X525 Custom

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Greetings and salutations good people of the internet! I am the Dumpster Jedi... self-proclaimed artist, philo-sophisor, engineer, cynic, member of the general public, friend to children and small animals, regular tax-paying ninja and all-around state-of-the-badass-art super-cool guy.

Yes, nine hyphens. :cool:

Anyhoo, I have sauntered into your little corner of the webbernets tonight to introduce myself, and being a new pilot and fan of Flite Test, I figured this would be the ideal place to show off my quad and discuss my build process and what I've learned along the way. I recommend grabbing a tasty beverage at this point, as I am liable to ramble on for a while.

After becoming infatuated with multicopters and all things RC over the past year I finally bit the bullet and after quite a bit of research, I dove in head first.

Two weeks ago:
1558470_10201518732106236_1488342992_n.jpg

The Goods:

X525 Frame
4x Aluminum Motor Mounts
4x Multistar 935kv motors
4x 20A Afro ESCs
KK 2.1 Flight Contoller w/ LED
XT60 -> 6x 3.5mm Battery Harness
5x 10cm Male-to-Male Servo Leads
1m Green LED strip
3s Balance plug -> 4x JST

Flight Gear:
Turnigy 6XS 2.4 Ghz Tx w/ XR7000s Rx
2x 3000mah 3s Zippy Flightmax

For my first build, it went quite well. Everything worked as it should, and aside from some instability due to tuning issues (PI gains set way too low), it flew decently.

1555574_10201519805773077_1607803547_n.jpg

It also crashed quite well, me being a new pilot and all.

The first casualty was a broken landing skid plate, no big deal. Next was a motor mount, bending the two fore booms in the process. Two more landing skids broke on that crash as well. I bolted the motor mount down through one of the holes, bent it back into shape best I could, patched the landing gear (zip ties are your friend), and finally managed to get it stuck in the top of a very tall tree.

I got it down with a bit of thrashing about with the throttle and aileron/elevator, ripping my admittedly shoddy LED wiring loose and breaking four props in the process.

It was at this point I officially declared my backyard aeronautics program grounded. I collected my observations about the weaknesses in my prototype design, and set about developing solutions. My observations on this hardware configuration are as thus:

1. The X525 is too large for my liking given my level of experience. The actual motor-to-motor distance on this frame is 600mm, and with 10x4.5 props, it is quite the lumbering beast.

2. The folding capability of this frame negatively affects how stiff the center assembly is and how well the booms stay in position. Constant adjustment is required to maintain alignment, no matter how tight the bolts are.

3. The fiberglass motor mounts included with the X525 have a fundamental design flaw in that the tip of each protrudes just beyond the end of the landing gear, and contacting the ground at even a slight deviation to the horizontal places these directly in harm's way. Leverage, man.

4. While the sprung landing gear is a neat concept, in practice it doesn't hold up terribly well, and with weight not being a concern at this point, the job can be done with less hardware.

5. With the LEDs mounted to the sides of the fore booms, they are not visible enough from below to effectively assist orientation. The do look damn cool, though.

So I set about implementing changes to the frame that will address these concerns. First, I removed 5cm from the end of each boom (doing away with the bent portions) and re-drilled the holes to mount them to the frame plates. I ordered the aluminum motor mounts from eBay and they are a perfect fit and lack the protrusion that so doomed their predecessors while being intrinsically stronger at the same relative mass. I rotated the top plate 90 degrees to offset the curved slots, effectively locking the booms in place. I repurposed parts from the landing gear to raise the secondary upper plate, offering a bit of protection to the FC board. LEDs have now been mounted to the bottom of the fore booms, where they should be able to better serve their purpose.

The end result, this being the fifth overall rebuild:
IMG_0468.JPG

The quad now measures 500mm motor-to-motor, and with the plate rotation, the frame is very stiff with no play in the boom joints at all. Overall, I am very satisfied with the modifications I have made. Unfortunately, in my eagerness to perform a test flight, I neglected to tighten my prop nuts adequately, and lost one. It flew beautifully for a moment, but I will have to wait until tomorrow to procure a suitable replacement and fully test the aircraft.

I hope you enjoyed my process, and perhaps what I've learned here can be of use to other aspiring pilots. I look forward to discussing my build, so please offer advice and comments at will.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
5th rebuild....I am on my 8th of the AnyCopter and for many similar reasons. Welcome to the Flite Test forum. Methinks you will fit in well here.

