Which Flite Test Build Kit for All out Speed?

eddyalce

Hi All, I am new to this forum. Looking to build my first Flite Test scratch build and purchase my first kit. Which one of these speed build kits can go the fastest? I would like to get around 85MPH on one of these.

Is the FT Spitfire or FT Racer the fastest airframe?? Or is there a faster air frame that I should look at? What type of hot glue gun do i need to use? I have one but it is the Low heat type. Will i need to get the High Heat glue gun? Also this is my first time building from scratch, how hard are these to assemble?

Thanks,

Eddy

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
versa wing i have found to be the fastest but also the best flight/durability characteristics and being only 8 pieces to cut/ glue makes it buildable in a few mins to an hour (once its cut out). you will need a hot gun for the long glue runs to stay hot while folding. 6 bucks at walmart for a cheep good gun

Tactical Ex

Very good questions for your first build (first ever build or first FT scratchbuild?). I built a modified Versa wind with a center section for my first build and it flew a lot faster than I expected, it was almost too much for my first plane. I can say that it is possible to build with a low temp glue/glue gun but it was a huge pain and you have to work really fast (I had to turn the air and fan off to make it work). If you haven't bought a glue gun yet make sure you buy a high temp glue gun and hi temp glue. As far as how hard it is to build its actually rather easy the hardest part is getting the rear wing tips to match when folding the wing over.

Adam, could you provide the name and model # for that glue gun or a link if you get the chance? I ran out of low temp glue for my wife's glue gun so I might as well get a better gun while I'm out buying glue :)

eddyalce

Very good questions for your first build (first ever build or first FT scratchbuild?). I built a modified Versa wind with a center section for my first build and it flew a lot faster than I expected, it was almost too much for my first plane. I can say that it is possible to build with a low temp glue/glue gun but it was a huge pain and you have to work really fast (I had to turn the air and fan off to make it work). If you haven't bought a glue gun yet make sure you buy a high temp glue gun and hi temp glue. As far as how hard it is to build its actually rather easy the hardest part is getting the rear wing tips to match when folding the wing over.

This would be my first ever build kinda of. Most of my planes that I build are PNP from FMS or Parkzone so its not really a build. Well i did build a hobby zone super cub from parts before if that counts....I'm an experienced flyer but not too much of a builder. I have a glue gun but it is one of the Low Temp glue guns. I will go and buy a high temp one though.

My main concern is a scratch build that can fly at high speeds. Right now flying fast is pretty fun for me. Seems like versa wing is the one for speed? I did like the looks of the warbirds a little better though.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
oh gosh im not to sure. here in Canada we have princess auto which is a tool store where i get high temp 10inch glue sticks for around 3 bucks a pack. i just remember looking for a wireless glue gun like bixlers at walmart and seeing some lower end gun with selectable temps (high and low) for under 10 bucks. they dident have a huge selection so it might be the only high temp corded one :) it was red if that helps :p

ok found it!!
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Surebonder-Ultra-Full-Size-Dual-Temperature-Glue-Gun/11740830

Last edited:

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
all the full body designs can go fast depending what you slap in for electronics/prop combo (3d,spit,racer,even dusty!) and if you build with fibertape or "extreme packing tape" you will have a hard time ripping it apart in the air. david did beat josh's versa with the spit in the speed episode!

Last edited:

eddyalce

all the full body designs can go fast depending what you slap in for electronics/prop combo (3d,spit,racer,even dusty!) and if you build with fibertape or "extreme packing tape" you will have a hard time ripping it apart in the air. david did beat josh's versa with the spit in the speed episode!

So it really comes down to The Spit or the Racer for me. I like them both. Which one would you say is better out of the two? The Spit or the Racer?

Tactical Ex

The SpitFire appears to be better suited to counter acting tip-stalling and also looks like an easier build. I have no experience with it though, that is just my observation.

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
you can add one. i don't know how effective it is. you could always just build both!!

rockets4kids

If you've never done a scratch-build before, a speed demon is the *last* thing you want to start with.

That said, somewhere in the flight test archives they have a 100 mph for $100 challenge video. IIRC, that was $100 all-in, including transmitter and all electronics.

Bolvon72

Mentor
Never neglect the Bloody Wonder, it's taken everything I've thrown at it and is always super stable and just cuts through the air. Quick and easy to build as well.

DDSFlyer

I agree, the bloody wonder is a fast bank and yank plane. I put a bigger motor on it and once I replace a sticky servo it is definitely a speed demon with unlimited vertical

Bolvon72

Mentor
I agree, the bloody wonder is a fast bank and yank plane. I put a bigger motor on it and once I replace a sticky servo it is definitely a speed demon with unlimited vertical

I normally run mine with a 1450 kv 370 size motor just for zipping around but have gotten nice speed with at 2200kv. What do you run for speed?

adamd

skunkworx hobbies
Ohhh I always wanted one! How are they?
I completely forgot about the bloody wonder. I have the plans printed and everything but nobody wanted to build one with me. I was hoping for a gnarly combat day

Bolvon72

Mentor
Ohhh I always wanted one! How are they?
I completely forgot about the bloody wonder. I have the plans printed and everything but nobody wanted to build one with me. I was hoping for a gnarly combat day

It is number 2 in my top 5, it tracks like an arrow, you can tone down the throws for very smooth easy flying or run them wide open for really dynamic movement in the air. I've tried so many setups with it and it always flies great.

Suppo 2208/14 for fun all around flying

Suppo 2212/6 for some speed (trying a new stationary camera, it did not work well)

Or add rudders and go crazy

Hard to kill, these are the only two I have built and I have bounced them off the ground more times than I can count.