Willy Nillies Hummer 250 Balsa Build Along

chris398mx

Master member
Problem..... the left aileron servo is making noise and not centering like it should. I checked all the servos on the bench with a servo tester before I stuck them in the plane to avoid a problem like this. How do go about removing said servo without destroying the wing in the process? @rockyboy @Turbojoe @Willy Nillies or anyone else with good ideas. Thanks

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'd recommend getting the covering iron back out and going over of the ribs and spar directly around the servo to make sure it's stuck down really well. Then slice out the section of covering with a razor to get to the servo.

Unfortunately I think you'll need to go in through the checkboard side, and it'll be really difficult to get the pattern to line back up on the patch. One idea to deal with that is to make it a feature, not a bug - add a black pinstripe around the edges of the patch and let the pattern be off - maybe way off, like at 45 degree angle even :D

Turbojoe

Elite member
Your situation is why I hate "permanent" servo installations. With my luck somewhere down the line I'll have a servo fail and I'll have to cut up the covering for access. When I build the second Eaglet kit it'll have removable aileron servo plates. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Joe

chris398mx

Master member
Your situation is why I hate "permanent" servo installations. With my luck somewhere down the line I'll have a servo fail and I'll have to cut up the covering for access. When I build the second Eaglet kit it'll have removable aileron servo plates. Just a pet peeve of mine.

Joe
When you do, please document it well as I am interested on doing the same on the next Willy's kit.

Turbojoe

Elite member
When you do, please document it well as I am interested on doing the same on the next Willy's kit.

I've done it as a matter of course on so many builds. I'll have to dig through pictures to see if I actually did any documentation. Likely not. Just Google aileron servo install and I'm sure you'll find hundreds of posts and pictures on the subject.

I don't mean to discredit the Willy Nillies design in any way. This type of servo install is quite common in many, many small weight saving designs. I just accept the extra weight penalty of making the servos accessible. Again, it's nothing more than a personal preference.

Joe

chris398mx

Master member
I've done it as a matter of course on so many builds. I'll have to dig through pictures to see if I actually did any documentation. Likely not. Just Google aileron servo install and I'm sure you'll find hundreds of posts and pictures on the subject.

I don't mean to discredit the Willy Nillies design in any way. This type of servo install is quite common in many, many small weight saving designs. I just accept the extra weight penalty of making the servos accessible. Again, it's nothing more than a personal preference.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I will check it out.

chris398mx

Master member
So I wanted to use my 3S 850mah battery in my hummer, but it wouldn't fit so I 3d printed a battery hatch/canopy to cover the battery.

IMG_5746.JPG

IMG_5745.JPG

chris398mx

Master member
Great Job Chris! Check your email for your completion reward! 😁

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
Thanks Doug and Becky!!! You guys Rock. Now i just need to figure out what I want to order.
Any recommendations on what motor / battery combo would give me some more speed than the 1806 2280KV motor on 3S is giving me now?
Thanks for the coupon code. It will go to good use.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Hi Chris,

More speed than you have now? ! The best way to get more speed is to clip 1 bay off each wing. That will be your biggest bang for no buck. Also, what size prop are you using? 3s with 1806, 5x5 prop with clipped wing will get you close to GLH speed.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

chris398mx

Master member
Love the hatch! That's a whole lot of electons to carry around - should be plenty for a victory lap or two, so you get to land last at the races! :D
Yes, a little big, but that is the smallest 3S battery I have. Still only comes in at 255 grams and probably will have 10-12 minute flight times.

IMG_5752.jpg

chris398mx

Master member
Hi Chris,

More speed than you have now? ! The best way to get more speed is to clip 1 bay off each wing. That will be your biggest bang for no buck. Also, what size prop are you using? 3s with 1806, 5x5 prop with clipped wing will get you close to GLH speed.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

I am using a 5x3. Thanks for the Tips. What is your slowest flying floaty plane? Cub? I would like to get one that cruises nice and slow. It seams like I have to keep my speed up to prevent stalls in the turns. I didn't build the hummer with a rudder. Thanks again, your planes are awesome.

Last edited: