problem is cured
The kit works fine and its great value - it just needs more carefully setting up than other systems
I'm also planning to try the FrSky module
Hans

joshuabardwell

Mentor
One of the nice things about the FrSky module is that it has diversity. If you install the antennas at 90 degrees to each other, you will never be more than 45 degrees out of phase, regardless of antenna position.

Longbaorder23

+1 frsky system plus 9x. i use it and i have been for years. but ive got a couple bad receivers. the one that comes with the module tends to be bad for me. i bought the white, 7 channel receiver, i cant recall the name, but it works flawlessly. never tested telemetry, but with a simple receiver swap all my problems were gone and works great. no more interferance, ever. good luck!

joshuabardwell

Mentor
My favorite thing about the FrSky is that, even if you don't have telemetry in your radio, the module itself is always receiving RSSI readings from the receiver, so you get warning beeps if you are going out of range or experience interference. There is plenty of warning from the first beeps until things become unresponsive--which I only know from range test function, since I have never even gotten a single beep during actual flight conditions.