X-15 Rocket Plane!

Zephyr1

Elite member
I decided to start work on this after watching Real Engineering's excellent video on the X-15, I highly recommend it.

X-15 PIC.jpg

Wingspan: 20"
Battery: 1500mAh 6S
Motor: FT 2207 1750KV
Prop: 3.75"
Rocket: Estes D Motor

This project is a 1/12th scale X-15 without the bottom rudder. I did end up building the bottom rudder but did not attach it for this version. For V2 I hope to have a micro servo that can detach it. I have posted a flight video. It's not great but it does prove that it both flies and that the rocket firing system works.

I will be building a larger version for E rockets and a 4" BDF

Flight video:
Real Engineering's Documentary:

Amazing!!
Brave choice.
Really sweet build.
You're insane. :LOL:

Every time I see something like this or the X-3 or others I think that would be the most amazing plane to model but it would need tremendous speed in the air to fly well. I forgot about prop hanging. You've got that plane at a crawl! Love it.

L Edge

Master member
1) How did you ignite the rocket?
2) Have any pics of setup of prop-Rocket?
3) What was the weight of X-15?

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
Amazing!!
Brave choice.
Really sweet build.
You're insane. :LOL:

Every time I see something like this or the X-3 or others I think that would be the most amazing plane to model but it would need tremendous speed in the air to fly well. I forgot about prop hanging. You've got that plane at a crawl! Love it.

Nope. My fav is the Flying Pancake. Looks weird, but allegedly flew awesome! I still to this day don't know why we didn't mass produce it & put on the front as an interceptor.

(y)

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
"BuT iT's My FiRsT aMeNdMenT rIgHt To FrEe SpEeCh!!!11"
LOL........Everyone misinterprets "Freedom of Speech" as outlined by the Constitution. All freedom of speech does is allows you to speak out against the govt without fear of jail or death.
THAT'S ALL......Nothing else.
"VonHelton is a filthy evil pagan" is NOT free speech. (Unless I run for office again).
It's either slander, libel or defamation.

(y)