What do quad peoples think about AMA Flight Fields - asking for a friend...

hyperbolic

So I'm pretty new to the RC scene in general, but I've put a solid two months of almost daily flying with my FT 210 quad. So I really love FPV, but finding good places to fly is a real challenge. When it's nice out, most of my spots have soccer games going on or just people out enjoying the parks. I'm always careful about avoiding squishy obstacles so I pack up and leave when I see people coming into an area.

Because of all that and because I want to get more plugged into the local community I've started to look at these AMA Flight Fields - basically these medium sized fields set aside to fly RC (which I'm sure you know about LOL). The main thing I want is a place to roll into a burn through a solid 6 packs to practice things like going though gates.

Here is my experience so far (but I want to know what you guys think in general about these places)

... So last Thursday I stopped by my first Flight Field during their "trainer night" and met some of the guys. They were all very friendly, but it was clear that I wouldn't be flying my quad there anytime soon. At least not that night. One of the guys suggested I return over the weekend - there seems to be a kind of vetting process going on and that if I were to fly my quad it would be at the far end of the field over a "heliport" of some kind with a spotter.

As I looked around I couldn't help but notice that most of fliers have small fixed wing LOS airplanes and that the field itself was about 800 meters with no obstacles. Also one of the rules is that you have to stay in that 800 meter box. I asked one of the "drone guys" if they ever put gates up and he said that they do depending on who is there but that the gates basically can damage the fixed wing planes.

My Final Two Cents ->

My impression was that really fixed wings and quads have drastically different needs and it's hard to see how this setup would really help. Also, trying to fly in these "sanctioned" fields involves a lot of rules and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this part of the hobby. Also, not to mention that even my beginner quad would shoot through a field of that size in about two seconds - that can't be an idea place to practice racing.

I can't really decide if it's really worth jumping through all these hoops just to get a place to fly. I have a limited time and money budget for this hobby...

ageorge

woah you guys are sooooo lucky to have theese places to fly aahahhahaha imm jealous :).Where i live i have to literally fly in a jungle infested with snakes and buffalloes 40 minutes away from my home.However it is a group but im not really super involved as i have no idea what they talk about (they talk in vietnamese) ahhahaha.I would love to have a dedicated flying field and not have to scavenge planes while avoiding snakes ahahah.Enjoy what u have u r very lucky ahahhaha.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I know exactly what you are talking about mate. There is a club the next town over in Geneseo N.Y. They fly a lot of fixed wing and a lot of free flight stuff. When I inquired about joining nearly two years ago they were Ok with new members. Right up til that point they asked what I fly and was told they do not want "Those" people that fly quads in their club at all. "Those" people are not safe and do nothing but stupid things with their gear. Two days later they have a video out with people in an open field all stacked up in an area the size of a baseball diamond, some with drinks in hand throwing free flight planes in random directions yelling "Duck" when one goes crashing into the group as they laugh.

But quads aren't safe....

Seriously beers and mixed drinks in hand flying planes... the only reason I got an AMA membership was so I could fly at Flite Fest.. I flew four packs there for 75 dollar fee to AMA.. That's just poor math in my book.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Your experience at an AMA field is unfortunate but not unique. Look around and try another club. Clubs are people and a group shouldn't be judged by the actions of one unit.

There is a lot of politickin' going on and our hobby is on the menu here in the states at Congress. Lots of folks blame 'drones' for that. IMO, this is creating the tension you detect at that club.

IMO there are good reasons to be an AMA member. Whether or not you are a member, the AMA safety code is the gold standard that has kept our hobby safe, sane and legal for a century.

Well stated, ageorge. You put some perspective on our hobby for sure.

Allow me to retort, however, that not all snakes slither. Wherever you fly, be aware of your situation at all times and mind the snakes. :)

ageorge

hahaha yes id do anything as long as I can be in the hobby and fly quads and planes :):).Whenever i go flying i always wear boots and thick jeans ahaha just to be safe lol.Love the community and the hobby tons

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I understand The "Snob" mentality. Its been that way since the seventies when I first learned bout RC planes. But all they had to say to me was yes we accept new members BUT we are strictly a free flight club. No need to get all ignorant or blame someone for others actions.

