What do you hate about other people's RC Flying videos?

RPS-13

What do I hate about others videos?
(Some of this is repeats but it helps agree the popular content)

1 - I don't want to see the nose of the plane, props or multirotor arms sticking in the view. If the vehicle is in view then I want to see the whole thing and how it moves. Even then only for a few short highlight shots to give the video some reference to how it was created. To get those shots the camera has to be on a pole or on another vehicle flying in proximity.

2 - unless you just have loads of those most amazing views then keep it short, and just show the great bits. A highlights real is all you need and don't use any filler. Better to be short or have to go and fly again to get some more footage.

3 - image quality is vital. I don't want to see a video from the fpv security camera with noise and an OSD in the way. If you are going to go to the effort to edit a video then put an HD camera on.

4 - I do not want to hear the motor or the wind throughout the video. Fade to music immediately. I don't mind what music so much, but keep it half decent and if you want to use something with lyrics then keep it clean so I can show your great video to my friends and family. (No death metal either thanks)

5 - lighting is important to the image quality. Dark and grainy video is not fun to watch. So go out flying when the light is good. The "golden hours" at the start and end of the day give the best contrast and colour to most photography. I don't think I have seen a decent night flying video due to the grainy image most cameras create.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Nobody posted it but im sure noone likes it !

crotch shots !!!

Please edit in the videoclip the part that people squat down with their legs wide open to check if the camera is recording ...

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Flitetest should have a contest of the best video. Of course apply some restrictions and limitations, i.e., video length, how much of the video should be from the air, etc. Let the Flitetest subscribers vote on the best. Give away some of those dollar tree things they sell or something RC related for a 1st thru 3rd place winner. Maybe even the contest once a quarter. :cool:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Nobody posted it but im sure noone likes it !

crotch shots !!!

Please edit in the videoclip the part that people squat down with their legs wide open to check if the camera is recording ...

Yeah, I try to edit those out. If I don't want to see it, I doubt anyone else does either... :D

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Flitetest should have a contest of the best video. Of course apply some restrictions and limitations, i.e., video length, how much of the video should be from the air, etc. Let the Flitetest subscribers vote on the best. Give away some of those dollar tree things they sell or something RC related for a 1st thru 3rd place winner. Maybe even the contest once a quarter. :cool:

I've seen it done on "other" forums where the members take on the challenge of conducting the contests. The prize is usually just bragging rights, the feeling of a job well done. I think the guys have their hands full as it is. I doubt the need the added headache of trying to run and sponsor contests.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Oh come on. That was back in the day when if it would lift a camera and actually maneuver, it would win. :p

But, Flitetest has you guys running the forum to handle the contests. All you need to do is get them to give you a box of goodies as prizes!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Surprisingly enough, there were plenty of people doing AP and AV at the time. Although the same contest wouldn't have been as interesting now, with as many great multirotors available.

Flying low to the ground isn't as much of a challenge.

Maybe I'll try to revisit all of those sites with a gopro and my tricopter.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
At this point, I imagine those dollar tree kits cost them little more than raw board and postage.

And it would really kick up the site visits. ;)

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I recently got an HD camera and have been filming planes at my club...can I get everyone's opinion? I've only been using Windows Movie Maker to edit but I've been trying to cut out butt shots and out of focus or boring stretches. It's hard to film RC planes and zoom in to get detail and keep the camera steady!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/bicyclemonkey/videos?view=0

Pretty much only the five newest uploads are the ones with my new cam.

thanks!!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Okay I have to know, is the Beast as awesome in person as it is on video? I love that plane.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Yep, the Beast is pretty cool, and this is coming from a guy that can take or leave 3D planes! The DA-120 is crazy loud.

wrench797

I have never made a video of anything RC.....yet. I need to learn to fly first....but I am working on that. But I have watched quite a few videos and I have to say that my all time favorite video up to this point is the one David made with the X8 "Above the clouds". Awsome video quality, awsome scenery, cool music, and just the right length. On the subject of length, I am reminded of something my english teacher told us about verbal reports. They should be like a woman's skirt.......long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep your interest. Just my .02

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That's good advice on the length!

