XSR-M wiring to vortex 150

globularions

I'm looking for a howto that specifically talks about wiring the FrSky XSR-M with the Vortex 150. I've found numerous videos on using other FrSky products but can't seem to find any that talk about the XSR-M + vortex 150 wiring.

The cabling that came with the XSR-M seems to suggest I need to do some soldering but I'm new to quads/TX/RX and not sure about which wires go where. I know the XSR-M has a power, ground, SBUS and smart port but how does that connect with the provided cables in the XSR-M package?

I'm at a loss with googling anything that shows a howto with the XSR-M vs the other XSR* products.

Thanks

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
In Tj's video at 2:09 you see he has replaced a cable for Taranis receivers. The 5 volt wire (red) is the rear most pin the ground is the center pin and the sbus pin is the remaining pin. Match those to the proper place on your receiver. If you have to don't be afraid to cut cables in half and solder matching ends for your needs together. As long as 5v matches ground matches and signal matches there is no problem doing this.

If your confident in your soldering skills you can follow the steps here and wire direct to the flight controller. PAY ATTENTION specifically to the parts where the pads are soldered to supply proper voltages. More then likely they have already been done so make sure they are the proper ones for the XSR-M

http://raceflightinfo.com/2017/08/04/frsky-xsr-m-to-revolt-v2-setup/

globularions

That is an excellent video. But 2 of the 3 cables that come with the xsrm don’t actually fit it except for the one with 4 wires- volts ground sbus and smart port according to the paper that came with it. If I should use the other packaged cables by cutting and soldering them to the one cable that does fit for the xsrm then what do I do with the smart port (assuming I at least use the sbus ).

https://img.banggood.com/file/products/20170505040834XSR-E Manual.pdf 7324B3B1-7283-4280-9FE2-68691E87D533.jpeg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Seems you did not read my entire post..... There is a link to the flight controller used in the Vortex and specific instructions AND wiring diagrams how to solder directly to the flight controller mate. Between the video and the other link you are pretty much covered on every method to connect that specific receiver.

globularions

telemetry wire -> RX3 -> GPS RX??

Sorry the 2nd link wasn't clear to me because it has me (in my scenario) soldering to something I don't seem to have or can't find. the PCB on the v150 doesn't say RX3 anywhere (as mentioned in the 2nd link) so I don't know what I need to solder the remaining telemetry wire to. I suppose that is my question but this is my first quad so everything is alphabet soup to me still.

I got it that for the XSR-M there is a 5v gnd and sbus (labeled IN on the v150 PCB) and the packaged cables swap to the correct 3v or 5v depending on your receiver but then I have this 4th wire for telemetry that I don't know what to do with.

v150_frsky_csrm.jpg

This link below mentioned something about soldering to the GPS RX but I don't know if that's what I want

https://vdr.one/immersionrc-vortex-150-mini-review-spektrum-setup-guide/

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok see the two red pictures in your last post...

The small one on the bottom right shows S port next to RX 3. That is the underside of the right part of the full size picture above it.
So on the right hand side there from top to bottom the very top port is for the telemetry. The very bottom is ground the next one up is VCC or 5v positive (which is where the jumper on the under side comes in to play) Then the next highest one is the sbus.

Once those connections are made and the proper jumpers are soldered all you need to do is eable Taranis telemetry on RX 3 according to the instructions. You will have to unscrew the flight controller to check the jumpers underneath that set the power levels.

XSRM.png

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is why I don't buy proprietary gear. You cant find any simple information about it. At this point I think you need to go over to RC groups and hope someone over there is nice enough to help or directly contact Immersion and hope they are nice enough to help you out. I have exhausted all my attempts to find decent information on this. Sorry I was of no aide to you mate.

globularions

thanks for the help. I learned stuff still ; )

I did find this page (https://vdr.one/immersionrc-vortex-150-mini-review-spektrum-setup-guide/) about the vortex 150 setup but using a Spektrum RX.

They are saying something like the telemetry goes to the GPS RX pin, which sounds odd. but it seems you can program it via betaflight to change what that pin is for, if I understand what they are saying correctly- but I'm not completely sure if I am reading that correctly.

from the page:
HW Cabling
Telemetry pin connected to GPS connector RX pin on PDB

Don't know if my assumption is correct but if it hopefully this helps someone else out