Vibrations... What's the trick?

Scratch

So I'm trying to get some jello free video with my H-quad, and am wondering what is it that I need to do.

I'm using the FT H-Quad design that I'm sure many of you are familiar with. It has 1/2" square booms, and a 3"X17" or so, piece of light ply on the top and bottom, with the ESC's inside. The lower, removable piece of ply, has a "tongue" sticking out in the front, about 1-1/2" for the camera.

I tried mounting my GoPro directly on the tongue with Velcro, then using a battery strap to secure it more. Lots of jello.

I understood that the vibrations are traveling from the props and motors, directly to the beams, directly to the ply... And the only thing insulating the vibrations for the camera was Velcro. Understandable.

So then I put Velcro on a piece of foam, to add some more spongey... And a piece where the back of the camera touches the wood. Still jello-ey... That's a word right?

Then I started thinking. What if took a 3"x 5" piece of light ply, mounted the camera to the front of it, with some thicker double sided tape, (a little spongey ness right there) then put some foam, about 3"x 4" of it on the back of the ply, removed the tongue, and stuck it under the frame. Then I used rubber medical tubing, with long zip ties through the tube to loosely hold it to the frame.
I figured then there is no direct contact between the frame and the plywood.
The camera is very loose and wiggles easily with your finger. I worried about it being too loose though.
I also thought that maybe the foam was too soft, so I cut some strips in the foam and layer in some of that same surgical tubing to act as kind of a dual rate suspension for it.
It still gets jello.

Now before you ask... No I haven't balanced the motors and probably could do a better job balancing the props but let's say I did... Would something like this be suitable for jello free video, or am I missing a key ingredient in this recipie for disaster?

Other than using a gimbal, what's the trick?
Should I lose the zip ties and use bolts to connect the tubing like I've seen before?
Harder foam like neoprene?
Softer foam?
A combination of foam densities?
Wire and rubber bands with air between the frame and camera mount?
Forget about all that junk and just balance the props and motors.

Here's some videos of what I've done. The first one was using the tongue, the second one was with the lower camera mount described above.

Last edited:

Scratch

Here's some pics of that camera mount:

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Scratch

I should say that I really want to use the GoPro case as I fear for the life of my camera... At least until I get better at flying.

But I do see a lot of people using the GoPro without the case, and even crashing a lot! Are they more durable than I thing they are?

And please feel free to post pics of your camera setup. Especially if you have a copter that is similar to mine or if your mount would work on mine.

Last edited:

DDSFlyer

Have you looked at the camera mount that FT and David came up with? It seems like the thought is a balance between tension and vibration dampening. I have to preface this with my inexperience and inability to strap my GoPro2 to the mount yet (because, like you, I'm seriously worried about crashing my GoPro...did it once on my super cub and luckily GoPro fixed it under warranty for me). I'm almost there to strapping mine one but I would try a little closer to their setup, make sure the props are balanced well, and listen to smarter people than me that are going to chime in I'm sure...

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I remember seeing an article that some one wrote and they simply added a lens from sunglasses. I guess the principal was that the go pro can have a hard time seeing in direct sunlight and by reducing it, it makes it easier for the software to keep up with the motion.

I found the article, I guess he used the free 3D glasses that you get when you go see a 3D movie: http://www.flitetest.com/articles/diy-variable-jello-remover-filter

But physically dampening any vibrations the camera is getting would be a good idea too.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
But physically dampening any vibrations the camera is getting would be a good idea too.

I have said it before but DO NOT get your Flying machines WET!

Now Damping, a process to eliminate vibrations is a good thing. "Dampening" = BAD, "Damping" = GOOD!:p

And while we are on the subject "Cavalry " = Horse mounted soldiers. "Calvary" = the Cross of Jesus Christ the Savior!;)

Just to get things absolutely correct!

Sorry to be so picky, but, why use the most sophisticated descriptive language on earth and get terms wrong?

Thurmond

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I have said it before but DO NOT get your Flying machines WET!

Now Damping, a process to eliminate vibrations is a good thing. "Dampening" = BAD, "Damping" = GOOD!:p

And while we are on the subject "Cavalry " = Horse mounted soldiers. "Calvary" = the Cross of Jesus Christ the Savior!;)

Just to get things absolutely correct!

Thurmond

I blame the public school system. Just because it's convenient too. lol.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I understand. Before standardized testing and the absolutely foolish "no one left behind" programs our English teachers required looking up a list of words in the dictionary and writing out definitions for every word on the list for homework each and every night. No electives in this "one horse town" school. No occupational skills or technical / shop classes. Only nearly useless college prep. Unfortunately that is still the case in 2014 here!

Thurmond

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
If you want good video and you use long rotors, you need to balance your motors not just your props AND you still need a damping solution for the camera.

I use David's FT camera mount but I still have some jello if my 1000kv motors or my 10" rotors are out of balance. With the 1450s and 8045s the camera mount is sufficient by itself.

For your camera mount to be effective, I think you need more weight with the camera putting more tension on the 'springs' that hold it up to take out the low frequency vibe.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You need to address any imbalance before thinking about a gimbal. Most will actually amplify any vibe since they are still subject to the same vibrations but are on a longer moment arm. Also, mounting the battery on the camera platform will give you more inertia, as Cranialrectosis also suggested.