Would you put this LiPo near your face?

joshuabardwell

Mentor
I accidentally left a 2S 1000 mAh LiPo plugged into my goggles overnight. When I found it, it measured about 3.2 volts, total. Carefully monitoring its temperature, I used NiMh charging mode to bring it up to 6.0 volts, then switched to LiPo mode and charged it at 0.1 amps. Its temperature didn't rise at all, so I upped it to 1.0 amps (1C). Its temperature at the end of charging was 21°C with 19°C ambient. I then discharged it at 1.0 amps to its storage charge, still monitoring temperature. Its temperature didn't go above 21°C.

I wear this battery in the head band of my goggles, so the effect of a LiPo fire would be serious. On the other hand, I hate to throw out a battery if it's essentially fine. The battery is rated for 20C, but since I'm only pulling less than 500 mA, my feeling is that an increase in internal resistance may not have much practical effect. And it seems like if the battery was going to have a problem, it would have shown up during the 1C charge and discharge. But then again... LiPo fire in my face.

So what do you think?

PeterGregory

CrossThread Industries
Nobody "out here" would tell you to put it near your head.
Sometimes you just have to eat a mistake like this.
You could possibly use it in a foamie.

I'd be VERY leery of any battery that has had a mishap like this - even to the point of not allowing it in the house.
Even if it doesn't cause a fire other than itself, the discharge ruins everything in the room.

I just watched a video of a gent who made a special metal case to hold his LIPOs with a short discharge pipe to the outside of his house (from what looked like an above-ground bedroom converted to workshop.)
The reason he wen thru all this trouble was that he set his van on fire charging a gooched battery.
Be done with them and have peace of mind.

Here's the LIPO bunker vid, the build starts way into the vid at about 7:45, and there is a second vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ki_1jfe7vS4

My 2c.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Probably better to use a LiFe if you are going to wear it. Assuming it's slightly lower voltages work for the what you need to power. 6.6v for a 2s or 9.9v for a 3s. Much safer. You don't have to worry about discharging them to storage voltage. They retain their charge for a long time and they don't decompose spectacularly when they go wrong. This 2s one for less than $5 might be good.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=20646.