Turnigy 9x w/ Fry Sky Module -vs- FrySky Taranis

Quad

New to the hobby. I am looking at a Turnigy 9x with SkyFry module and updated firmware (About $72.00 plus some time to install the SkyFry module and flash the firmware). The other option is the FrySky Taranis at $170.00.

What are folks thoughts on the two approaches? Any concerns with reliability/usability of either approach?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I am currently flying what at the time cost me over $500 JR radio. I will be upgrading to the Taranis after the holidays.

It has more features, and will be something you can "grow into". The telemetry is one of the things that has me sold.

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
On my opinion the Taranis is a much safer way for a beginner.
The buildquality is much more better than the 9x.
It has a lot of pro features ready made onboard without hard and softwarehacking.

If youre into electronics and dont fear to blow up your transmitter the Turnigy 9x is a great choice.
You can....
+ add a playstation 3 Button.
+ add more than one display for telemetry reading.
+ install second radio-modules at the same time. etc...
For me it was more fun to add more features in my radio than on my multirotor.
i learned a lot but blowed up mine after a bunch of modifictations, so i had to buy a other one.
i got a broken one on ebay for about 20 bucks....
From time to time knobs and springs flew off because of the poor buildquality...
if you chose the 9x its not bad to have a (broken) second Transmitter as spare.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
as a 9x, 9xr ,and 9xr pro owner i suggest the the taranis lol, just like what rcwingman said if you want a powerful radio to cut to pieces, add a playstation 2 button or like peter, turn into a suitcase, they're great!

eagle4

I have the Taranis, but as for a beginner radio i dunno. its features although abundant require you to have a solid knowledge to really get them to work. setting dual rates isnt as easy as inputting dual rates. its definately not designed for a beginner. that being said if you're any way technically inclined, there are enough tutorials online to help you out. i just dont find it all intuitave to being with.

I love my Taranis by the way ;)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have started with a Taranis as an absolute beginner. The most important feature I used is Youtube videos showing how to set up different things. And there are a ton of howtos online.

Quad

Thanks Everyone! I appreciate the feedback. Now have one of each. :) Multiple fliers in the fam so that is OK...

rcwingman

being Ghetto since 2016
hey Quad...
ok. what do you think about now with reliability/usability of either approach?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
The 9x is good for the money. If you add the FrSky module, you will not get telemetry. To get telmetry requires some very fine soldering of the pins on the microcontroller. It was attempting to do that mod where I finally damaged my board and "retired" my 9x.

By the time you mod the 9x up until it is close to the Taranis, you will have put in more than $80. Let's assume you go the no-solder route so you don't risk frying your board.

$60 for the 9x
$35 for the FrSky module and receiver
$10 for backlight
$18 for the SmartieParts programmer board (allows flashing and connecting to PC)
$12 for the SmartieParts FrSky telemetry board (enables FrSky telemetry with no soldering)

Plus maybe $20-$30 shipping if you order in two batches (one from HK for the 9x, the FrSky module, and the backlight, one from SmartieParts for the two boards). So you're in $135 plus shipping equals $155 to $165 to get an up-modded 9x.

And at the end of the day, you still don't have a Taranis. You don't have the side-sliders. You don't have more than one three-way switch. You don't have a spare module slot to let you add BnF DSM support, or LRS support, or 16 more ACCST channels if that's your bag. You don't have the excellent gimbals. You don't have the switch-mode voltage converter that lets you run forever off a 3S battery. And so on.

If you can get a Taranis for $170 US plus shipping, it seems like a no-brainer.

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
::Rushes in to the room:: My senses are tingling... Did I here some one talking about Taranis?:p

Love it, all i need to say.
::Rushes out yelling, "ho ho ho, merry Christmas!"

Last edited:

solentlife

For under $100 all in ... 9x + FrSky module / Rx .... it has to be good value. I have two of them. I never needed to add anything else like boards or reflash. It works and is solid .. the FrsKy gives excellent control.

I considered whether to reflash my 9x's ... but 9xr's are similarly priced at ~ $100 for Tx + FrSky module / Rx...and in the end decided to get a 9xr ... ended up with three of them. (2 were freebies from HK as replacements for faulty ... I was told to keep the faulty .. pal of mine fixed them up).

Do I want a Taranis ? Not at this time ... I'm very happy with what I have.
Do I want 9xr Pro ? No - if I was to consider that - I would go Taranis.

What do I fly ? Micro foamies up to large gas jobs ... sunday sport to 3D ... small indoor helis to outdoor 450's ... high sppeed pushers, EDF's ... literally anything I can get hands on !! Any problems with 9x / 9xr's ? None whatsoever.

Nigel

joshuabardwell

Mentor
For whatever it's worth, I agree with your logic. For the absolute budget people, 9x with stock module. FlySky is okay... fine for park flying for sure. If you are considering a 9x with FrSky module, I don't think there is any price difference really to get a 9xr. $60 for the 9x with FlySky module (that you're not going to use), or $60 for 9xr without. Likewise, there is a relatively small leap between a 9x plus an ISP programmer to flash OpenTX and a 9xr with FrSky Module. Maybe $15 difference. So if you want OpenTX, just get a 9xr with it already installed, unless you already have an ISP programmer at home for some reason, in which case you could go 9x with stock module and OpenTX.

As I see it, the main thing Taranis gets you is much better quality hardware (switches, sliders, gimbals), telemetry with no fuss (awesome, but is it worth an extra $100?) and the ability to have both a module and the internal FrSky, for mix-and-match with different types of models (e.g. UHF or BnF DSM). I think the decision between a stock 9x and a 9xr is pretty tough. Somebody who can come up with $60 for the 9x... could they save a little more and get a 9xr? I think the 9xr offers much more value for money with the OpenTX firmware and the FrSky module. The Taranis is less of a clear choice, at something like double the cost. It's better, no doubt, but a lot of people are going to have other things to spend that money on.