U.S. SPACE WHAT!?!?!?! - MY MIND IS BLOWN!

Namactual

Elite member
Personally I think this would have been a better uniform choice...
xiliens.png

Seriously though, I don't mind the space camo thing. Marine pilots wear camo helmet covers. It more symbol than function.

I am sure once the Space Marines are stomping beachheads on other planets they will change the camo accordingly.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I was on a Town Hall type call with Congressman Lamborn a few weeks ago and an elderly guy asked, 'Space Force is obviously military where NASA is science. Why are we bothering to spend all this money? Do you people in Congress really believe guns and our pitiable technology is going to protect the Earth from whoever comes here?'...

I almost dropped my phone from laughing so hard.

Doug had to ask the guy to repeat his question and then answered that what was really important was the economic benefit of having US Space Force based in Colorado Springs.

I think we need to replace the Star Fleet arrow portion of the Space Force logo with a big dollar sign...

Piotrsko

Master member
If anybody has ever read the project blue book releases, they will find that the USAF determined there was no appreciable defense against an arriving alien space force, even if that force did not have FTL capabilities. The mere arrival at the top of our gravity well was sufficient for mankind's demise.

Equate the Space Force as mechanical space junk collection like the HAD cartoon.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
However, as a ballistic superiority position for planetary conflicts, space is the ultimate eagle eye. and dropping a mass large enough to survive reentry would contain more energy than an atomic blast (potentially.,
in Sci-fi novel Footfall (by Niven and Pournelle in the 80s) an alien species arrives and succeeds in decimating all threats and transports planet-side nearly instantly just by dropping spikes at transport intersections, crippling the planet infrastructure.

Oh. I know, I just quoted Sci-fi as my main backup... so there are inherently a great number of issues with it, however, the ideas still hold, gaining higher ground has typically always provided the upper hand in conflicts.

Are the costs worth the "security" or strategic advantage... Not worth putting brianpower to today.

All that being said... I'm hoping we can use some of the ideas to inspire more remote control Aircraft...

cranialrectosis

Mentor
However, as a ballistic superiority position for planetary conflicts, space is the ultimate eagle eye. and dropping a mass large enough to survive reentry would contain more energy than an atomic blast (potentially.,
in Sci-fi novel Footfall (by Niven and Pournelle in the 80s) an alien species arrives and succeeds in decimating all threats and transports planet-side nearly instantly just by dropping spikes at transport intersections, crippling the planet infrastructure.

Oh. I know, I just quoted Sci-fi as my main backup... so there are inherently a great number of issues with it, however, the ideas still hold, gaining higher ground has typically always provided the upper hand in conflicts.

Are the costs worth the "security" or strategic advantage... Not worth putting brianpower to today.

All that being said... I'm hoping we can use some of the ideas to inspire more remote control Aircraft...

Project Thor...

Note, the guy who conceived of the project IS your scifi writer, Pournelle... Fact truly is stranger than fiction.

Namactual

Elite member
Project Thor:
With the proper shape and coatings stored in some sort of benign container, you could have the perfect first strike weapon system.

Who knows, they may already have them up there. That X-37 has been up a few times and no one knows what it has been up to. It is kind of small, but the next version being built is supposed to be 180% larger than the current design. It is also supposed to carry a crew of six.

Piotrsko

Master member
Don't need coatings, a 1 ton steel ball would do a fair bit of damage, IIRC. And it's not radioactive. Recall the 500 lb concrete guided tank busters we used in Iran.

Much ado about nothing, there was a space command and appropriate building on EL Segundo Blvd in Manhattan beach Cali, 45 years ago. After 'NAM, they were merged into TAC, I believe (which became something else). The uniform was a blue jumpsuit or the office class 'B" dress variant with the poplin jacket.

We don't launch faster than 1 per month, all the space capable countries might make 5 launches a month. Show up with 10 or more "fighter" class craft near earth and watch the panic ensue even if they are friendlies. If anybody shows up at all, their technology/techniques are beyond our current levels by definition.

Everybody who knows anything, tinfoil hats JUST HAVE to be pyramid shaped to deflect random radio control signals. That pointy cone design allows for long frequency fenestration.

Namactual

Elite member
I was thinking more about "stealth" coatings. With no launch vehicle to detect and stealthy weapon, you could potentially drop something like that on a target with zero detection or warning.

I am talking about a real world war scenario here though. Not an alien invasion.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
As I recall the concept, they wouldn't use steel because it would vaporize before it hit the ground or a sphere because it would be too unstable. The projectile was a spinning, tungsten 'telephone pole'. Tungsten has the highest melting point and the shape would be possible to steer with thrusters at high altitude and with fins in the mid and lower atmosphere.

Re-entry had to happen thousands of miles away so whatever the projectile is has to be stable in multiple layers of atmosphere and be able to stand the heat at speeds up to mach 11 at sea level.

I learned all of this from Kerbal Space Program so this may be totally bunk and speculation. But it sure is fun to chat about something other than the virus...

Namactual

Elite member
They could use anything really with the proper heat shield, but tungsten would work.

It is crazy to think about though. You wonder if a government would be more apt to use a destructive weapon like this without the backlash caused by 10,000 years of radiation poisoning.:unsure:

I say as long as we use them on robo call centers, I would be good with that.

Piotrsko

Master member
Most surviving meteorites are iron with nickle. Aka inconel a trade name for heat resistant steel.

Who cares if something gets hit across the street by only an unstable 500 pound thing going mach 11, still going to make this huge hole and loud noise that will be generally noticed... from orbit it's a continent away, from geosynch it's straight down.