Willy Nillies J3 Cub Balsa Build Along

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Part 8 is now uploaded, and I think I made a bit of a mistake towards the end with the trim. I didn't measure the window templates to make sure the trim stayed below the window and now that I stand back and look at it I think the white trim is a bit too high and will be overlapped by the window... :( Oh well, it'll be fairly easy to fix next time I sit down to work.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Part 9, fixing the fuselage sunburst (?) so there is room for the windows. I also started up on the elevators finally. Note that the rudder needs to have a notch cut in it for the wire which connects the elevator halves together. Although my covering is rushed and not quite as accurate to the original as I'd like, I'm still happy with the results so far! My next time in the shop should see the elevators getting installed, the sunburst on the horizontal surfaces, and then on to the wing! Even though this is the color scheme from Hazel Sig's clipped wing Cub I'm sticking with the full wing on this build. "Creative license." :)

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Video to come later today, but for now the fuselage covering is. I still need to finish the pushrods, paint & install the dummy engine, and a few other details. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. Working on a smaller model like this (compared to what I've been building) has been a bit of a re-learning, but still very enjoyable! :)

thumbnail_IMG_1758.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I am glad you are making the effort to make the videos for us. I already learned a lot on how to do covering. You even answered a few questions without me having to ask.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
That's my favorite way to answer questions! :) One big covering tip that I really need to do more often is to leave bigger edges around the piece being covered. It all gets trimmed off eventually, but it helps you avoid not having enough material to get all the way past the edge. I gotta keep telling myself it's not waste!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
If I can manage to get a kit package sorted out with everything I will be going thru the same thing. for now I am watching all you guys doing the kits to learn as much as I can.

Im scared to try n log onto the website for fear of breaking it again hehe.

Willy Nillies

Elite member
Video to come later today, but for now the fuselage covering is. I still need to finish the pushrods, paint & install the dummy engine, and a few other details. I'm pretty happy with how it's turning out. Working on a smaller model like this (compared to what I've been building) has been a bit of a re-learning, but still very enjoyable! :)

View attachment 151493

Looks Great! What motor are you going to use?

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Part 11 is uploaded. The main covering on the wing is done, and it just needs trim and ailerons! :) I'm using a 5 channel mini FrSky receiver, so no "Y" harness is needed once I get that far. For those playing along at home, if you order a kit like this the manufacturer says to order one set of covering for the fuselage and one for the wing. In my case, the wing will use up almost the entire sheet ordered for it, which includes a fair amount of scrap so I had extra material to hold on to while doing the actual covering. The fuselage covering I had plenty of, with extra to spare. That's with making no major mistakes, so YMMV.