Carbon Fiber Tubing

jte445

I am posting here in an effort to gauge interest. I've got about ten lengths of carbon fiber tubing, each about 7 to 9 feet long, with an outer diameter of 1.5 to 3 inches. I am thinking about selling the stuff. I figured they could be used as wing spars or fuselages for larger builds. These tubes are unidirectional roll wrapped carbon fiber tubes. They have a very high bending stiffness and hoop strength relative to their weight. They also taper from one end to the other. A tube of this length/size would usually retail for a couple hundred dollars, but I would consider selling them for about $50 plus shipping if people are interested (I got a load of them for free). I can post details and pictures if anyone is interested.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Rolled tapered tubes from 1.5-3" taper x 7'-9' long?!? Impressive.

I'm far more curious than anything else! Any pictures of these beasts?

Any plans how you'll ship it?

jte445

The shorter ones start around 1.75 inches and taper to about 1 inch. The longer ones start around 3 inches and taper to 1.5 inches. They used to be racing oars, I got them from a rowing club that was getting rid of them. Blade designs have changed, and now they're outdated. I took the ones with good shafts and chopped the blades/handles. I figured I'd ship them the same way that they ship new oars. They've got these long triangular cardboard boxes. I'll probably post pictures sometime in the next few days.