When is 1C really 1C? (question on charging 1S LiPo)

OneFlightWonder

Hey, everything I read says that I should charge LiPos at 1C or (the mAh/1000) How strict is that rule in regards to 1S batteries?

The reason I ask is, I have a BNF quad that came with a 200mAh capacity battery. but the dinky usb charger it came with is rated out put of 500mA. Charging at 1C (0.2A) on my balance charger takes about an hour to charge from 3.3V to 4.2V. Charging the battery from the included USB charger takes about 22-25min.

This "name brand" "factory" charger looks to be charging my 1S at 2.5C. My question to the more expreianced than I is, is this a safe practice and can I, or rather, should I charge these on my main charger at the same rate the USB charges.

Whats best? 1C? 2.5C? somewhere in between? I do like less charge time and more flying time!

Any input is appreciated, also correct me if my understandings above are false. Thanks FT Forum!

~OFW

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Welcome to the FT Forum!

From my experience, it comes down to battery life and safety. The lower C charge rate will be easier on your batteries and give them a longer life. I notice this most on my one cell batteries since I have switched from the USB factory charger to my accucell6. My batteries are having a longer usable life as the charge rate is lower.
You can charge even higher but not safely as the batteries will get hot and can be damaged or catch fire, all not good stuff.

KRAR

Most batteries also have a charge rating. aka Pulse are 5C for most of them meaning if I have a 5000 mah battery I can charge that at 25 amps. As Bridge Inspector stated it is safer and better to charge at a lower C, better for the battery all around. So check the manufacturer specifications. For the most part however 1C is a safe bet.

To answer your question about USB, most USB outputs on computers can only output 500 - 800 miliamps. This is just due to the fact that usb on a computer is mainly meant for data exchange and not charging. So they can not design the usb charger to handle more that 500 miliamps

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Lectron Pro says 2C for its batteries. I charge my 2S 200mAh batteries at 500mAh because it is the only thing I have to charge them.

Now I did stupidly plug my 200mAh 2S into a 1.5A car charger and it instantly shredded it. It got hot immediately and it puffed.