Who is driving the effort to find a new location for Flite Fest?

Burly

Hi all...

On Nov. 10th I received and e-mail which was enlisting the Flite Test Community to help in finding a new Flite Fest location.
Included was a survey which could be submitted to list possibilities.

How are the survey's going?
I wonder who is the main contact for this initiative?
I think it may be someone at Lauren perhaps?

Over the past few days I've done some legwork and have come up with an interesting location.
I'd like to reach out to the person in charge, and pass along some of the detailed information.

Jim Kirkley

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure they're looking for a new Ohio location.

I think this is with the hopes of expanding to the rest of the country.

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
This is the first time I'm hearing about this. That would be great if they expanded it. Any idea what parts on the country they are considering?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Hrrm. Burly is in Ohio and got the questionnaire. I am in New York and did not. Logic states they may in fact be looking to move FF away from Furey Field. Won't be the first time a business entity took over and made drastic changes in an existing entity that was successful thinking they knew the recipe to make it more profitable over successful and popular.

Wonder if one of the crew could clarify what this is about. (peeks around the corner to see where Stefan is)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I don't have a say in something like that. Its been so long since I got out of my back yard I couldn't begin to suggest some where to do something like that. Hell I cant even get around to find new places to fly one quad let alone space to break records in hehe

Burly

Hi Fred,

No...I'm not suggesting an event in Ohio.
I'm recommending a fall event out in the Las Vegas area in the early October timeframe...preferably over the Columbus Day 3 day weekend.
It's a perfectly flat huge dry lake bed at least 10x larger than Furey Field (probably way more than that).
It's only a thirty to forty minute drive south from the Las Vegas Strip.
On Google Maps, look for the big Eldorado Dry Lake Bed that's south of Boulder City on US 95.

I've already reached out and made contact with the Bolder City Park and Recreation Department who oversees the land and its usage...including RC events.
They've informed me that there have been many events held there in the past...so holding the Flite Fest event there is more than feasible...
This is why I want a direct contact into Flite Test, to pass on the materials and email exchanges I have gathered.

Here's a YouTube video showing you the expansive space...it gets interesting at the 4:00 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkVGruk_A0Q

I think a desert experience with sunny dry days in the mid to low 80's with nights in the low 70's to high 60's would be awesome.
Just think of the desert sky at night...and you won't need to run you generator...

A bit of a Burning Man experience...but with more ideal weather...a Flite Test, Flying Man...LOL...

PS. I think Josh, Alex, and Austin need to buy some plane tickets to go check it out.

Last edited:

Burly

what about down in the texas lousianna florida area?

We need a place that virtually insures 100% good weather.
Warm dry sunny days...and cool sleeping-weather nights...with no generators running...

AND NO RAIN!!!

Early October in Las Vegas:
Daily Hi's...75-90 degrees...
Nightly Low's...60-70 degrees.
October average monthly precipitation...0.25 inches.

In Texas, Louisiana, and Florida you can get 0.25 inches of rain in 5-10 minutes.

.....start watching at the 4:50 minute mark.....

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Just to let everybody know, I was asked too and I'm from Germany, so it's not only about Ohio ;-)

I thought that the Newsletter-Recipients got that message?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
We need a place that virtually insures 100% good weather.
Warm dry sunny days...and cool sleeping-weather nights...with no generators running...

AND NO RAIN!!!

Early October in Las Vegas:
Daily Hi's...75-90 degrees...
Nightly Low's...60-70 degrees.
October average monthly precipitation...0.25 inches.

In Texas, Louisiana, and Florida you can get 0.25 inches of rain in 5-10 minutes.

.....start watching at the 4:50 minute mark.....
yeah about the rain we haven't had rain for like two months down in the florida panhandle and when it did rain it was a mere 10-15 min sprinkle. I'm not saying that you are wrong I am aware that in mid summer to late april it is blue skies then downpours but I am trying to say that there aren't any major rc related flying events down this way :( and my point is that it would be nice if we could get an event that big down this way.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
WI has some nice weather during the summer. Anywhere from 70-85 degrees, usually fair weather, and there's lots of open land that could be used (after talking to the right people.)

Medford Oregon is the least windy city in the lower 48 states. It almost never rains in July or August. Rain is minimal in June and September. Of course it rains constantly the rest of the year.

Kaiser Soze

Somewhere near Oneonta NY would be nice. Sort of an alternative to the Neat Fair. :rolleyes: Usually warm, sometimes wet and windy.........

M2oseMarshall

Have It In Middle Tennessee!!!

I think Middle Tennessee would be great!!! Many of the big businesses are locating here because they can reach 3/4ths of the country within a days drive!!! Just a thought!!!

Florida would be a great place in feb-April! Where I live(Palm Bay fl) is this awesome place called the compound. Mostly flat mowed city owned land and no one around. The city has held the tough mudder events here so I know they are open to events. Close enough proximity to Orlando for anyone flying in too.

http://imgur.com/B7aDEG1

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Florida would be a great place in feb-April! Where I live(Palm Bay fl) is this awesome place called the compound. Mostly flat mowed city owned land and no one around. The city has held the tough mudder events here so I know they are open to events. Close enough proximity to Orlando for anyone flying in too.

http://imgur.com/B7aDEG1

Florida's a great vacation destination. Theme parks, golf, fishing and beaches. Plus Gulf and Atlantic seafood. Add in Flite Test and airplanes and you've really got something. :cool:

I have a feeling that it's summer time though. I think you would want to be in north central Florida in that case, in order to be the most hurricane resistant you could be.