Video-transmitter toasted?

Ludodg

Hello
I'm into multicopters and wanting to start with FPV.
I bought the cheap Hobbyking-kit (Quanum Complete FPV bundle) and have tested it in the past with success: I flew my quad LOS, while my kids enjoyed the view through the monitor.
The transmitter is connected to the PWD of the copter, so 3S lipo and 11-12V, which AFAIK should be OK.
(TS5823 V2 VTX Specs:
Modulate: Wideband FM Modulate
Video Format: NTSC/PAL
Output Impedance: 50 Ohm
Output Power: 23~24dBm
Channel: 32CH
Operating Voltage: 7V~24V
Supply Current: 190mA
Audio Carrier Frequency: 6.5MHz
Connector: RP-SMA
Dimension: 40mm x 23mm x 8mm
Weight: 8g (without antenna))

But lately I am no longer able to get a picture on the screen: Static and "no signal".
I have tried different channels .. no luck so far.

But while experimenting, I noticed that the transmitter does get very hot, even with the antenna connected.
I thought I had read somewhere that this only should happen when not connecting the antenna, which could fry your transmitter.
So my question: is it normal for the video-transmitter to get very hot within the minute?
... Or might there be something else ..?

THX

earthsciteach

Very hot within a minute seems worrisome to me. Do you know anyone locally that flies fpv so you might test your vid tx/rx with their tx/rx?

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Not sure about the camera getting warm (I have never felt mine), but I know the TX gets quite warm within a small amount of time. I would check the antenna connection and the signal connection between TX and camera. If you use an extension/pigtail/angle adapter between your antenna and TX try removing it and seeing if it helps.

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Yes they both will get very warm during use. That is normal due to the linear BEC that they have in them. I have had the same issue you describe. if you press on the dip switch array (the place you change channels) does the picture come back? Turns out that was the issue with mine dropping out...I assume bad connection or defective parts. I still haven't messed with it too much since I've moved all my models over to immersion gear but maybe one day I'll pull it apart.

If it is the transmitter try to contact hobby king if it is still under warranty. Send them a video and they might send you a replacement.

Ludodg

I did use an antenna-extention but also tried removing it and connecting the antenna directly. But that dIdnot solve anything.

And no, i do not know other DIY-multicopter and or -FPV-pilots around here.
I might go to my local shop and see if I can test with another videotransmitter.

Tmarter

I did use an antenna-extention but also tried removing it and connecting the antenna directly. But that dIdnot solve anything.

And no, i do not know other DIY-multicopter and or -FPV-pilots around here.
I might go to my local shop and see if I can test with another videotransmitter.

make sure you always have the antenna connected whenever the TX or RX has power, not having an antenna or disconnecting it while it has power WILL fry it... if the power is off and disconnected while you switch them out that is fine, but also have good airflow over them while bench testing, as they get hot fairly quick. Heat is what kills everything!

aiidanwings

Just my experience, the camera supplied with that kit dies if pointed at the sun. I fried three that way before I switched to the mobious.

tneun

Nicolas
Maybe the antennas aren't the best-quality antennas. Did you replace it with different antennas? When you have bad quality antennas, the energy isn't transmitted and will go back into the tx. This will lead to increasing the tx temperature really fast!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I too received a Fatshark Tx that immediately melted the heat shrink when plugged in to power WITH an antenna. I was so worried about it frying, I built a small heat sink for it. After epoxying it into place and using heat sink paste between the inductor (yellow arrow) that was getting super hot and the aluminum sink, it now gets warm but not crazy hot.