Solved What Spektrum transmitter should I buy?

BenH

I first bought a DXS transmitter + Receiver (AR410) combo when I got started with this hobby. I only recently learned that the DXS transmitter is not programmable, so I am looking to upgrade my transmitter. Since I already have a Spektrum receiver, I would like to stay with the Spektrum brand. A friend of mine from my local airfield suggested that I buy a DX6 transmitter. However, it seems that the DX6 is discontinued. Are there any similar quality, programmable transmitters from Spektrum that below $250?

Last edited:

FlyBreakFixFly

The NX6 is what is out there from Spektrum. I'd try for a used DX8 or something with more channels.

If you are willing to put in a bit of learning, an OpenTx/EdgeTx transmitter like a Radiomaster TX16S is far more versatile than a basic 6/8 channel Spektrum TX. The gimbals are nicer, it has a rechargeable battery and the touchscreen is awesome. In addition, the TX16 can use just about any protocol out there. That opens up more options for receivers and planes.

My experience was going from a DX5E to a DX6E and selling that for a TX16 once I purchased a plane that needed more than 6 channels to operate.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Take a look at the Radio Master, the one with the 4 in 1 module. I have been running a 4 in 1 on my Turnigy 9xPro for many years, never had any range issues.

BenH

Most people at my local airfield use Spektrum, so I would rather stay with Spektrum instead of switching to something like Radiomaster. Would you recommend the DX6e? I honestly don't see myself flying something with more than 6 channels in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:

JDSnavely

My DX6 was apparently 2nd generation and I was able to update to do Forward Programing. I personally love the SAFE stabilization option though I don't always need it. We have a DXS, DXe (came with Mini Apprentice RTF), DX6 and NX8. We use the DX6 and NX8 almost exclusively just so we can click SAFE on and off. I saw a youtube video that showed how to reverse servos on the DXe but I haven't tried it yet. We don't use SAFE on the Mini Scout and we will soon try to fly 3 or 4 Mini Scouts at the same time with these Spectrum Transmitters and the basic 4 channel Spectrum Reciever. Hopefully, we will get them all working.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The DX6e is what I have, not through any great research but it seems to be popular. It's been bullet proof for 3 years and I haven't come close to stressing it's capabilities. I can do throttle, both ailerons on a Y, elevator, rudder, flaps and a spare for my "lost in the bean field" beeper.

Scurvy

Total newb question: With the vast compatibility of the Radiomaster 16TX with 4 in 1module, can it be used with a DJI Mini 3+ or Acutel EVO Nano+ quad?

BenH

The NX6 is what is out there from Spektrum. I'd try for a used DX8 or something with more channels.

If you are willing to put in a bit of learning, an OpenTx/EdgeTx transmitter like a Radiomaster TX16S is far more versatile than a basic 6/8 channel Spektrum TX. The gimbals are nicer, it has a rechargeable battery and the touchscreen is awesome. In addition, the TX16 can use just about any protocol out there. That opens up more options for receivers and planes.

My experience was going from a DX5E to a DX6E and selling that for a TX16 once I purchased a plane that needed more than 6 channels to operate.
Can I still use my Spektrum AR410 receiver with the Radiomaster TX16S?

FlyBreakFixFly

Can I still use my Spektrum AR410 receiver with the Radiomaster TX16S?

Yep. I have four Eflite planes with Spektrum receivers bound to my TX16. Another has a generic DSMX receiver and one has a FlySky receiver. It's multi protocol with support for a lot of different TX protocols. All my Spektrum planes have SAFE on a switch.

There's nothing wrong with buying a NX6 or other Spektrum TX and I wasn't trying to imply there was. It's that there are TX's that have far more features for the same or cheaper. Since you're at a point where a new TX is warranted, it's a logical place (IMO) to look at every option especially if you want to branch out from more expensive DSMX receivers.

Long story short, a DX6/DX6E or NX6 is a fine, capable TX that's a great next step from a DXE. Since you mentioned that a lot of your club uses Spektrum too, that will help with any troubleshooting that will arise.

FlyBreakFixFly

Total newb question: With the vast compatibility of the Radiomaster 16TX with 4 in 1module, can it be used with a DJI Mini 3+ or Acutel EVO Nano+ quad?

I'd use the included DJI or Autel controller. Camera drones like those really need the OEM controller since it's interfacing between the phone app and drone. There's a lot of DJI/Autel specific functionality in those controllers. A racing style FPV drone without the specific phone app could (and often do) use the TX16.

BenH

Yep. I have four Eflite planes with Spektrum receivers bound to my TX16. Another has a generic DSMX receiver and one has a FlySky receiver. It's multi protocol with support for a lot of different TX protocols. All my Spektrum planes have SAFE on a switch.

There's nothing wrong with buying a NX6 or other Spektrum TX and I wasn't trying to imply there was. It's that there are TX's that have far more features for the same or cheaper. Since you're at a point where a new TX is warranted, it's a logical place (IMO) to look at every option especially if you want to branch out from more expensive DSMX receivers.

Long story short, a DX6/DX6E or NX6 is a fine, capable TX that's a great next step from a DXE. Since you mentioned that a lot of your club uses Spektrum too, that will help with any troubleshooting that will arise.
I just did some more research into the different transmitters you recommended, and I found that Spektrum transmitters might just be beyond my budget. The Radiomaster TX16S seems to be a great value transmitter that I can grow into, while still letting me use my Spektrum receiver. Because of the many features of the TX16S, I will probably buy that one and then troubleshoot on my own.

AudioCyclist

I just did some more research into the different transmitters you recommended, and I found that Spektrum transmitters might just be beyond my budget. The Radiomaster TX16S seems to be a great value transmitter that I can grow into, while still letting me use my Spektrum receiver. Because of the many features of the TX16S, I will probably buy that one and then troubleshoot on my own.
BenH,

The Radiomaster TX16S is a great value and with it built-in 4-in-1 radio subsystem, compatible with a vast array of receivers and transmission protocols. Once you have one in your hands, go to YouTube and visit the RCVideoReviews channel. He has an extensive library of tutorials, how-tos, and quick snip-its that will bring you up to speed quickly covering how to make the most of the transmitter and EdgeTX.