Using Tx/Rx for multiple applications

CWP8

I am new to RC and recently purchased a Flite Test Cub for my son. We have a very silly question but please bear with us...

My son is at the same time planning to build his own RC boat - the plan is to build one that is low/will not get wet, so we were also wondering whether we can use our “air” transmitter/receivers for this DIY RC boat that we are making. I appreciate the “air” transmitter/receivers are not waterproof, but are there any technical challenges we need to be aware of? What about if we later make a DIY RC car - can "air" Tx/Rx be used?

Thanks!

Flyingshark

Master member
I think the short answer is yes. The longer answer is that ground transmitters have a different configuration from an air transmitter, with a steering wheel and throttle trigger. That shouldn't cause problems though.

PeterSripol has used an air transmitter for a couple different car projects, so it should be fine.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I am new to RC and recently purchased a Flite Test Cub for my son. We have a very silly question but please bear with us...

My son is at the same time planning to build his own RC boat - the plan is to build one that is low/will not get wet, so we were also wondering whether we can use our “air” transmitter/receivers for this DIY RC boat that we are making. I appreciate the “air” transmitter/receivers are not waterproof, but are there any technical challenges we need to be aware of? What about if we later make a DIY RC car - can "air" Tx/Rx be used?

Thanks!
You can use 2.4 on any type RC. You can only use 75MHz on boats and only 72MHz on aircraft . Water can adversely effect 2.4 more so than 75MHz but if you keep the active portion of the antenna (that last few mms) as high as you get it on a boat, you will probably be okay.

CWP8

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply! I had to google Peter Sripol, but I'm sure my son who's been watching a lot of Flite Test videos would have been able to enlighten me without the google search! :)

CWP8

You can use 2.4 on any type RC. You can only use 75MHz on boats and only 72MHz on aircraft . Water can adversely effect 2.4 more so than 75MHz but if you keep the active portion of the antenna (that last few mms) as high as you get it on a boat, you will probably be okay.
This is really useful to know - thanks!

CWP8

I have a dedicated transmitter and receivers for RC cars, its a 2.4 ghz set-up but its a single ariel lead and is quite long compared with dipolar shorter versions used in planes.
Usually the antenna passes throught a plastic upright support to aid reception. You can buy a dedicated groundbased TX/RX system very cheaply from Banggood

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...iJoLHZuqTuAhWrQxUIHQBoDfsQ9aACegQICRBD&adurl=
Thanks - this is good to know. The "air" receiver we were planning to buy (AR410) has a built-in antenna. Are they as good/nearly as good as the wires threaded through a rod, or should we seriously consider dedicated surface equipment? Note we are unlikely to suffer from reception range problems as we live in Hong Kong and (sadly) we do not have large RC driving/sailing areas!