Will flying over water make any difference to range when using 5.8G for video

sumone

Will flying over water make any difference to range when using 5.8G for video
also would it have any impact on range for a 2.4G transmitter.
Thanks.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
@Matthewdupreez - is that an experienced radio propagation engineers response, based on experience, or a guess? (It sounds like a guess given how 5.8GHz and water interact with each other)

Water does interact with 5.8GHz quite strongly and very well could have an effect (and its interaction is going to be different the the ground). A quick bit of googling shows that for point to point links over water has a recommendation of the antenna being at least 12m off the ground to minimize the effect of the water.

The water can reflect the signal and cause multi-path interference (that link above shows some effect), if your using CP antennas, this impact should be reduced as good CP antennas tend to cancel out/reduce multi-path interference.

I am not sure how much of an impact it will create as I have seen people do flights over water a good distance, even at only 10m off the ground.

What type of flying and distances are you worried about @sumone , that might give us some context to better answer your question?

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
@Matthewdupreez - is that an experienced radio propagation engineers response, based on experience, or a guess? (It sounds like a guess given how 5.8GHz and water interact with each other)

Water does interact with 5.8GHz quite strongly and very well could have an effect (and its interaction is going to be different the the ground). A quick bit of googling shows that for point to point links over water has a recommendation of the antenna being at least 12m off the ground to minimize the effect of the water.

The water can reflect the signal and cause multi-path interference (that link above shows some effect), if your using CP antennas, this impact should be reduced as good CP antennas tend to cancel out/reduce multi-path interference.

I am not sure how much of an impact it will create as I have seen people do flights over water a good distance, even at only 10m off the ground.

What type of flying and distances are you worried about @sumone , that might give us some context to better answer your question?
Ooops... I was referring to 2.4....
I saw a couple of YouTube's... On the subject... By quite reputable YouTubers

Piotrsko

Master member
Pretty sure anything on YT is suspect information until verified by reliable print only sources.

Since a reflection and an attenuation create the same results, hard to say what happenes on LOS events without monitoring/sampling the recieved signal. I suspect the 10 ft elevation changes the skip angle to a very shallow one. Good transmit and recieve antenna design and orientation should be adequate.