There are two other clubs not too far away none list quad copters as welcome but that could be lumped under "Electric" or " Helis" as the both list gassers and electric helis as welcome. With not being allowed to drive it just makes it that much more a hassle to get to one of them just to be insulted or turned away.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I second the thoughts of @CranialRectosis. It's all about the people in a particular club. If they don't like me or what I fly, chances are that club isn't for me anyway. All of the fields in my area are pretty open to various types of flight. There are several clubs around town that don't ban quads or drones, but do not allow FPV, not because they don't like it, but due to no airborn cameras at all are permitted by the land managers/owners. I tote around a 7" ground station so that we can take passengers along on our FPV equipped birds. (both rotor and winged based). It's an eye opening experience for many of the old-school folks who have decades of LOS but have never experienced FPV. The AMA club I'm lucky enough to be in is only a mile from my house which really makes it ideal for me. It's a no-nonsense, mutual respect based, no politics, no meetings, be safe, have fun, low cost, private club. The president can kick anyone for any reason, no questions asked. Go in open minded, check out several fields/clubs, share your love for flight, be safe, and have a great time.

Cheers!
LitterBug

tamuct01

I'm sorry to hear about your poor experiences with an AMA sanctioned club. I can echo some of the comments that they are all not like that. The club I belong to flies in a city park (we have a contract with the city for them to mow it and provide electricity). Our club is quite welcoming to planes, helicopters, and multirotors. I think it works well for the quad racers and the planes is that across from the runway area is a large wooded area for folks to do freestyle and racing. Since most of the quad folks stay low and fast, they hardly ever enter the same airspace as the planes. We all take turns sharing the space, and it's super friendly. The only incident that I've ever had is when I showed up on a Saturday to find the MultiGP folks practicing and had setup gates up and down the runway without notifying the club that the site was shutdown to other aircraft. We have remedied the situation and moved on from that. I hope that you are able to find another club, or start your own, that is friendly to all RC pilots.

Jason of Gaming

Gravity is heartless...
Dang Psyborg, you gotta be a little salty about that. I'm in the states with @CranialRectosis and we really do have a ton of "drone drama" where everyone is blaming drones where the real problem is the people. People crash drones, people cause problems, not the drones themselves. Places like this forum are great at educating people, but some people just want to go buy a big drone, don't learn how to fly it, and get the whole community into trouble.

Also I remember hearing Flite Test talk about how they have seen a lot of places where people new the hobby just aren't very respected and people dictate forums, but how on their forum everyone is being helpful, and how the quad community is really growing and gaining tons of great people.

hyperbolic

Thanks for your insights everyone - it seems like my experience is not unique and probably better than some of the others (definitely better than than jungle flying). Having a wooded section would be nice, I think that's a big part of what is missing from the fields I saw. Basically, without some obstacles it's not all that fun just flying a quad around a square space. But, I will probably stop by there again - they were certainly friendly and helpful.

I think that part of my struggle here is just finding places to fly and people to fly with - the AMA suggests always having a spotter, but I don't know many people who have the time to spot and fly 10+ batteries each day. Even for me I'm trying to fit in flying time in between everything else that goes on with my life.

Liam B

If you find the right club, you'll have a great experience. Where I live, theres an extremely strict, no fun club that is (unfortunately) very popular, but if you go down the road just a bit, theres a very fun, friendly group of people, the people you would want to see and meet at an RC club.

So, my answer is to keep looking, and you'll find somewhere you like:)

Jason of Gaming

Gravity is heartless...
As far as the AMA recommending spotters, its nice, but at a big field with little other people, it is pretty unnecessary. I think that they really want you to have a spotter if you are going to fly a Yuneec or something around an event, which makes sense.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Having a spotter comes in handy for many reasons. Say your fpv goes out, or you eject your flight battery, Spotter can point you in the right direction and help you find your stuff. Spotter can intercept the creepy stalker walking up on you when you are out of body. Spotters can also be good company....

And many many other reasons.

Cheers!
LitterBug

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
If you find the right club, you'll have a great experience. Where I live, theres an extremely strict, no fun club that is (unfortunately) very popular, but if you go down the road just a bit, theres a very fun, friendly group of people, the people you would want to see and meet at an RC club.

So, my answer is to keep looking, and you'll find somewhere you like:)

I completely agree. I don't have a multirotor, but most clubs that I have been part of tend to lump Helis and and multirotors in the same group. Some will say stay off our runway and fly in the corner, and some are fine with just about anything. The best part of a club by far is meeting more people who enjoy flying. And, even if FPV/multis aren't popular at your field, you have the chance to change it. Take some of the "old school" fliers for an FPV ride along. You'll be surprised at the responses. Go to a few of the meetings, and discuss a dedicated multirotor area with leaving gates set up, or maybe even starting a multiGP chapter. One of my last clubs did that, and it was quite a spectacle.

And, the more you share experiences with other club members, they might be willing to introduce you the fixed wing side of things as well. Almost always at clubs there has been someone who carries a buddy box setup for flight training and they love taking new pilots up flying.