Help! QC question about the waxy feeling foam?

jim_w

I won a FT Simple stick kit back in October 23. It was raffle at a club funfly in Fort Payne Alabama.

This kit was so hard to free the parts from their sheets, and also to weed all the channels! It was a nightmare! Has there ever been maybe a batch of this foam that was bad?

It also was de-laminating on most all corners.

The kit was still in the shrink wrap from Flite Test, so I'm confident it had not ever got wet or anything.

Is this the norm for all FT kits? (the waxy type white foam ones)

Thanks ,
Jim in Alabama

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Sounds like you got a bad bunch of foam in your kit, although it is usual to have to take a razor blade to free some of the parts. Just for the record, I'm not a huge fan of the white Maker Foam, as it seems to wrinkle more easily than the old brown FT foam. Hopefully your kit is still buildable!

jim_w

Sounds like you got a bad bunch of foam in your kit, although it is usual to have to take a razor blade to free some of the parts. Just for the record, I'm not a huge fan of the white Maker Foam, as it seems to wrinkle more easily than the old brown FT foam. Hopefully your kit is still buildable!
I'm trying to finish it. It's just been very un-enjoyable! I watched the build video and the foam he removed parts from was nothing like what I've been dealing with!! His parts basically fell out of the foam sheet compared to this stuff I have lolol.

I had been considering the Scout XL, but now I'm not willing to take the chance! Oh well.....maybe it's a sign...!!

jim_w

You will want to use a bit of hot glue to stick any de-laminating down.
I understand, but it just hasn't turned out well so far! I've doing that since I started but it is difficult to make it look decent after a glob job.

Speed build kits are supposed to take a lot of the aggravation out of the process. Not this one!