Want to get into 3D flying, recommendations?

I have done a lot of 3D on the sim because it really helps with your normal flying, and it's fun! But none of the planes that I have right now can deliver that kind of performance, the best would be my Commander. Well, I've been in the market for a 3D aircraft for a while but I keep running into tough choices :rolleyes:. I want to have a biplane in my fleet because I don't have one yet, and biplanes can be good 3D fliers. I also just invested in 3 5000mah 6s Gens Ace packs for my Freewing Avanti S, so I wouldn't mind getting a 6s powered 3D plane.
I looked at the FMS Pitts and the E-flite Prometheus because they are 6s powered bipes, but I don't like the look of the Prometheus and the FMS Pitts has been discontinued, seemingly because it had many flaws. I also saw the other E-flite 3D fliers that run on 3s packs (which I have 6 of) but I don't love the size or cost for what they are (so overpriced). So currently I am seriously considering the FMS Pitts, but it is expensive and would cost even more to get it to perform how I want.
I am totally comfortable flying 3D, I just don't have the plane to do it. So don't recommend any "starter" 3D planes because I want something that I can quickly grow with.
I would love it if you guys could recommend any 3D aircraft that you have enjoyed flying or think look promising. Here are the parameters:
-Powered by 3s or 6s (Possibly 4s)
-Capable of hovering and such
-Wingspan more than 1000mm
-Preferably PNP (ARF and BNF are ok)
-Must be a foamie
-Must be less than 7 channels
Also if you guys know any good foamie Pitts bipes then tell me, I love the looks of Pitts biplanes!;)
Thanks!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
One of our good friends here on FT forums has recently swapped to 3d planes from quads. He uses a lot of twisted hobbies planes. Check out what he does and maybe send him a PM here or on his YT page for more information. He does stuff like this. His YT page is Poor Man FPV

Cool! I meant more like the big foamies but I think I'll look into small foamies so I can get some stick time in my yard during the winter. Also, I think I'm going to get the E-flite Prometheus because it is a good deal for the price right now, which is rare for HH. Thanks for the help and feel free to leave more suggestions because I won't be ordering the Prometheus until I have the spare $$$.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
You're in a strange spot in the 3D market ;P

3D stuff on 6s is generally going to be balsa, and quite large, think around the 60"-70" size, and they're all going to be ARFs, which you should read "more money in servos and motor/esc than airframe." The best recommendation I can give you is the Flex innovations Mamba 10E. Its a foam biplane that works on 3/4s and is under 7 channels. Plus, it's a pitts model 12, which i'm also a huge sucker for.. I flew one a few times at flite fest last year and it quickly became a favorite of mine. I just became the proud owner of one a few weeks ago, but haven't had the opportunity to fly it yet.

The mamba is the first 3D bipe I looked at and I was pretty sure that I wanted that as my 3d bipe. But then I invested in 6s packs for my Avanti and now I want more 6s planes. Also the Mamba 10 looks great and I love the Pitts 12 but it is $310!! For a small 3s 2200 power foamie that is a bit much to ask. I'm really set on the Prometheus because it is huge, foam and 6s powered. It isn't a super capable as a 3d plane but it will satisfy my needs.

Liam B

One thing to keep in mind is if the plane accepts a smaller battery. I found that the power on my Carbon Z Cub was just too much for me, and I downsized the LiPo to a 4s, and it's practically a park flyer. Not saying that your incapable of flying the craft, as it is nice to have when you want to fly in smaller spaces:)

One thing to keep in mind is if the plane accepts a smaller battery. I found that the power on my Carbon Z Cub was just too much for me, and I downsized the LiPo to a 4s, and it's practically a park flyer. Not saying that your incapable of flying the craft, as it is nice to have when you want to fly in smaller spaces:)

What "small spaces" are you flying a Carbon Z anything in? I wouldn't want to fly anything 6s powered anywhere besides my club field! The only other place I fly is a small park, which I use my UMX Timber for.

Liam B

What "small spaces" are you flying a Carbon Z anything in? I wouldn't want to fly anything 6s powered anywhere besides my club field! The only other place I fly is a small park, which I use my UMX Timber for.

I've found that most Carbon Z's can fly in a park on 4s. The Splendor, Cessna 150, etc.