XT60 Questions

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
OK i just went to the local hobby shop and purchased 2 pairs of XT60 connectors, there were also packages of just female connectors.

My question is which side do you guys put on the battery? From what i saw at the hobby store i would think male on the ESC and female on the battery? But the batteries i have purchased came with male JST connectors, i am replacing the JSTs with the more robust XT60 connector.

Like i said thought there were more female than males at the store, is it not always like that, so i am not sure which one to put where. Which one is more readily available, male or female. I figure the one that is easier to get as a homogeneous package should be the type to put on the batteries.

Last edited:

ScottyWarpNine

Mostly Harmless
You are correct, male on the ESC, female on the battery.

You do not use male XT60 connectors on batteries because there is no wall separating the two pins. That could easily be shorted if something metal like a zipper pull or a paperclip were to accidentally be inserted into the connector. The female connectors have the pins separated by a wall, and the pins are somewhat inset into the connector so that it cannot be shorted out by placing it flush against a flat piece of metal. Sorry for the long explanation for such a simple concept.

Male=ESC Female=Battery

Last edited:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
My understanding is that female is always on the battery as a safety consideration so that if you inadvertently let the connector touch a conductor, you won't short the battery.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
View pic the top one female connector goes on the battery and the bottom male goes on the esc. Allso remember that the squared off side of the connector is positive (red) and the rounded off side of the connector is negative (black). If you did not know
XT60-1.jpg

I corrected it;)

Last edited:

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
Oop wait sorry i had it backward lol sorry dident check my pic i posted

Last edited:

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
You are correct, male on the ESC, female on the battery.

You do not use male XT60 connectors on batteries because there is no wall separating the two pins. That could easily be shorted if something metal like a zipper pull or a paperclip were to accidentally be inserted into the connector. The female connectors have the pins separated by a wall, and the pins are somewhat inset into the connector so that it cannot be shorted out by placing it flush against a flat piece of metal. Sorry for the long explanation for such a simple concept.

Male=ESC Female=Battery

that is what I was thinking but not 100% sure and I wanted to check with you guys before I caught something on fire.

TexasTeacher

Ready to Crash
View pic the top one female connector goes on the battery and the bottom male goes on the esc. Allso remember that the squared off side of the connector is positive (red) and the rounded off side of the connector is negative (black). If you did not know
View attachment 42744

I corrected it;)

So square = red, rounded = black

You guys are the best

Burnt fingers here I come