Under scrutiny in the eye of the public.

No doubt its the same across the globe - "drones" are getting a bad rep throughout society for their perceived invasive, deceptive and dangerous potentials.

There has been a lot of bad press locally regarding quads and the muppets that are using them.
Recent events here have seen quads crashed in potentially dangerous situations in public places, been used for prison drops and also made the press for "spying" and being a nuisance to air traffic. One experienced commercial passenger pilot quoted to say that his biggest fear of flying commercial planes these days is the threat of colliding with a drone / quad....

And then this morning in press was a story about a bloke who looked out his window to see his neighbors new quad hovering 10 feet from his lounge window with the go pro hard at work. This resulted in heated confrontation and a report to the police, who at this point do not have policy to deal with the invasive new "toys".

Myself, personally, I have had a great deal of fun mucking around with my quads, learning and evolving as my skill increases, flying around my back yard, or at the local domain, but I have always been conscious and respectful of the people around me and what I am doing with my quad.

The ultimate end goal for me has always been to build a hex with FPV so I can take the go pro into the amazing countryside that surrounds us, but these days I am not so sure that its ok for me to do so, and I find myself reluctant to get the quad out for a fly any more, especially with such bad press circulating at the moment.
This has me questioning any further investment or time in multi-rotors and contemplating a change to more conventional fixed wing aircraft for fpv and filming.

I know this is a bit of a hot topic by I feel I need to address it and see what the FT community comes up with. From what I have read, the American authorities are hard at work writing policy and regulating usage of quads etc, and the same is happening here too as local laws and legislation are hurriedly being adapted to cover the "rising nuisance"...

Andrew

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I have to admit I've postponed buying my FPV gear a little because of this (and because the gear I want to buy is not available in Germany...). Everyone I have talked to about quadcopters were afraid I could spy on what they are doing in their back yard.

They were a little relieved that I don't care what they are doing there and that it already is illegal to film someone without consent no matter if with a "drone" or a camera on a telescopic stick...

Perhaps we need to talk with people about this more. Show them what little you can see with FPV and how close you have to get to see details. And even inform then that higher resolution equipment exists, but is really expensive and not something you buy to spy on your neighbours with a loud buzzing multicopter?

johnmw

propulsion impromptu
i believe as with other stuff in the world be it harmless or hazardous,
it is not the real issue, the issue is the people who misappropriate them.
i agree with Balu, we should create more positive awareness perhaps through and with FT,
that drones could be much much more purposeful in the right hands.
...perhaps those that are beyond hobby as personal enjoyment.

nilsen

I found that my neighbours were very weary and often while walking past say "does it have a camera on it", if I reply no, then they walk on, if I say yes they ask what I am filming.
What worked well for me in this situation was to show them what I do and what they see through the goggles, often not seeming like a "freak" with star trek goggles (me neighbour said that to me) will go a long way. Rather educate the people around you as unfortunately the press gives the public a certain perception and anything which is misunderstood is feared.
Anyway, whenever I'm flying I offer onlookers a look through the goggles which normally brings a smile to their faces.

kah00na

I think the main problem is public education. I would encourage all of you to fly in safe public places and be sure to initiate conversations with those passing buy. Show them your multirotor and explain how it flies. Tell them your range and what you can do with it. Let them get the information from our point of view before someone in the media gives them theirs first!

I've been initiating conversations with my neighbors when I see them outside or walking by. I fly FPV and I don't want them to be concerned about what I'm doing. I bought a second pair of goggles so they could "fly along" and see what I see. They've all loved it! If I plan on flying over their property, then I always ask permission from them. If they say no, then I mostly try to entirely avoid their yard. I haven't had anyone tell me no yet, but they all have said the same thing... "just don't hit me." :)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The only way to combat fear and ignorance is with knowledge and understanding.

I think it is time for me to step up and put some skin in the game so I have volunteered at a local school and am actively looking for curricula.

FliteTest is working on the issue but the thread for community involvement started by FliteTest is pretty quiet.
http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?11427-Intro-Thread-Idea-Discussion

Here we have a wealth of knowledge largely untapped by school teachers who can use it to help shape the future of our world. We cannot afford to sit and watch our hobby be eaten by fearmongers in public office and idiots crashing at the White House.

This is our hobby to keep or to lose. The next year will be key.

If you have ideas or just a story to share about mentoring, please check out the FT thread and post. This should be one of our most active threads if we put our money/time where our mouths are.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Public awareness is the best thing we can do to ensure the protection of our hobby. I don't currently fly FPV, but I'm looking to possibly start this summer. In my own personal experience ride alongs are the best way to spread awareness and the joy of this hobby.

And now a drone just landed on the
white howse front yard, now we are all screwed :(

It made the news here in NZ and that was my first immediate reaction... "oh no - we are screwed now"

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/65442569/small-drone-found-on-white-house-grounds

"Kessler said it's possible that the service has the ability to shoot down drones."
Sheesh.....

I believe that awareness is indeed the right path and I think we need to start spreading the word, every where..