You should go ahead and film now though. Especially as you're learning to fly better. You'd be surprised what you can capture, and if nothing else, it might be good for a laugh later on, when you can look back and see your progress (or after you've gotten over the death of yet another plane!).

I still crash when I push too far, I guess we all do, but if you have it on video at least you can go back and see what went wrong, also.

MrClean

Currently one of my favs, Monkeyfest 2013 shot by one of the fliers and his fpv gear which was several planes and a quadcopter. The opening chase scene is his Penguin with my SPAD USS in front. Intro is a very, non lucid, just turned 40 year old explaining his "condition". The whole tape of that conversation with the porcelain goddess was quite entertaining.

RoyBro

Mentor
I recently got an HD camera and have been filming planes at my club...can I get everyone's opinion? It's hard to film RC planes and zoom in to get detail and keep the camera steady!!!

I'm no expert, but I know what I like and what irritates me. So take this for what it's worth.

Let me start by saying you have a lot of good footage with which to work. And Movie Maker will do just fine for the type of edits you want to do. Keep everything simple. Movie Maker has a lot of fancy transitions from which to choose. Don't use them. A simple cut, or cross-fade will work as well or better than a fancy tumble or zoom.

I noticed that you sped up the engine starting sequences. Time compression, to the extent you used it only tends to make thing a bit comedic. If you want to capture the engine start, cut out all but one or two attempts besides the actual start. Then cut to the take off. Skip the warm up and taxi sequence.

Zooming and magnification:
For the most part, you don't want to touch the zoom. Set the zoom level and leave it. If you do want to capture some shot of different magnification, then do so, but edit out the actual zoom from one magnification to the other.
You don't want the plane to be a tiny dot, but you don't want it to fill the frame either. A plane in flight needs some context. In the first video, some of the 3D shots were confusing because there was no surrounding area to give it context. As far as I could tell you were spinning the camera instead of the plane. In the second video, it wasn't so bad because the clouds in the background gave the plane context. You could tell it was the plane that was moving.
Leave some space around the plane. It is easier to follow and will seem less jerky.
Don't try to zoom in too closely to get detail shots, when the plane is flying, it's the flying that is important. You can get close up detail shots while the plane is on the ground, like when starting the engine or taking off.

Wow am I ever opinionated. So that's how I would do it. but you do it to please yourself. If your happy with it, who cares what I or anyone else thinks.

Have fun

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I'll state again for MrClean: My biggest complaint is an imbedded video as above in post#37 that when clicked on states

This Video contains content from SME. It is restricted from playback on certain sites. Watch on YouTube

Having said that I like the video and I WANT plans for that Klingon Bird of Prey.

Thurmond

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I like seeing crashes, but I HATE it when it's over a three minute long video and there is no substance leading up to the cause of the crash. Either have the crash only, or only footage before to show what caused the crash. Like if your prop falls off from a hundred feet in the air, yeah, I want to see the entire glide down to the ground. If you're having an issue and can't get your plane back to you, yeah, I want to see/experience the panic of you trying to just get it home. But if you're flying around, no issues, then do one stupid thing to crash, I don't want to see how flawless and boring your flight was before the crash.

I admit that I've made some bad videos. First I wanted to talk about my plane before I flew it, but I tended to ramble. Then I tried talking while flying but I end up taking awkward pauses and saying stuff that I wish I didn't say while capturing some good footage. Lately I've been sticking to good shots/highlights and keeping it short and only of the plane flying. But these are all videos that accompany an article. I feel like the article is where the information is, and the video is just a way to better show how it flies and what it looks like in the air.

About music, I think background music is best. I've made some videos with music that probably no one else likes. But I want to start using songs that are either funny or just background music. (For 'legal' reasons I actually want to start making my own, bad, background music.)

I'm working on making a video of highlights. I'm waiting until I have enough footage worth showing. Yet I want to keep it under 5 minutes, hopefully only 3.

I also want to say that I've noticed that if I'm filming what I'm flying, it takes away from what I'm doing at that moment. I find myself trying to 'show off for the camera' if you will. I do have some great footage that I love to personally watch. I'm sure a few years from now I'll watch it again and smile. But sometimes I like to just fly and not care. Yet part of me wants to record everything for those spectacular crashes that are bound to happen. It's not like I'm wasting film or anything.