2019 Fantasy Aircraft Design & Build Challenge!

Fidget

Not opposed to Classic to Modern.
Few other ideas:
  • Flying animal based designs (birds, insects, squirrels, etc.)
  • Things that normally don't fly (cars, Peeps candy, etc.)
  • Civil aircraft
  • Carry a certain weight for a certain time (e.g, 500ml bottle of water for 5 minutes). Or a certain ratio (2g load per gram of aircraft weight for 5 minutes).
  • Anything under 250g
  • Anything from a single sheet of foam board
The first two are sort of selfish; I have a project in each category that I need a push to finish.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I'm working through scoring with my anonymous volunteer judges - please PM me if you didn't enter the contest but would like to join the judging team!

For everyone - what ideas get you excited for next years challenge? Some of the thoughts on the table include...

- Amphibious craft (anything capable of taking off/landing on water - wouldn't require water based landing on flight video, but it would help!)
- Classic to Modern (Foam Board or Composite Construction conversion of any balsa plans set - thousands available over at https://outerzone.co.uk )
- Modern to Classic (balsa build of foam board design)
- Classic and Modern (building both a balsa and a foam board craft of the same design)
- Composite Design (use combination of multiple materials from list of DTFB, Fiberglass, block foam, Balsa, 3D Printing, other)
- X Planes & the Edge of Space - anything experimental from the cold war forward including high flying mother/daughter ship combos and other launch vehicles
- Flying Circus (WW1 aircraft)
I think the coolest would be Classic to Modern, Composite Design, and Flying Circus

A suggestion for the challenge Time wise the challenge is long enough, but up here in Minnesota theirs 20+ in. of snow and more on the way, so would it be feasible to start the challenge a bit later so that it will end closer to spring giving participants better flying weather?
I would still be able to get out and fly (as shown by the Build-Ruary challenge) but it would be easier to go flying if it were warmer.

Mark P

I think Mighty Minis, warplanes (of any kind, so long as they fly), and payload size (measured proportionally to the weight of the airframe) would be good contest ideas. I may be biased, though, because I already have a few ideas for those. Extra points could be awarded for scale details, scale cruising speed, etc.

jfaleo1

I'm working through scoring with my anonymous volunteer judges - please PM me if you didn't enter the contest but would like to join the judging team!

For everyone - what ideas get you excited for next years challenge? Some of the thoughts on the table include...

- Amphibious craft (anything capable of taking off/landing on water - wouldn't require water based landing on flight video, but it would help!)
- Classic to Modern (Foam Board or Composite Construction conversion of any balsa plans set - thousands available over at https://outerzone.co.uk )
- Modern to Classic (balsa build of foam board design)
- Classic and Modern (building both a balsa and a foam board craft of the same design)
- Composite Design (use combination of multiple materials from list of DTFB, Fiberglass, block foam, Balsa, 3D Printing, other)
- X Planes & the Edge of Space - anything experimental from the cold war forward including high flying mother/daughter ship combos and other launch vehicles
- Flying Circus (WW1 aircraft)

Classic to modern for sure! I have plans for so many old planes from my past and I think this would be a great way to enjoy them again! I am happy to help with anyone who needs ideas!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I did say the end of March for final scoring, right?

So let's get to it!! :D:D:D

A special thank you to @CarolineTyler and @Hai-Lee who helped me with the scoring - you are pillars of the community and I appreciate all your help!

We had a great contest this year with 42 awesome entries, and 16 that fully completed the design portion of the challenge with plans and flight videos. We judges had an awesome time reading these build threads, and while all judging is at some level subjective we did our best to stick to the rubric while celebrating all of these great projects.

The first bucket of projects are this set of amazing entries that completed all the requirements of the challenge and inspired us all - so in no particular order here are the third place finishers who all have associated bragging rights. :D

SSM-63-2T.jpg

@kilroy07
Swordfish II
Build Thread Link

Love the classic Cowboy Beebop subject! Really ambitious build, and lots of great progress on developing the vector thrust control ideas. Very clever tree ornament ball body, and 3D printing the thrust rings and power system details is working great! I'm sure with more time to work out the flight characteristics this is going to make a stunning model ripping through the sky!

