"What Radio?"

Cotharyus

I am following these Radio-discussions because I am planning to buy an extra transmitter in the future.
At the moment I have an Orange T-six and this device works very nice, especially for the little price that it has cost me.

But as I intend to fly together with my two sons, ... we will need more transmitters.
The Taranis-story got me interested .. but I have a question: why do lots of people use Orange-receivers with the Taranis-radio?
I just swa that FrSky has it's own receivers. Why do many people prefer the Orange-receivers over the proper FrSky-ones?

I suspect the answer to this is the same reason I want the Orange TX module - so that it can bind to all the DSM2 and DMSX stuff out there. As to why they don't use the FrSky native stuff when not binding to something Spek - who knows? I know I plan to use the FrSky stuff. I mean, for the money, why not? I remember paying $150 for a 2 channel receiver for a buggy.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I would say it doesn't make sense... the ACCST protocol FrSky have is one of the best and safest protocols out there, surpassed actually only by the FASST system by Futaba (not the clone FASST ones, but the original Rx's which are really 2 Rx's in one), and also a lot better than the DSMX system. If it were because they didn't want to use ACCST because they only have the DSMX module because they fly so many BNFs, then I could begin to understand it, but the Taranis has the ACCST module built into it, so you have it even if you don't buy an external module...

I guess it'¡s the same as the eternal question of "Boxers of briefs?", or in my case, "knickers or thong?":eek:

AeroMaestro

The Taranis-story got me interested .. but I have a question: why do lots of people use Orange-receivers with the Taranis-radio?
I just swa that FrSky has it's own receivers. Why do many people prefer the Orange-receivers over the proper FrSky-ones?

Here's my own story ---
My first "real" transmitter was a DX6i. I've used that radio exclusively for the last two years. So for all the planes and quads I've built/purchased in the last two years, I've installed cheap DSM2 or DSMX OrangeRX receivers. They work great for most of my purposes, worked fine with the DX6i, and they're dirt cheap.

I just bought my FrSky Taranis about five weeks ago, and didn't want to tear out all the receivers in my planes, so I also bought an OrangeRX transmitter module. The $25 module is a heck of a lot cheaper than replacing all the receivers in my planes. (And, as I mentioned above, I think the Taranis with the Orange Module actually gets better range and fewer dropouts than my DX6i did. But I haven't done any real "tests." I can say that one of my favorite flying fields is full of rf interference. I used to get 2-3 brief brownouts every time I flew there with my DX6i/DSMX planes. Since I switched to the Taranis, I haven't had a single brownout either on my cheapo DSMX receivers or my new FrSky ACCST receiver.)

But for my main quadcopter, I swapped out that cheapo OrangeRX receiver with a nice new FrSky receiver. I'm loving the diversity antennas, and the SBUS, and the RSSI, and the telemetry. This past weekend I got the RSSI feed working in my OSD, and flew out to 2500 feet, and the RSSI was still at 98%! Everything I build from now on will be FrSky. (Except the two Mighty Minis I just ordered. I've got two little DSMX receivers sitting around for those guys.)

And I've already pre-ordered that E-Flite Viking 280, so it's not like I'm going to abandon DSMX any time soon.

Last edited:

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I'm getting an OrangeRX module just to be able to fly my NanoQuad with an internal DSMX receiver from the big Taranis instead of the toy transmitter that is included...

Ludodg

I would say it doesn't make sense... the ACCST protocol FrSky have is one of the best and safest protocols out there, surpassed actually only by the FASST system by Futaba (not the clone FASST ones, but the original Rx's which are really 2 Rx's in one), and also a lot better than the DSMX system. If it were because they didn't want to use ACCST because they only have the DSMX module because they fly so many BNFs, then I could begin to understand it, but the Taranis has the ACCST module built into it, so you have it even if you don't buy an external module...

