Will It Fly? RC Plane Design Idea

Zer0

Alternatively... I could just make the airfoil out of balsa wood... muuuuuuuuch easier to sand, what do you guys think?

jamboree1

That is some sort of foamboard you are using isn't it? Foam sands down very fast, or even just use a razor blade to cut your airfoil. Also it isn't necessary to sand down the leading edge of your airfoil with kfm, but it will be less efficient

ghost civic

for the leading edge of some of my wings, I just glue a wooden dowel and then tape over it...that gives a fairly nice rounded edge and also strengthens the wing.

When I don't do that, I don't sand the edge down. I use the xacto knife to cut a bevel edge on both pieces of the foam board...gives the edge a "V" to it. Then just tape over it.

I think cutting the wing from foam board would be easier...even if you have a couple extra steps for the edge as opposed to balsa id think it would still be quicker over all.

I haven't worked with balsa much tho....not sure how strong it would be or how easy it would be to repair compared to foam board.

Zer0

Well, I built the entire thing out of some strange black foamboard... It was the only one I could find... The guys at FliteTest actually recommended in one of their videos not to buy it if you have a choice over black or white foamboard.... But in my case I had no choice at all....

It works, It is just harder to cut and sand down than white foamboard for some reason...

Balsa wood woks almost the same as foamboard, but it snaps and brakes like glass on impact, whereas foamboard just dents or bends.

Balsa makes for some nicer models.... but i don't think it would be wise to use it in a park flyer... I will stick to my strange mutant black foamboard for now.

Zer0

The question is.... what happens if I don't sand it at all? Will performance decrease? (The physics are obvious... But sometimes Aerodynamics don't react as someone would expect at a smaller scale).

ghost civic

a foam board plane can fly with a blunt edge wing. some wings are just a single sheet of foam (so blunt edge)
performance will decrease...however it may not decrease enough to be noticeable....or at least certainly not enough to prevent it from flying.

if it is hard to sand, then maybe adding wood dowels (or anything light and circular) to the leading edge and then wrap tape from the top of the wing, over the dowel and under the bottom. the dowel will make the tape have a curved shape.

I don't notice much of a difference between black/white board (at least not from dollar tree) but the board sold at walmart seems to have thicker paper and maybe even a tad thicker foam. It is certainly harder to cut than the dollar tree stuff.

But hey, tougher foam can also mean it wont flex as much and will hold up better if you crash.

Zer0

Excuse my "noobness" once again for asking.... (well, i guess that is the essence of this forum, learning)

Which would be better? A single vertical stabilizer, or two at the back of the delta?

Is one centered on the tail a better option because it is centered with the propeller as well, where less of the airflow of the propeller is produced?

Will two vertical stabilizers obstruct some of the propellers airflow? or will they guide it?

Thanks for all your feedback so far guys, you're all awesome! ;)

jamboree1

Excuse my "noobness" once again for asking.... (well, i guess that is the essence of this forum, learning)

Which would be better? A single vertical stabilizer, or two at the back of the delta?

I'd put 2 stabilzers on, this will help flight stability to keep a delta from rocking

quorneng

Master member
Zero
As a plane design and builder I would make this comment.
The distance between the elevons and the likely CofG it is short. The plane is thus said to be close coupled. This will mean it is likely to be very 'twitchy' on the elevator control. It will react very quickly to any pitch input (or any external influence for that matter!).
On the other hand the elevons are well inboard compared to the wing span so when acting as ailerons they will have only a modest effect.
This is where things could get tricky. Putting in a substantial 'aileron' input (one up, one down) could result in some 'elevator' effect (for the same degree of deflection down going tend to be more effective) which the plane is likely to be very sensitive to.
In other words you might find it is hard to control and may need some careful tuning to get a reasonable control response.
Of course this is only theory at this stage but the only way to find out for sure is to try it!
Will watch with interest.

Zer0

Thank you quorneng for your comment!

I assume your theory is absolutely right, elevator control will be quite sensible and will require some fine adjustment, preferably in a transmitter capable of setting differential elevons (not sure if that is how they're called, sorry, still a beginner).... (unfortunately I do not have access to one)

Many wide deltas have this problem, I've seen (videos of) B2 bomber models crashing due to this exact effect.

Is that power pack offer still up? Ok, just kidding.... But unfortunately my project has hit a wall... the brushed motor I wanted to use is... well... no use at all, it is way too slow.

I have no idea how much thrust a brushless motor is capable of outputting, i have never actually seen or felt one working...

The entire thing (finished) weights exactly 330 grams with battery and electronics inside (and the giant brushed motor).

Zer0

Here is the pic for the (kinda) finished plane structure

IMG_5691.JPG

Managed to 3D print a plastic prop mount... The picture doesn't show it, but it is actually 4 pieces total that go together like a puzzle to provide enough strength.

IMG_5693 (Medium).JPG