Which model to salvage components of Apprentice S15e

der_smo

Hi,

I learned to fly on my E-Flite Apprentice S15e but have comfortably built and flown some of FliteTests foam board models since, like the FT Edge. I'ld describe myself as an intermediate flyer without too much aspiration of really getting into aerobatics.
My Apprentice became victim to a mid-air crash with an FPV drone. Instead of trying to repair it, I just took out all the electronics, which was unharmed.
Does anyone have a good suggestion of a good model (ARF or kit) where I can put these components to good use again? The Apprentice was powered by 3 13g servos (and one larger one for the rudder/steering wheel), an 3200mAh LiPo and 30A ESC.
I'm worried more sportive models of similar size will be underpowered, and on the other hand the components may be too heavy for FliteTests "Power Pack C"-sized kits.
I'm not really ready to get into sheet-covered balsa yet (like the Mambo from Old School Model Works) though.

Thanks for your suggestions!

alan0043

Hi,

I learned to fly on my E-Flite Apprentice S15e but have comfortably built and flown some of FliteTests foam board models since, like the FT Edge. I'ld describe myself as an intermediate flyer without too much aspiration of really getting into aerobatics.
My Apprentice became victim to a mid-air crash with an FPV drone. Instead of trying to repair it, I just took out all the electronics, which was unharmed.
Does anyone have a good suggestion of a good model (ARF or kit) where I can put these components to good use again? The Apprentice was powered by 3 13g servos (and one larger one for the rudder/steering wheel), an 3200mAh LiPo and 30A ESC.
I'm worried more sportive models of similar size will be underpowered, and on the other hand the components may be too heavy for FliteTests "Power Pack C"-sized kits.
I'm not really ready to get into sheet-covered balsa yet (like the Mambo from Old School Model Works) though.

Hi der smo,

I am surprised no one has answered your question. I am a rookie on rc planes. This is just an idea. How about one of the master series FT planes ?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Hi,

Maybe an upsized version of the FT Racer, say @ 115%

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
not sure what difficult here. you know the wing span and weight of the apprentice (if not you can find out), then go and find an FT plane with roughly the same specs. shouldn't be an issue, if anything you will be overpowered which is better than being under.

good luck,

me :cool:

b-29er

The 840kv motor on the Apprentice should be a very close match to the C pack to be honest. The big difference is it spins a larger, pitchier prop (11x8 vs 10x4.5) slower. You shouldnt have an issue, as most of the C pack aircraft that have similar performance to the apprentice (Explorer, Storch) have the same wingspan, and anything thats like a fighter or a wing is smaller.

Bricks

Master member
The only issue you may have is the AS3X receiver in the Apprentice is nonprogrammable, so if you use that receiver you will have to make absolutely sure you install the receiver and servos so they work exactly like the Apprentice flight controls. You cannot make changes thru the radio as far as throws and reversing servo travel.

der_smo

Hi everyone, thank you for your great suggestions!
I have almost decided to go for the Master Series P-47 - and I'll take care that wiring and servo directions match the Apprentice.
The model has somewhat smaller wingspan (1.2m vs 1.5m) - I hope the somewhat higher weight of the components (compared to power pack C) will not be a big issue.

alan0043

Hi everyone, thank you for your great suggestions!
I have almost decided to go for the Master Series P-47 - and I'll take care that wiring and servo directions match the Apprentice.
The model has somewhat smaller wingspan (1.2m vs 1.5m) - I hope the somewhat higher weight of the components (compared to power pack C) will not be a big issue.

Hi der smo,

Wish you the best on your build. Later it would be nice to see a picture of your finished plane. I understand it is going to take some time to build and finish. Please keep us updated. :cool:

der_smo

Hi everyone,
success! I finished the build last week.
A couple of notes:
- The slightly bigger 13g servos from the Apprentice didn't fit into the wings. I guess it would have been easy to mount them sideways but I took smaller 9g servos instead, which I still had available. Given the Apprentice's rudder servo is too big to fit, I would have been short 1 servo anyway.
- Only the rudder was reversed, so I had to mount the servo sideways. In hindsight, I would have been better of spending $5 on an electronic servo reverser because now the servo arm is not easily accessible from the bottom.
- I initially used the more rigid pushrods from the Apprentice but then replaced them with the thinner ones from the speed build kit, since the routing of in the P-47 requires them to be a bit more flexible.
- I had to drill a few extra holes into the motor mount plate but then the motor fit very nicely, and I got the right CG easily with the original 3200mAh 3S battery.

If flies very nicely, super easy hand launch with auto stabilization enabled and then controllable and agile enough with SAFE turnt off.
At (relatively) higher speed, it started fluttering up and down, I assume I'll have to mechanically reduce the throw for the elevon, the stabilizer seemed to over-correct a bit. As soon as I reduced speed, is was flying nicely again.

The motor and propeller provide a good amount of power, but there is certainly room for a future upgrade.
-> Can I just replace the 3S by a 4S batteries and be done with it, or are there any risks associate with that?

Unfortunately, the first flight found a sudden end after another encounter with an FPV drone. Only the skin of the front section is damaged, I guess I'll have to cut out the damaged part and replace it with a shaped new part of foam board.

Attachments

• C656B58C-4C9D-4F5B-8F9F-FA87A486C16D.JPG
    C656B58C-4C9D-4F5B-8F9F-FA87A486C16D.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0