What's on Your Mind? Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves...

earthsciteach

Lobster & bmsweb - I'm completely uninformed of Australia's semi-automatic gun ban and how it was implemented. Did the ban cover only the sale of new weapons or did the government collect the existing ones, as well? I see Australians being very much like Americans in terms of a mindset of personal independence and self-sufficience. As such, I would see a confiscation being very ineffective and highly contentious.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
. . As such, I would see a confiscation being very ineffective and highly contentious.

In all honesty I'm no expert on gun laws, but its worth noting that even BB Guns are illegal in Australia lol But on a serious note, the confiscation does "appear" to be every effective. Don't confuse that statement with it actually being effective, this is the picture the media paints and you know the media can't be wrong ;)

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
There's not a total ban on guns, but you have to prove a legitimate use for one. If you live in a city, there's a lot of red tape to wade through to get a gun licence and it has to be secured in a gun safe when not being used. If you have some land or regular access to areas open to shooting it's easier to get a gun.

Automatic and Semi-automatic weapons were banned by the federal government following an horrific massacre in a tourist town in Tasmania called Port Arthur. The government bought back those weapons from the public and destroyed them. After a generous period of amnesty, they introduced heavy fines for owning 'prescribed' weapons.

Not many here have missed these sorts of weapons because they weren't very widespread. There's not the same weapon culture here, though I have to admit I wouldn't mind doing a bit of shooting every now and then.

earthsciteach

Here is a good lecture from Burt Rutan about his companies, planes, and what he is doing in retirement. Its long, but good. My favorite part is where he slams Boeing for being so ridiculous in their policies.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Cool, can't wait to see you entry!

Personally I'm considering repairing my OrangeRx antenna which suffered a miserable destruction of which I will not speak. But I've researched the following:

The receiver antenna on the ORx 610 is a 1/4 wave antenna - this apparently gives best reception all around the antenna (sucks least when the tip is pointed straight at the transmitter) and this means that it is 4.96" / 4 which is 1.24" long which in my language is 31 mm.

I read servo wire can be used - so tomorrow morning I'll work on this before going to work. I'll be posting an article about that as well, because - why not?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Consider Hodges my LHS, even though it's 1hr away and there are two closer. The other two are nice, and building up good flying/driving fields, but they're too far to regularly fly from and frankly the selection can't compete with Hodges.

Never been to the pecan patch, but debating about going to the FPV fly-in in a couple of weekends. I'm really nowhere near thinking about getting into FPV, but it does look cool.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Mark, the guy who owns the property, is a great guy. AND he has a pool...

I used to go to Hodges a few times a year, but I've been letting life get in the way.

I take it you know the "hounds" then.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thought it was Mike -- or are you referring to the Pecan Patch?

I've met Aileron, if that's what you mean, but it's hard to go there and not. If there are more (or I'm missing the joke), then no.

Santa Rosa is a bit of a ride to Americus -- made the trip many times to visit your noisy neighbors on the other side of the bay -- I can see why you'd take the trip, though.

earthsciteach

The movie would definitely been better as a drinking game. I'm pretty sure I would have passed out by the time the airplane slut met the American, though. The crashes in the sewage pond alone would induce alcohol poisoning.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thanks Monkey. Sounds like a great place.

Ok, teach, out with it. Which awfull-good movie is it?