Versacopter night flying - Night FPV? - its getting dark to early

Pie

I recently completed a build of a versacopter and it flies great. I've been flying fpv with it and love it.

Unfortunately my time for flying is limited (work, kids, etc). Most of the summer I've been starting to fly around 7pm which has worked out well. But now it is dark by 7pm. I'm looking for ideas on how to fly a versacopter at night.

I've consider putting LED's all over it, but I don't think that will work for distances farther than about 100feet because it is easy to lose orientation on a small quad. I'd like to do more than just hover and fly short distances. I want to fly it like I do in the daytime (around trees, through the swingset, skimming the corn, etc.)

Flying fpv at night sounds interesting, but the cheapo camera I have currently is too dark to see much. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas for fpv quadcopters at night. I've ripped apart a night time security camera which has the IR LED's on it. It did work well when I tested it inside. It is like a spot light that shines about 50 feet. In a room its great, but when you go outside and everything is far away, you can't see much (basically the LED's don't shine to far).

I'm considering trying FPV with a couple 10 watt bright white LED's on the front of the quad for illumination. Does anyone know if this will work? I'm concerned about the LED's blinding the camera because they would be too close.

I have build an X900 tricopter with LED's on the arms and a 100 watt LED on the bottom on toggle (you may have seen it at flitefest this year). I love flying it at night, but that isn't FPV. I'd like to get a veracopter up at night with FPV.

I have looked at starlight(?) cameras (the green ones in the movies). They are way to expensive.

What do you think?

Pie.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
No need to go too crazy or expensive, but picking the right camera, lens and venue make a difference.

IBCrazy covered it in the last episode of his "Success in FPV" series he did in conjunction with Stone Blue Airlines:

http://flitetest.com/articles/success-in-fpv-part-11-the-night-flight

From the videos they've published using this and similar setups, a lighted parking lot in a suburban area has plenty of ambient light to fly, see obstacles, maintain orientation and safely land . . . all with mid-to-low-grade security camera gear.

Now whether the local mall cop ignores you, drives up to watch or chases you off . . . that's a bit harder.