Using balsa sheet on ready board

Brian l

Hello I searched the forum but did not find anything on this subject. I am going to scratch build something and I was thinking about durability. I want to build something out of Adams ready board strip the paper off of it and sheet it with balsa, sand and paint.

Can anyone direct me to a thread where this has been done?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Hello I searched the forum but did not find anything on this subject. I am going to scratch build something and I was thinking about durability. I want to build something out of Adams ready board strip the paper off of it and sheet it with balsa, sand and paint.

Can anyone direct me to a thread where this has been done?
I did a couple of builds using Balsa sheeting to reinforce FB builds whilst at the same time allowing the builds to be made lighter,
The experiments ended up with a FT spitfire build which remains in my hangar to this very day. Here is the thread for the Spitfire; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/balsa-foamboard-test-build-ft-spitfire.32734/

An earlier thread for the initial build, (not a weight saving but much added strength can be found here; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/saving-my-favourite-ft-design.32479/

I still use Balsa on certain builds though I use the technique on my own designs mostly though I have taken to using balsa as replacements for FB spars because the balsa spars are a little heavier BUT they add significant strength. So far I have not had a single balsa spar failure even on models that are often crashed. Many times the balsa spar is close to the only thing that survives a big crash!

If you need assistance in your use or planned use of balsa I am easily contacted on PM and I will gladly provide any recommendations I may have.

Have fun!

quorneng

Master member
Brian I
It does depend on what you are trying to achieve but much of the balsa in a completely skinned wing is not contributing to its bending strength but it is adding weight. The most effective place for the balsa skin is at the point of the wings maximum depth or where the spar would normally be.
Then of course a balsa skin at the leading and trailing edges whilst having little effect on the wings strength will greatly improve its 'ding' resistance.
As aIlways it ends up a compromise between structural complexity and strength to weight.