ZOHD KOPILOT Flyaway

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Doing some reading on the ZOHD and it seems the return to home has limited altitude which does not work well for many if trees and such are in the area.
yes that is my complaint..... and why I have been recommending the sparrow for a plug and play FC with RTH , I posted a link above, its a clone of the zohd but flies at 300ft and has more features

tglenn

Last week i installed the ZOHD KOPILOT in my ranger 1600 .
I'm not very familiar with flight controllers and my main reason for getting one was so i can fly fpv and if i should lose signal it should RTL.
this feature worked great when testing it out last week and the auto launch feature was super cool.

Today i took it out to a new location for an fpv flight (Big dry mudflats in front of me and tall grass over 1.5 meters tall and thick bush land behind me with houses behind that).

I switched to manual mode and launched but when i tested RTL the motor died and was not being able to get the motor to re-arm i tried switching through to different flight modes so had to glide it back down.
This happend on the first 2 launches.
This should have been enough for me to realize something is not right and mabey pull the pin go home and investigate.
But i was so keen to have a fly i plugged the battery back in waited for it to re-arm and went for round 3.
BIG MISTAKE!!
This time when testing RTL the motor didn't disarm but throttled up and i could tell from my fpv feed it wasn't heading back.
I ripped off my googles and desperately tried to find it in the sky.
I could faintley hear it flying away but had no visual and could tell it was a long way away.
Then it went silent ( Either too far away or the motor dis-armed )
I walked for about an hour and a half with my googles with me in the hope i might pick up a video signal and my radio constantly tellling me rssi low,/critical telemetry lost, telemetry found .
I felt sick in the guts as I'm sure the bushland is riddled with snakes and with the tall grass it could be anywhere (Tree, Burried in the tall grass in someones yard or roof) and just as i was about to call it quits and head back i found it.
As luck would have it it landed in the shorter grass (Long way from RTL) in front of the heavy scub and trees
So very lucky.
The warnings were there and i was silly enough to ignore them. ( I've learned my lesson).

So now to my question .
Any idea what might have happened ?
I'm thinking when i hit RTL the ESC's BEC might be having trouble providing enough power for the 4 servos ,receiver and the flight controller .
maybe it's shutting down the ESC temp. and then trying to reboot the flight controller.
Not sure.
it sounds to me like the first two times you had no GPS lock?

quique

Hi everyone, I have three Kopilot and I can't solve a problem that drives me crazy with wings, nor is it that they are helping me a lot from the ZOHD support.
I wanted to ask you if you have had a problem with jumps as rebounds only in RTH,
In stabilized mode they fly perfect, but both when taking off with the assisted RTH mode and already in the air when I put RTH it begins to make small uncontrolled jumps trying to make the circle but if I do not change to stabilized mode it will crash.
the problem is only in RTH, I have the minimum gain potentiometer almost to the point of reversing the turn and I cannot correct it, I have done countless tests, different motors, esc, kopilot flight controller, digital analog servos ... I have put hinges on the wings giving more precision to the movements, I have even moved the manufacturer's GC in case there was a possibility of solving it and nothing, I can't think of what else to do.

thanks greetings

quique

Olvidé comentar que entre tantas pruebas también hizo un flyaway,
Comprobado, bloqueo gps, despegue asistido, lanzado a mano, subir para coger 70m, girar dando pequeños saltos que comento atrás, cambio a estabilizado recupero posición más cercana pongo RTH acelera aquí pierdo el control intento cambiar a estabilizado, no vamos a cambiar nada en línea recta choques muy acelerados contra algunos árboles.
Cara tonta sin saber lo que ha pasado.
Después de eso he hecho una veintena de vuelos más sin este problema, pero si el pobre desempeño del RTH con los saltos no traza el vuelo en círculos limpiamente,
dos cosas, tengo que decir, que en estabilizado está perfecto y que son alas muy rápidas, no sé si esto no es compatible con este controlador

Hondo76251

Legendary member
That does sound odd. Im wondering if im missing something in translation. What exaclty do you mean by "jumps" when going to RTH mode?

quique

OK gracias por responder
Voy a intentar subir un video, es como un rebote constante del elevon arriba abajo, arriba abajo,
En el despegue asistido RTH va bien ascendiendo y cuando comienza el círculo hace lo que yo digo, solo se elevon, arriba abajo, arriba abajo, hasta el punto de empezar a caer y perder el círculo, cambio a estabilizado y ahí No hay problema, pero si vuelvo a poner RTH, lo vuelve a hacer.
He intentado aumentar reduciendo la ganancia al mínimo, adjunto una foto, logro reducir el rebote pero no eliminarlo, no hace la secuencia RTH correctamente y es peligroso.
Gracias

Attachments

• IMG_20200906_140957.jpg
    IMG_20200906_140957.jpg
    853.4 KB · Views: 0

quique

[QUOTE = "Flite Risk, publicación: 598638, miembro: 33174"] Intente agregar un pequeño condensador en su equipo. [/ QUOTE]
Ya lo tenía cuando pasó, 3300uf 16v

quique

[QUOTE = "Hondo76251, publicación: 598621, miembro: 43062"] Ya veo. Es extraño que funcione en modo estabilizado pero no RTH. ¿Dónde está montado el gps? [/ QUOTE]

en este ala está en el ala derecha, creo que bastante separada de todo, ¿quizás cerca del servo?
pero en otra ala lo tengo mas adelante y pasa lo mismo

Attachments

• GPS ala .jpg
    GPS ala .jpg
    669 KB · Views: 0
  • GPS ala v2.jpg
    GPS ala v2.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0

quique

esta es una vela diferente con el gps en otra posición, con el mismo problema

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_181924v2.jpg
    IMG_20200909_181924v2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I dont know if it matters what direction the GPS is facing, but on all of mine i set the GPS set so that the plug points in the direction of flight:

I also have it so that the GPS is in the centerline of the plane, just behind the CoG.