If the leverage on your motor mounts is too much, smaller, lighter, faster spinning motors with smaller rotors takes some of the heat off the mounts during 'high speed landings'. For a first copter learning how to fly, I recommend 1200 to 1450 kv motors that weigh 40grams or less spinning 8045 rotors assuming the all up weight including battery is < 1kg. I found it cheaper in the long run to start light and fast and then move up to larger motors and props to increase payload.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
You're right CR. Even though three DT750s with 1147 props on my tricopter will lift surprisingly heavy loads, they are a bear to get the vibrations out and carry quite a bit of momentum into the ground during a crash.

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I have to agree, one thing I discovered is that smaller/lighter is better for a beginner. Luckily, my current configuration seems to have found me a comfortable medium. The motors are 2213's and 22 grams, if I remember correctly.

Shortening the booms and scaling the landing gear down to a single plate per seems to have paid off, as I'm happy to say it flies much better than before. Much more responsive, and way more stable. I still need to tune some of the jitters out of it, but the settings seem to be very close as they are. Still carries a bit of momentum, Cumulative weight of all components was 1.3kg before my modifications, so it's still just over a kg by my best reckoning. Nonetheless, as it flies now I think I'm content with it as a learning platform.

Earlier I had to come inside because I ran both of my packs down, not because I broke something, which is a nice feeling!

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Found one of my old phones and managed to rig up a makeshift mount to shoot video. Shot is off-center with the way it's mounted, but it's still cool to get video from my quad.

It's pretty windy today, but even with it gusting the quad handles quite well.

Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Well done. Getting a copter into the air is no mean feat.

Love the music! I think we are gonna enjoy your future videos.

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Thanks, I've never really done much non-sim flying or videography. I'm having fun with it.

Having fun with low-quality equipment and Youtube's filters, I included in the description that this vid was shot with a "depression-era potato"

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
You need to try to rotate the potato to the horizontal for better video orientation... ;)

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
You need to try to rotate the potato to the horizontal for better video orientation... ;)

LOL, yeah this was one of the only shots I did like that, mainly trying to cobble together a workable mount out of zip ties and a spare battery strap. Even worse, the orientation was locked so I had to rotate the video in post due to it being sideways. Current mounting is landscape and only slightly off-center. Gonna try and get a flight when I get home from work if I can beat the sun.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Off center isn't as bad as vertical, as I'm sure you've seen. Just say "No!" to old Mila Kunis!

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Getting more confident, it's a very short clip, but a record altitude for me.
(For some reason I can't get youtube to drop the original audio, so mind the volume!)

earthsciteach

You are doing just fine! Now take my advice. Put that thing on a leash. These multi's tend to wander off. They have minds like Huskies (the dog, not the plane built like a Cub).

Belated welcome to the forum!

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Went home for a flight, er, lunch. This clip is the mid-point of the session, nothing we haven't seen before (yes the swingset is still in a pile), but I'm feeling more confident- moving around more, going farther away and working on pointing the quad some other direction than straight ahead relative to me. I also noticed my battery goes down noticeably faster as I expand my comfort zone and push the motors more.

Dumpster Jedi

The One Who Speaks
Update time! Made a little modification to the power distribution system: a master arming switch. Though the KK2.1 has the arm/safe function, I'm still paranoid about accidentally bumping the radio and arming the quad unintentionally. It's an idea I've been tossing around for awhile and today I got around to trying it out.

I used a standard two-way toggle switch I got from an auto parts store and some crimp-on ring terminals (though I wound up soldering them on in the end) the appropriate size for the screw-on terminals on the switch. Locktite and heatshrink were applied after the photos below were taken. I chose the location for mounting the switch based on ease of installation (didn't want to rebuild the whole thing) and to have it function as I intended. I'll add that the voltage display and LED lighting is run from the balance plug, remaining lit without anything else needing power.

Off:
off.jpg

On:
on.jpg

It is mounted in such a way that makes it much easier to turn off than on, meaning an accidental flip always renders the quad safe. Zip ties were used to secure it for lack of better installation options on the assembled frame. It is very solid and there is no "play" in any direction when force is applied to the toggle.

All in all, a functional mod that allows me to cut the power to the quad with the flip of a switch instead of having to fiddle with the battery connector.