Volantex Trainstar Ascent 747-8

bigdano711

Well, I have egg all over my face when it comes to Volantex. I saw their cheap RTF's, which actually fly pretty good based on the videos I've seen, and wrote them off. I finally started looking at HobbyKing.com and what planes they offer in PNF and found this little beauty. I've been wondering where the plastic fuselage has gone, and now I've re-discovered it!!

My very first plane came from Tower Hobbies roughly 20 years ago. I told my ex-wife to get me the P-51 and instead she got me this trainer style high foam wing rubber-banded to a plastic fuselage. I was bummed, but only slightly, still totally excited to fly no matter what it was.

I folded that foam wing and learned about re-enforcing with a spar. Took out the horrible brick that was acting as esc/rx/servos and installed proper electronics. As I dug into the plane, the design was actually quite astounding with a nice plastic deck that I cut squares into for mounting servos and a firewall/motor mount that accepted a brushless motor with very little modification AND it had built-in down/right thrust. Then balsa ARF's took over, I got into glow and didn't look back at electric for a while. Eventually, life events happened and RC was shelved for years.

About 4 years ago, I dipped my toe back in when I bought the HobbyZone Carbon Cub S+ 1.3 sold by Horizon Hobby. Great Cub and I still have it to this day. I just installed flaps and can't wait to test them out.

Since then, I've often thought back on that little plastic fused first plane and wish I still had it. I wondered why no manufacturer has re-done it. Like I said, I folded that wing from a good altitude and it just twirled in and landed on it belly, no damage at all to the fuse. Piled it in hard nose first, barely put a crinkle in the plastic that I was able to pull out and smooth by hand.

This will be my next plane.

bisco

Elite member
i have a couple umx volantex planes, they are very good, and the electronics are top notch.

the only thing missing is as3x for wind. i also have my eye on the trainstar epoch, a better size for my fields.
i would be interested in the pnp, but i'm not paying $60.+ for freight.

Last edited:

bigdano711

I just bought $191 worth of stuff from FliteTest and paid $43 in shipping. I think we're seeing the "new normal" emerge when it comes to shipping...

bigdano711

About the AS3X...it's pretty nifty, but it robs a pilot of learning how to deal with wind and, with a Cub, the hard left tendency on take-off. I recently pulled my AS3X from that Cub and put a standard Rx in it and WHOA does it fly different!! I felt like I didn't know how to fly it and ran it off the runway on a take-off attempt.

ColoFlyer

I have the Volantex Trainstar Epoch, I really like it, its a great flying training plane. I have crashed it numerous times, and even had to glue a partial tear in one of the wings and it still flys.

Attachments

• Volantex Epoch.jpg
    Volantex Epoch.jpg
    396.2 KB · Views: 0

bisco

Elite member
idk, most rc expert pilots recommend not flying in much wind, especially gusts. there's only so much you can control from the round, especially in smaller models.

ColoFlyer

the only thing missing is as3x for wind. i also have my eye on the trainstar epoch, a better size for my fields.
i would be interested in the pnp, but i'm not paying $60.+ for freight.

When I bought my Epoch it came without a receiver, so I put in a FT Aura5 and it works great. Fixes the wind and has 3 or 6 axis gyro, as well as experienced mode to turn off everything.

bisco

Elite member
thanks!

i have an aura 5 in an ft duster, and i like it. i didn't realize it had as3x equivalent, i'll look into that.