Not sure if changing that will help but it might be worth a shot. I suspect something is up with the GPS because it works in stabilize but not RTH on both of your wings.

quique

OK gracias,
Lo intentaré en un momento, por cierto pondré la cámara en el ala por si se repite el efecto de los saltos, para verlo desde arriba

quique

Hello, after the test, I must say that it has improved, the takeoff and entry into the RTH circle has been done correctly and after about three minutes of constant circle to test the repeated error sequence that I comment on the jumps see video, 43sg.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U5__zJ9GcuMVPhX1xju-qwv6wXVqkCQ_/view?usp=sharing

I must say that I can not find an explanation for the change in GPS position, these gps do not have a compass like those of the usual drones, then the position should not influence, but I recognize that it has been corrected.
On the other hand, ZOHD does not indicate anything about it anywhere, nor does Beitian.

see photos kopilot gps, three gps have the same position of the antenna with respect to the connector, but a fourth has it the other way around,

However, what has been said is incredible,

thank you Hondo76251

Attachments

• IMG_20200909_232958_HHT.jpg
    IMG_20200909_232958_HHT.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20200909_181924.jpg
    IMG_20200909_181924.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • gps changed position tests.jpg
    gps changed position tests.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
Hello, after the test, I must say that it has improved, the takeoff and entry into the RTH circle has been done correctly and after about three minutes of constant circle to test the repeated error sequence that I comment on the jumps see video, 43sg.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1U5__zJ9GcuMVPhX1xju-qwv6wXVqkCQ_/view?usp=sharing

I must say that I can not find an explanation for the change in GPS position, these gps do not have a compass like those of the usual drones, then the position should not influence, but I recognize that it has been corrected.
On the other hand, ZOHD does not indicate anything about it anywhere, nor does Beitian.

see photos kopilot gps, three gps have the same position of the antenna with respect to the connector, but a fourth has it the other way around,

However, what has been said is incredible,

thank you Hondo76251
In the last video you posted I see the oscilations (bucking/bouncing up and down) I had that symptom with my first zohd setup.....using the control board had too much gain input to the zohd, I detuned the "elevator control" using the zohd control board and it improved, I then re-tuned my plane ....the plane should fly like its on rails before you even install a zohd

Will your wing fly straight and level...hands off the sticks?.......do you have much trim input in your radio to make that plane fly straight and level HANDS OFF THE STICKS WHEN IN MANUAL MODE

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@quique i have no explanation as to why a non compass GPS would care which way it is mounted. I generally prefer GPS units with compass like the 880 or the here2 in my bigger things. All i know is that the 880s need to be mounted the right way and it seems to work if the smaller ones are mounted similarly.
20200910_072738.jpg

Not sure about the plug, all of mine are mounted the same way it looks like.

quique

hello everyone, more tests,

I have changed the position of the gps in different positions and it remains the same, I think the position does not influence anything, sometimes it goes better without less jumps and other times, the RTH depends on the speed, now I explain it.

I launch a challenge to test, to lower the speed in RTH so that it only regulates the controller.

I have discovered that if the accelerator is below 50% even less it goes much better slower and stops jumping, it is true that with a little wind it does not make circles, rather scribbles but it does it around 50-80m of height and 50-100m radius, quite reliable.

Finally in my case I think the problem is due to the speed of the wing, it is very fast, I have an EDF on, which I have reached 140km / h. the problem with the RTH is corrected by lowering the speed below 50% of the control, I have lowered it to approximately 15%, and the controller varies the speed autonomously, if it is faced with the wind, it accelerates, it can be heard perfectly.

At all times I refer to the safe RTH mode in a circle, not to the assisted takeoff with the RTH here if you have to keep the accelerator at 80% to launch it but when it takes height lower it as I comment below 50%

On the other hand, I have already commented that in stabilized mode it is perfect.
I have the gain potentiometers very close to 12:00 with little gain.

regards

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I have the gain potentiometers very close to 12:00 with little gain.

regards
I realize every plane will have different sensitivity to the gain settings, but I too fly wings and have less gain then you show in the photo.....wings need very little throw/distance with elevons
if you dont try the advice given you will never know..its trial and error with setup cause every craft flys diff.........hope you work out your incorrect setup

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I noticed that the throttle setting seems very high on RTH with my ZoHd too. It was not a problem for the plane in my video as it needs to fly quite fast to remain stable. I dont use many wings myself so im no expert but i have noticed they are a bit harder to get tuned correctly. I think you may be correct about the speed inducing the oscillation in RTH. You could try to mechanically reduce the throws on your controls as much as possible and see if that helps...