Very hot ESC and motor - Newbie Getting back into flying

scromboid

Greetings, all!

I am a new flier getting back into the hobby after about 10 years. I say I am new, because I was still pretty green back then as well... A buddy brought his Multirotor out to a company softball tournament and I got to focusing more on his little creation than the rest of the festivities. 2 hours later, I was hooked again. A few score hours of Youtube led me to this awesome site and here I am... back into the hobby!

So I dug out some of my old gear, broke down some old broken planes and tried to get my power system up and running and found quite a few things missing. Long story short, a few of the parts I have from long ago are two E-Flite 400 4200kv in runners and an E-Flite 20a ESC. Now, all my Li-Po stuff was way old (and gone... gave it to my jui-jitsu teach) so I did some research here on the site and went out and purchased a Turnigy 3s 2200mah 30C Li-Po with an XT60 to JST adapter.

Hooked everything up through my receiver and powered up. Beep beep from the moter, servos set and all looks good. I have a GWS Slow Stick, with it's motor mount set up with no prop on it.

Problem time:

1. The gear on the motor does not really reach the gear for the prop. It grinds more than turns. How can I replace this?
2. The major issue is, when running this to test the functionality (no prop), I noticed a burning plastic smell. The ESC and Motors were both VERY hot to the touch (burning) and I am unsure why.

Any thoughts?

I really appreciate the helping the new guy. This community (been lurking a bit) is so friendly and kind from what I have seen. My hobby store is not very patient at all and is over an hour away... You guys are my lifeline!

Thanks all in advance!

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Is your electronics rated for 3s? The linked items say they are 2-3s, but 10 years ago product may be different. I think one of the items mentioned v2, perhaps yours are a different version?

They could be damaged someway to cause the excessive heat. Oil in motor dryed up? Dusty? Mostire damage from humid storage? Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

scromboid

Great questions! I have no idea!

I will look into the v2 when I get home. That is a good idea.

For the others, how would i replace the oil in the motors if that is indeed the case? blowing it out should be no problem, but is there a way to open these motors so I can replace the oil? What kind of oil should go in there?