Weekend FT 3D

Homey

Elite member
You said it was your first 3D plane, I watched your video. You flew it really well for your first. You even recovered it a couple times, well done. Looks like a solid build with the coroplast fuse as well. As far as how it flies i think you have the CG bang on. Its a plane that is designed to fly slow but it wont fly like a cub or storch. The larger tail surfaces help keep the plane aloft some but only when they are in a positive attitude which makes the plane, especially because of the symmetrical wing needs a little more incidence to fly, look like its dragging its A$$. Really it isn't. If that flight was less then half throttle then you got a 3D machine there, you just need to fly a little faster to get it to look and fly like a plane you would be used to. If anything in some ways it would make a good trainer. If you have the ability to do mixing in your Tx you could do a throttle elevator mix where at slower speeds the elevator pushes down 5-10% to try to level it out some.

I know on my FT-3D when I checked the CG i would have to do it upside down and right side up to find the balance point. I had VG's on mine as well and I don't think it matters which way they face, they just interrupt the flow of air to slow it down over the airfoil.
Thanks so much for your input! Really apprecuate it!

Best regards!

Peter

Homey

Elite member
And with a successful maiden comes some colour. Decided on tape and stickers I had laying around. Bottom will be easy for my older eyes to see!

Peter
20200417_202858.jpg
20200417_202917.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
SWEET!!! I'm borrowing that idea💡

My FT3D has THREE inch longer Wings and the rear Fuse is stretched about 4 inches.

SHOULD make it behave more like a Pattern flyer. 😉
THANKS @The Hangar for answering that for me. 👍👍 My Internet has been SCREWEY when it works...

The object of my build is - first, Bix - love the guy but he makes ALL his designs far TOO close coupled. Almost cartoony. Short Coupled Aircraft tend to be less stable, harder to Balance, and can get squirrelly QUICKLY!

Second, nearly all the 3D Aircraft I've seen (real and Model) have MUCH longer Fuselages.

And C, I've been WANTING to try these same Mods on an Edge 540!! 😁

OBVIOUS question is - WHY don't I just get a Pattern specific Plane??
..... I just LIKE the proportions and how the FT Edge 540 LOOKS! 😉😎

I am experimenting with making it not be a 3D Aircraft, by lightening the Wing loading, decreasing Control Surface sizes, and increasing leverage (LENGTHENING the Fuse!!)

The FT3D is MUCH simpler and a hell of a lot cheaper to cut up and play with!! 😜😎
So I'm experimenting with parameter changing with the simple and cheap FT3D!

If I can get any more Foam Board, and find something that works, I'll happily share with you, and everyone! 😁