waiting for props, so glider?

VAND3R

hey I finished my viggen build but i'm still waiting for my dad to want to go out and get propellers.

I was wondering if there were any designs that could be used as a bank and yank glider while i wait.
do you think the versa wing would work as a glider? I was looking at the simple soarer but it doesn't have ailerons...
any opinions would be appreciated.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
hey I finished my viggen build but i'm still waiting for my dad to want to go out and get propellers.

Lol, I know how that goes.:D

If you have a bungee the simple soarer works well with ailerons, but the versa should work well just about anywhere with a big enough bungee.
If not, I don't know how many hills there are in your part of Texas, but you could try slope soaring either of them.

VAND3R

Lol, I know how that goes.:D

If you have a bungee the simple soarer works well with ailerons, but the versa should work well just about anywhere with a big enough bungee.
If not, I don't know how many hills there are in your part of Texas, but you could try slope soaring either of them.

oh wow! thanks for the lightning quick reply!
I might end up going with the versa just because i've built it so many times. I think i remember it only taking 3 sheets of foam.
for a bungee launch do you put the bungee on the cg or do you put it somewhere else?

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
oh wow! thanks for the lightning quick reply!
I might end up going with the versa just because i've built it so many times. I think i remember it only taking 3 sheets of foam.
for a bungee launch do you put the bungee on the cg or do you put it somewhere else?

Put it just slightly (maybe an inch) in front of the CG, that will keep it from ballooning to badly on launch.

A BNV should work fine, and with more wing area should glide a little better too.

SteevyT

The Blunt Nose Versa has an awesome glide. I struggle to put it down because it just won't slow down to land (it also seems to really slow down the descent a foot or two off the ground, I'm guessing ground effect). I also fly around with a camera and a bunch of lead in the nose just to keep the CG in place.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Bank and Yank glider? Wouldn't you lose a lot of efficiency/airspeed/lift when you tip the plane onto it's side? ... But fun is fun and like the internets sayz: "Whatever floats your goat."

The Blunt Nose Versa has an awesome glide. I struggle to put it down because it just won't slow down to land (it also seems to really slow down the descent a foot or two off the ground, I'm guessing ground effect). I also fly around with a camera and a bunch of lead in the nose just to keep the CG in place.

The blunt nose versa has a fantastic glide ratio, I will climb up to about 300 to 400 feet (the highest you can legally go) and then cut the power and glide down. My set up has about 5 minutes of 75% power flying, but I can extend that to 20 by just going up and gliding down.

VAND3R

well after steevy recommended the blunt nose i went ahead and got cracking with some spare foam from my viggen build!
here it is!
SR1W6EY.jpg

This thing is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGEEEEEE!!!! (swedish accent)
my original versa was pretty big i thought but this thing is just giant!

Edit: tilt your head a bit lol

Last edited:

SteevyT

well after steevy recommended the blunt nose i went ahead and got cracking with some spare foam from my viggen build!
here it is!
2014-06-02%2021.51.47.jpg

This thing is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGEEEEEE!!!! (swedish accent)
my original versa was pretty big i thought but this thing is just giant!

Edit: tilt your head a bit lol

We can't get to the picture (upload it to imgur.com and then paste the link that starts with "[ url]" and ends with "[ /url]" here), your dropbox is locked.

Also, I have to have the seats in my hatchback folded down to fit my Blunt Nose in the car. I also set it on one wingtip and lean on it while I'm riding the elevator down from my apartment, but it flies so well, although it does get a little squirly in wind.

VAND3R

ok updated the picture but before i fixed that i finished the plane! (except for maybe some decals) as it's summer time and hot in texas I hope that I catch some rising heat with this one! also this is my first glider! pictures on the finished product coming soon

SteevyT

How much weight did you need in the nose for the CG? Mine was still tail heavy after I stuck a vice grip up there, but mine's also powered. With as far as mine glides despite how heavy it is, I'm curious what yours will do with probably half the weight.

VAND3R

How much weight did you need in the nose for the CG? Mine was still tail heavy after I stuck a vice grip up there, but mine's also powered. With as far as mine glides despite how heavy it is, I'm curious what yours will do with probably half the weight.

without anything in the plane at all it was waaaaaay tail heavy i pushed my battery as far forward as i could put it without cutting any more holes and it was seriously a perfect glide so then I just slapped the rest of the electronics almost directly on the cg and yeah still glides fine. I have not yet went out to try it out though I need some string or bungee or something for a high start or bungee start or whatever you call it.

EDIT:
Here is a picture of the hook for the high start
2014-06-05 08.08.35.jpg
Here is a picture of the plane
2014-06-05 08.09.00.jpg

Last edited:

VAND3R

so what seems to be perfect gliding indoors I guess doesnt apply outside because once i threw the versa the wind flew over the airfoil and the thing flipped and it may have flipped into a hot tub....

but whatever because the plane and electronics are undamaged, battery didn't puff or explode reciever didn't short out neither did BEC so everything is good I just need to adjust the battery position and let it dry so I will be attempting again tomorrow.