What is the 'goop' on that TekSumo

brizrobbo

Hi Folks,

In this episode on the TekSumo and Bonsai wings, the Josh's mention a 'goop' that they put along the leading edge to make it less brittle.

Can anyone tell me what this 'goop' actually is?

Much thanks.

brizrobbo

I'm in Australia, so will have to hunt for the silicone-adhesive-goop-replacement. I have some EPP lying around, so I will be able to do some experimenting. Thanks for the tip.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Shoe Goo works great. The key characteristic is that it dries to a flexible rubber that still sticks to the surface. It keeps the EPP from getting gouged out when you crash.

510thousandths

Just someone else.
Mentor
Looking through some .au websites, I came across Selleys Shoe glue. Obviously, being on the complete otherside of the planet, I can not verify that the product is similar, but it is where I would start testing.

I think part of the magic of the Goop is that it does 2 things (not a chemical engineer, so keep that in mind)

#1 I think the toulene partially breaks down the epp foam, but not enough to cause any real harm.
#2 it fills the voids in the foam and bonds onto the partially broken down foam.

brizrobbo

A good lead...thanks. I have had some selley's shoe glue before - I actually used it for shoes would you believe. :D

I will report back my findings.

Team_Monkey

Just google GOOP adhesive.
GOOP is an american adhesive. It normally dissolves foam but EPP must be safe.
I use it quite a bit on my coroplast nitro powered planes. For foamies I use either Beacon Foam Tac or Beacon 3 n 1. "3 n 1" is the more liquid of the two and could be worked across a leading edge as they describe.

Tench745

Master member
Be wary with Shoe Goo. I used it to stick some nose weight in a foam plane and it ate clean through the cowling. Test on a scrap first.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
Shoe Goo should be fine for EPP foam like the Teksumo. It's really good for EPP because it dries to a semi-flexible rubbery material that flexes similar to how EPP flexes. It's great for coating the front of the wings. You can thin it with a bit of toluene or xylene from the hardware store if you want to put on thin and light coats. I have also used it to attach some pool-noodle foam to a plane. Hot glue didn't work because it melted the noodle, but the Shoe Goo worked great.