• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Wind your own Carbon tube spars

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I ALWAYS wish I had and extra $1200 laying around.
Well, yeah, but in this case it would have a definite purpose...

It would probably end up gathering dust next to the vinyl cutter and knife sharpening system I thought would make good side moneymakers...

tramsgar

Know a guy who worked making tubes like that on an industrial scale. All the safety precautions and protective gear they used - still was a big health hazard...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If I had $1200 laying around it would only be because I could not decide which of 12 different items I wanted worse. :p

Thurmond

I didn't see anywhere on his kickstarter that compared the strength of the commercial tubes and the ones the x-winder makes. Sure it's a fraction of the cost, but what is the performance difference?

chaydock

That's a neat concept. I love CF, but don't use it enough to warrant dropping $1.3k on a winder. I'm curious though how they get it off the winding tube. Too bad they don't show a start to finish of how it's used.

earthsciteach

I wonder how woven fiberglass cloth wrapped around a tube with epoxy resin would compare in performance to cf on the scale of RC aircraft.