I think time beat you and not the other contestants on this one. I enjoyed the build and what little air time there was. Really wanted this one to work as it looks fantastic even in its vanilla finish! DO not give up as the result could be fantastic!

@Fidget
Columbus Jets Baseball Logo Plane
Build Thread Link

Love this offbeat subject! Great job replicating the nostalgic 50's lines - and the pilot figure is just perfect! The bat body is really cool and I'd love to see that version flying too. I think with a little more time you'll get the CG and EDF issues worked out and be tearing up the skies at Flite Fest!

A cute idea! Looked nice but its flight performance and lack of flight time set this one back a bit. Definitely would love to see this finished/rebuilt and flying well. It is one of the most unique entries!

@LitterBug
Terminator Hunter Killer
Build Thread Link

This is how Skynet starts... with an awesome project idea that is destined to rule over us all! Love the inventiveness and ingenuity with this work! Amazed how smoothly it performs for something that really looks like it shouldn't be able to fly with any sense of control at all! Very nicely done!

BRAVEST of all entries. Talk about bringing a gun to a knife fight! The judging and scoring criteria are very fixed wing centric so the rules disadvantaged you from the start. having said that it was the best tech solution and just needed a little more "Hunter/Killer) body work to have really increased it score. Now finish your design, comercialize it, and I might actually buy my first 'copter.

@Zephyr1
HYDRA Valkyrie
Build Thread Link

You really took on a mega project here and attacked it head on...a four foot model, not a six foot beast but a full on nine foot mega golliath! The Valkyrie was born and even without the multiple trailing props shown to fly pretty darn well. Super build, great flight footage and a headache to get in the car! :) As it flys so well on the EDF's, why not just power two props on each wing and make the others turn like windmills?

What a ship! I WANT ONE! I truely loved the multiple power sources ans propulsion solution. This is one of the top 3 to me. Needed a little refinement and a splash of finishing colour, (and decals?). This bird would make a fantastic FPV ship with the possibility of a very long loiter time or great range. Nice work, Really nice work. Its handling impressed me from its initial launch! I couldn't get enough!

@FoamyDM
Ushakov LPL Flying Submarine
Build Thread Link

Well, what to say? This is possibly the most ambitious of goals you could possibly set. To operate in two vastly different density of mediums.
The stages set were exactly right... Make it fly, make it float, make it dive. I hope we will see that first stage completed soon. The design looks great, the construction is very well executed with some great use of foam bending and shaping and I’m certain that a successful maiden is not far off.

The maiden ended in the water! So what it is part submarine after all! I love this design personally but my love cannot alter the scoring rules. So very close to being a finished design but has a few things holding it back. Hurry up and finish it because I want one!

@FoamyDM
VF-9 Robotech Veritech Fighter
Build Thread Link

An epic 3 year journey, a return to a dream, and such an audacious and inspiring design! The lines of this build look great, and the quality of the plans is outstanding! Really looking forward to seeing this one achieving a longer flight!

An exciting design that it seems time held back from final complettion. I was really looking forward to seeing thisone in the air but time ran out. Would love to see this finished and sadly it scored less than it deserved really. Please finish this one. Even though a complicated build the presence is outstanding. Love the look of it. I will be watching for this one to be finished as it deserves.

@FoamyDM
Logan X-stream 6 - Foam Catapult Plane
Build Thread Link

I love that this project is inspired by your son and fully expect that one day you'll get it flying well for him! It's a very cool futuristic design. The plans quality is outstanding - you're really got a knack for making them look and work great!

I love the concept but the scoring may not reflect it. I encourage you to continue to develop this as it has so much potential. It seemed that the clock beat you in the end, (caught you in mid development), but it would be a hard one ot have beaten if developed and finished a little more. I watched every second of video and really wanted more and more! Definitely not an easy build and one with the greatest potential! Keep it up!

@FoamyDM
Star Fox Experimental 1 (SFX1)
Build Thread Link

Very cool looking build - and on the edge of being a great flyer I think! If you find the link to the artwork or origional build you were inspired by I'd love to see it. That last toss looked like it was in high-alpha and wanted to lift! The plans are great - for a first set you really knocked it out of the park with them!

Nicely done and an attractive subject. Shows what the builder is capable of. Sadly needs a little development before it could be judged truly robust and even high "G" flight worthy. Yet again another great design just short of the finish line. A beautiful design that I look forward to seeing completed, (so that I can build one). Well done!

@FoamyDM
Crimson Skies Heavens Spade Carrier
Build Thread Link

What an awesome design - and she flys really well too! Top notch plans again, and really looking forward to the next version with the improvements you're planning. We need to see this all painted up and terrorizing the flying field!

Surprising little build! Well done! It flew first time as well - BONUS!! A little underdeveloped but then time was at a premium and the list of tasks was huge in the end. Pity it did not score better. You didn't even crash it! Generally well done! did not get the scores it deserved but it was not the lowest scorer by a country mile! WELL DONE!

@FoamyDM
Crimson Skies Devil's Dozen Mosquito
Build Thread Link

Really fun with the Christmas ornament in the center! Plans look very well done and the glider version seems solid - excited to see the powered version when the next build is ready!

What a cute little build. Sadly the NON-FT power setup cost it points. I will what out for this one if its development continues! With my eyesight I almost guarantee I would lose orientation every flight! Love the idea and encourage you to build more of this type and develop it a little further. Heck I might even save up for a good set of long distance glasses so I could fly one, (I don't have access to any indoor flying area). Some decals or other finish would have helped the score!

@Dr. Looping Looie
Kolibri High Alpha Flyer
Build Thread Link

What a fun and wacky design! Very approachable and obviously a lot of fun - Flite Test should contact you about kitting this along with the Nutball and FT Flyer - it's a hoot! Very simple to build and fly, very easy to customize too! Great job!

A very fun plane and one that FT could sell next to the nutball! Whilst I think I could build one I doubt I am fast enough to fly as in the video. It is a pity that there was not ground take off but then it does not really need it. Actually I watched all of the flight videos waiting for an explosion of FB. You got close a few times and that got my heart racing. At my age that can be dangerous!

Allrighty - now we're on to a set of amazing projects - any one of which could have been the winner but for the mechanics of the scoring process. These designers have all earned the bragging rights of second place finishers! :D:D

130.jpg

@FAI-F1D
Lockheed N+2
Build Thread Link

Wow! Really setting the bar high for an amazing entry! Love the detailed build instructions and specs that make it very easy for others to follow. And a bonus balsa glider too! This is a super sleek design, and the foam board version you designed does great at replicating the graceful lines - and the coloring scheme and finish look fantastic. Oh yeah, and rocket launch capable too! This project just keeps on giving!

A clean and relatively uncomplicated build. The scoring criteria does not allow for your ingenuity and skills to be recognized properly. The lack of decent 3 views, the use of different materials, (non-FB), and the lack of colour reduced the score of an otherwise brilliant execution. I didn't make the rules just applied them. I would love to have a shot at this one even if it was only to retire it almost immediately! Nice work and great lateral thinking!

@AircPirateNinsei
Wing Commander Hornet
Build Thread Link

The maiden video is just perfect! Love the spliced in game segments! This design looks so cool and angular and performs really well too - and the plans are excellent quality - really impressive work! Now we just need a printable skin for this that lives up to the amazing package you've put together here! :D

Sweet performer! The crash was regrettable and spolied my day! I still get jumpy whenever I see one go in! Mind you there was a bit of that in this competition. Perhaps I need a sedative! Great simple performer and a recommended build for those wanting something nicely crafted and spirited.

@DamoRC
Gee Bee R3
Build Thread Link

She's sooo beautiful!! You really knocked this one out of the park! The plans look stellar, the design really captures the lines of this classy bird and the paint job you did looks excellent! Love the flight video too - great editing and angles! I'm going to have to build one of these as a companion for my 60" balsa R3 when I get that restoration underway. :D

Not much to say really except WOW! Loved it and it seemed to fly reasonably well though I would have loved much more flight time video. This one will remain on my list of planes I want when I get good enough to build like such. Highest build skill level of all of the entrants. Fabulous effort and if FT was to copy it I am sure it would sell! Just needed landing gear which cost you points!

@Craftydan
MiG-37B Ferret
Build Thread Link

First I love the history and back story on this! And the opening translation of intercepted communications is hilarious! The step by step of the modeling process is really neat to watch the design decisions and process to bring this to life. The build video is a great step by step in the Bixler tradition and future builders will have no problems at all. That you were able to get the dutch roll under and control and have a smooth flying model is a testament to your design skills! Bravo good sir!

A sweet design in all of its forms. The relative simplicity of the build shows the design skills of the entrant. Not sure that it suits my flying skill set but definitely one to be recommended for the adventurous. Loved the flight videos though a little more especially of the EDF would have been nice. A nice looker and great fun to watch! A few decals would have really finished it off!

And that brings us to the the awesome First Place winner of the FTFC-2019 Fantasy Aircraft design / build contest who has the inalienable and unassailable bragging rights as such! :love:

SSM-61G_grande.jpeg

@Horseman3381
Tailspin Don Karnage Triplane
Build Thread Link

You've made something so improbable fly - and fly so well - it's amazing!! Love that the Sea Duck has such an iconic and awesome looking companion now! The plans are expertly put together, and I loved following the analysis and learning as you went through this project. And the final painted up look of the plane is just perfect! Well done sir!

An ambitious and well executed design and build. Your continued development past first edition is admirable. Whilst watching I almost fell of my chair, (I found that I was moving my thumbs trying to maneuver it when it twitched.) LOVED IT!

--------------------------------------------------

Again, I want to say thank you to all of the contest participants, the mentors, the volunteer judges, and all forum members who encouraged, supported, and cheered along the way.

You really are the best community on the internet.

Now let's all go and build something awesome! :cool:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I agree that there were no losers! Some real great designs that should be exploited or completed and then exploited!

Loved the work and thinking behind the entries. Well done to all entrants Just make sure the full plans and construction details/instructions are shared for others to attempt to build and enjoy. I might be one of them!

Have fun!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Great Job all.

@rockyboy now that you have setup some criteria can we see a scoring matrix next time? As some piece weigh a bit heavier than others.
I know I had a blast taking part.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great Job all.

@rockyboy now that you have setup some criteria can we see a scoring matrix next time? As some piece weigh a bit heavier than others.
I know I had a blast taking part.

Super glad you were in this! You inspired a lot of people with all the crazy designs you took on! :D

The scoring matrix has been in the first post hidden behind the "Spoiler" tag - just click the button and it expands out

Last edited:

Horseman3381

Thank you @rockyboy for organizing this challange with the time and effort it took to keep everything going, and the support/motivation you gave to everyone. I look foward to competing in next years contest.

I also am looking foward to flying with everyone that attends flitefest and seeing some of these amazing creations everyone built in person.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know this is revving an old thread but this falls under the category of fantasy aircraft. I came across this animated video and thought the air craft in it were interesting. Maybe one of you designers would be interested in making any one of them fly for real. The bi plane with the OV10 looking cockpit was pretty interesting

Michael9865

Elite member
I know this is revving an old thread but this falls under the category of fantasy aircraft. I came across this animated video and thought the air craft in it were interesting. Maybe one of you designers would be interested in making any one of them fly for real. The bi plane with the OV10 looking cockpit was pretty interesting

Definitely some imaginative aircraft in this short.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thank you cyborg.

It think one of can get enough screen captures. I'm thinking 4F packs... 48" wing span to 54". I would love to get the 3d model and make a detailed scale model. Or at least print a detailed interior. They did a great job on the cockpit detailsm.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thank you cyborg.

It think one of can get enough screen captures. I'm thinking 4F packs... 48" wing span to 54". I would love to get the 3d model and make a detailed scale model. Or at least print a detailed interior. They did a great job on the cockpit detailsm.

I been checking out their other shorts as well. This team has MAD skillz with video production in a CGI environment. They even use full on orchestras to do their music... Its no small mom and pop operation I first thought because I have never seen their vids or names pop up before.