Andrew

Last edited:

HawkMan

easy enough to "shoot" them down, jam the control and GPS frequencies along the fence line and they go down, and its fairly sure most all frequencies are jammed around that property, if just to stop RC controlled ordnance

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
It appears it was a DJI Phantom. The ..slight.. good news is they are recognizable and look somewhat like a toy. I believe it would have appeared more like a "terror object" if it had been a large carbon fiber hex or octi.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Seriously how fracking stupid do you have to be to fly your multicopter around the White House? :-/

HawkMan

Seriously how fracking stupid do you have to be to fly your multicopter around the White House? :-/

Well to state the obvious... it was a DJI Phantom... more importantly, in a city with severely hampered GPS reception from the buildings.

making the real question, how fracking stupid to you have to be to fly a (GPS) multicopter in a metropolis.

abieex

Mentor
The FAA bear continues to get jabbed at. Its only a matter of time before he strikes back in a blind rage!

HawK86uk

Professional Amateur
Being in the UK, I've been told (therefore I can't be certain it is 100% accurate), we already have legislation that we can't be within a certain distance of a person or residential area (50m) if flying with Camera / FPV gear and that you have to maintain an unaided Line of sight with your equipment.

That said, a recent trip into my local RC Hobby shop had very displeasing results. The owner / shopkeeper told me someone had been hit by a quad and comatosed, with the pilot having to pay their hospital fees and that new legislation had been passed THAT DAY that anyone flying an RC Quad with Camera will require a license and full Criminal Records Background check. I've researched both online and had no results that matched what he said.

As long as there are people spreading misconceptions like the above and giving pilots a bad name, it will be those that do fly, LEGALLY AND SAFELY, that suffer. I'm refusing to get FPV gear (despite it looking amazing) as I'm still learning to fly properly but more importantly at the moment, because of the potential mine field around legislation and privacy concerns.

We really need clearly defined, accessible and sensible expectations to fly by..

Do I fly within crashing distance of another person?
Only when that other person is with me, by my side and I know they're next to me watching, not moving into my field of flight.
If it's a stranger or a pet or livestock, I move away to a safe distance, I land, I wait and I let them pass or I collect my quad and leave the immediate area.

I wouldn't want someone to risk my safety, I won't risk theirs. That in mind, should I be expected to obtain a full license and be CRB checked for flying a small quad in a safe fashion? No. There are much more dangerous activities (like owning a dog that's badly trained) which don't require a license.

Regarding the spying aspect of this problem, anyone who has ever flown with a gopro knows that in order to see into a window (due to glare, and wide angle lense) you would brake your props before you aare able to see into a window. I myself have done this experiment on my own house under safe circumstances with no one around to get hurt and told the people in the house what I was doing, and that's exactly what I found. It just simply could not be done. But as for the other idiots that are flying up to 3 or 4 thousand feet with their "drones" or quads, yes, that should definetly stop. as a privot pilot too, I think common sense needs to work its way into these peoples heads. But don't discipline the rest of us that are doing this great hobby for fun or for a job (and being safe and considerate) about it, only ruin it for the jerks that are abusing their power of flight.

nilsen

Regarding education, I would be willing to do a licence if it were forced. I have seen some of the local hobby shops selling "certification" and I have to wonder what the heck that is all about? I know in Switzerland the following rules apply since August 2014.

1. No flying over anyone's property without their consent.
2. No flying above people if there are a crowd (12 or more apparently constitutes a crowd)
3. No flying FPV without a spotter
4. no autonomous flying if you lose visual contact.
5. no flying anything about 30 kg

There are a couple of other laws pertaining to airports etc but this law was passed quite quickly after some guy flew a phantom above a croud of football supporters having a party in the street.

As Oscal Wilde said: "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught"
Now that is not entirely true but I will shamefully admit my first experience with multirotos was a DJI phantom and I flew it all over the place above people and completely relying on the GPS, it was only when I built my own did I realise how much can go wrong and it's amazing how cautios I am about it all now.

RAM

Posted a thousand or more times
I think they will go with something a lot simpler.

1. No flying withing 50 yards of a residential or occupied building.

HawkMan

Regarding the spying aspect of this problem, anyone who has ever flown with a gopro knows that in order to see into a window (due to glare, and wide angle lense) you would brake your props before you aare able to see into a window. I myself have done this experiment on my own house under safe circumstances with no one around to get hurt and told the people in the house what I was doing, and that's exactly what I found. It just simply could not be done. But as for the other idiots that are flying up to 3 or 4 thousand feet with their "drones" or quads, yes, that should definetly stop. as a privot pilot too, I think common sense needs to work its way into these peoples heads. But don't discipline the rest of us that are doing this great hobby for fun or for a job (and being safe and considerate) about it, only ruin it for the jerks that are abusing their power of flight.

slap a polarized filter on it and you remove reflections, main issue is that on digital you need circular and at different angles you need to rotate the filter, so you would need some servo controlled filter rotation mechanism.