I guess it'¡s the same as the eternal question of "Boxers of briefs?", or in my case, "knickers or thong?":eek:

hello Epitaph,

Can you provide me some more info on the differences between FASST, ACCST, Spektrum-system,...?
I know that Spektrum chooses a frequency and holds that line between TX and RX,
As for FASST, I think it is a kind of frequency-hopping-system, ...
Actually I would like to understand why you prefer one system over an next one.
Thx.

Cotharyus

RSSI is the technology Taranis uses to track (and display!) signal strength. OSD = on screen display. Conclusion: FunkeyMonk has a Taranis he's using to fly something FPV. He's clearly quite happy with it.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
SBUS is a method to connect different sensors (for telemetry) or even servos using one single wire to the receiver.

AeroMaestro

RSSI is the technology Taranis uses to track (and display!) signal strength. OSD = on screen display. Conclusion: FunkeyMonk has a Taranis he's using to fly something FPV. He's clearly quite happy with it.

Ha! Well concluded, Cotharyus.

My X8R receiver from FrSky has the normal 8 outputs. It also has two additional outputs that I find very useful:
1. RSSI output. "Received Signal Strength Indicator." On my quadcopter, I hook up that output to my flight controller, and the flight controller sends the information to my OSD "On Screen Display" which puts the RSSI info (among other info) in my video feed coming to my goggles. I can see a percentage display of how good my control connection is to my quad. And on the Taranis, I've also set up an alarm that tells me if my RSSI gets below 40% so I can turn around before I risk brownouts.

2. SBUS (I have no idea what SBUS stands for, and I'm too lazy to google it.) That allows me to connect just one cable from my receiver to my flight controller, and it contains all the signals from channels 1-8. I don't need to connect eight separate servo cables. It has two benefits. First, it cuts down on the number of wires needed and cleans up the build. And second, it allows me to get 16 channels out of a receiver with only 8 regular outputs. I use the SBUS connector to send channels 1-8 to my flight controller, and then the other 8 normal outputs I'm using for things like my gimbal control.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The Spektrum system seems to be very notorious with brownouts, and even with the DSMX system they are still more prone to it than any other system. The thing about the original FASST system in Futaba receivers is that apart from being a spread spectrum system that has been out for many years (it is the main one used in cranes for example, and is has been used for many years, so they had a chance to perfect a system as cranes need to be 100% safe to use and be foolproof to interference), that has 2 antennas not just to feed information to the receiver from more variety of angles, but actually each antenna goes to its own individual receiver circuit within the "brick", so if one fails, it's like having a "backup" on board, but also because the actual system it uses rather than just changing from one frequency to the other at lightening speed and feeding it to the servos, it actually scans the data it is receiving, and if it happens to receive from more than one source, it compares it to the data that it has already been receiving to assess which of the packages it is receiving is the most likely to be the right one. What this means is that if the aircraft flies into an area where there is interference from saturation of frequency, in the case of most others (like Spektrum) it will follow the strongest of all those it is receiving which complies with the protocols, where as FASST makes an analysis to see if it follows the patters of what it was receiving previously (type of commands, pulse rate, signal strength, which of the 2 receiver circuits is getting which signal to determine general direction of source being the same, etc.) and decides which is the one it should take commands from, which isn't always the strongest of those sources. ACCST have tried to follow this system but at the same time keep the costs low, like using just the one receiver with 2 antennas system and things like that, but also does the assessment, although not as many times per second as FASST, but this makes it a great, safe alternative.

Last edited:

Cotharyus

Thought I'd follow up on this for completeness. There is a Taranis in my future, for certain. For now however, I've picked up a DX6i to fly my Nano with for a number of reasons:

Dirt cheap, really, and right now you get a free receiver, which may come in handy later. Additionally, I had a discount code to go with that deal. It runs on 4 AA batteries, which for the moment, simplifies my life a little. Also, it's good enough for what I'm doing at the moment. Finally, the filming rig that's being looked at for a project I'm involved in comes with a DX6i - this gives me a backup in case there's a problem with that one, plus it gives me something I can buddy box when I put a radio in my son's hands.

Anyhow, thanks for all the help here.