I was wondering if Flyskys could bind with spektrum receivers and vice versa. I know they use different protocols. What are all the different brands that can cross-bind? Like Frsky and all those other brands? Thanks

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
no they can't.

About the only thing that can bind to 'other' protocals are radios with a multi-protocal module (the 4 in 1 can bind to many more then the single chip one). And that doesn't get you ELRS, Crossfire, Ghost, etc [IE all the new 'better' ones], there are a few TXes that have _one_ of those protocols built in, or many radios have a JR bay that lets you plug in an external module to use on of the.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I was wondering if Flyskys could bind with spektrum receivers and vice versa....
That is a hard no.

None of the different protocols are compatible with each other. Even within the same family, the protocol are not compatible. The DSM family of protocols are used by several brands of equipment. It’s the protocol that you need to be aware of.

There are a couple of multi protocol Tx’s out there, Raidomaster and Jumper come to mind. Also some multi protocol modules that can be installed in an older Tx. I think the module I have has about 40 protocols available. I’ve used it for several years, it works great. Sometimes setting up a new protocol, one that I’ve not used before can be a bit fiddly. Once you get it figured out, you are good to go.

Last edited:
That is a hard no.

None of the different protocols are compatible with each other. Even within the same family, the protocol are not compatible. The DSM family of protocols are used by several brands of equipment. It’s the protocol that you need to be aware of.

There are a couple of multi protocol Tx’s out there, Raidomaster and Jumper come to mind. Also some multi protocol modules that can be installed in an older Tx. I think the module I have has about 40 protocols available. I’ve used it for several years, it works great. Sometimes setting up a new protocol, one that I’ve not used before can be a bit fiddly. Once you get it figured out, you are good to go.
Could i remove a receiver and replace it with one that has a different protocol. Also how does the multiple protocal and jr port thing work?

That is a hard no.

Also can the transmitter that comes with the sports cub s2 memory so I won’t have to rebind it if I bind it to other models?
https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/sport-cub-s-2-rtf-with-safe/HBZ44000.html

bisco

Elite member
Could i remove a receiver and replace it with one that has a different protocol. Also how does the multiple protocal and jr port thing work?
yes, if it isn't a gyro rx, you can replace it with an rx that matches your tx protocol.
be aware that some models have combo rx/esc/bec/servos all in one board, like the sport cub. so that would be a difficult change.
but i put $16. lemon rx's in all my planes to match my spectrum protocol.

bisco

Elite member
i wouldn't advise an rtf unless the tx could store a few models in memory. unfortunately, most trainers with nice systems like spektrum safe require an expensive tx like spectrum dx6e, or an open tx system which will fly almost anything.
getting started in rc is complicated. i made a lot of expensive mistakes a year ago, but unfortunately, there's no such thing as objective information. everyone's opinion is biased, and there's no 'best way'.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Also can the transmitter that comes with the sports cub s2 memory so I won’t have to rebind it if I bind it to other models?
I don’t have any experience with that Tx.

I agree with @bisco, most of the time the Tx that comes with a RTF has no model memory. You can bind it to another plane but you lose the setup for the current plane. All of the servo directions, trim and mixes will be lost. With model memory, all of that information is stored when you switch planes. You can easily switch from one plane to another to another without setting up the planes all over again. In my opinion, a Tx with 10-30 model memory is worth it, more than that is overkill.

bisco

Elite member
it's a tough decision for a newbie. i decided to start with a DX6 after wasting a lot of money on 4 rtf's learning about the hobby.
you don't know if you're going to enjoy it, or how deep you'll wind up going down the rabbit hole.

while many try to make economical decisions, the longer they are in the hobby, the more transmitters they seem to accumulate.
the learning curve is so steep on these things (at least for me) i shied away from open tx and went with spektrum.
and even that is difficult for me.:rolleyes:

it's a tough decision for a newbie. i decided to start with a DX6 after wasting a lot of money on 4 rtf's learning about the hobby.
you don't know if you're going to enjoy it, or how deep you'll wind up going down the rabbit hole.

while many try to make economical decisions, the longer they are in the hobby, the more transmitters they seem to accumulate.
the learning curve is so steep on these things (at least for me) i shied away from open tx and went with spektrum.
and even that is difficult for me.:rolleyes:
do i have to use a spektrum tx on a spektrum rx, or can i use another brand. also what's that thing about being able to attach jr modules and multi frequencies or whatever?

bisco

Elite member
that is too complicated for a newbie imo. but for the advanced tech experienced hobbyist, a multi protocol radio will work with most any rx

bisco

Elite member
when i got my dx6, a much simpler radio, it was still too complicated for a newbie. the owners manual was of no help, and i still have to look for youtube videos when i want to do something new, or even something i have done, but not frequently enough to remember.
they don't tell you that apple products don't work with them, and even the rc vernacular is a learning curve.
i still can't remember if a motor should run ce or ccw without looking it up :unsure: