2017/2018 Balsa Build Along, SIG HOG BIPE ELECTRIC CONVERSION

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
The metal building board wont move, at least mine wont move as it is pretty heavy.

Working on the cap strips now, then will glue in p2 mounts, then wingtips and finally will get to the tail-feathers possibly later next week or weekend.

IMG_3757.JPG

Silverdog

Could you give me a rough estimate of the dims of your metal surface? Such as thickness and outer measurements. I might need to use the one I have for magnet storage, for it is lite with a silver coated finish (I know, I'm a cheapskate.). I don't believe it's galvanized but it holds the magnets like crazy.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
As long as it holds magnets nice and tight and can lay out a half a wing, I'd just lay it on a flat surface like 3/4" MDF or a hollow core door and call it good. The metal shelf I'm using as my primary build surface is 11" x 42" and it's not too inconvenient.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Here is a link to my MAGNETIC BUILDING BOARD BUILD

I started out on a folding card table with some plywood on top of it, but it wasn't very flat so I purchased a Uline maple packing table and then put a hollow core door on top of that and then the steel board on that. It is really flat now. The thread goes over all that I think.

I have a little room in our house that I use for my little workshop and I hope someday I can have a larger work area with a different house, but for now I can build 60 inch one piece wings with no problem. I might be able to build 1/4 scale, but it would be a challenge.

Silverdog

Thanks! At the very least I'm going with a heavier metal sheet. I have a hollow core door already that I kept my balsa building board on for using pins. It has a steel frame supporting it. I have a 12 x 16 shop, but I'm moving my plane building into a spare bedroom. Summers in Texas are not forgiving and I could buy many planes with the cost of running my shop A/C.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I like having my main building area inside the house as the wife wont think I am gone all the time. I do have a garage with a workbench that I do drilling and other short course work on outside, but I don't spend too much time out there.

I noticed a small up turn (warp) on one of the wing tips. I think this is due to our very dry cold weather here in Washington state along with some snow causing the wood to warp a little. I put the wing into my magnetic presses and pressed it flat again, then glued on the trailing edge stock. That should straighten things out good enough. When it drys I will work on the wing tips and hinging, then the upper wing will be done.

IMG_3766.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
UPDATE

It's been a long journey, but the upper wing is almost done. I just need to install the trailing edge center piece, aileron hinging, ailerons and shape the trailing edge blocks.

IMG_2512.JPG

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Is it wrong to want to softly caress those smooth curves and lines of balsa?

Asking for a friend :p

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I already did...I am waiting to do the final fill and sanding on all the components until I am done building, then the real caressing will begin...anyway, I got to use my tall vertical presses tonight to epoxy on the trailing edge center piece. The magnetic presses are sure fun to use.

Upper wing build.jpg

You're going to make me a convert to this magnet business.... I'm still clinging to the same pins I've had since the early eighties! All the fixtures and clamping arrangements are really neat!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
It's a good thing I have these build threads, because there are so many ways to jig things up that I forget how it did it last time. Looking back on the builds helps me remember what works and what doesn't.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
UPEER WING FINISHED

Finished the top wing tonight, finally. Next on the build table is the tail feathers. I actually have enough parts now to put the hog in the bones, without a tail, and I may if I get some time.

IMG_3770.JPG

Silverdog

Well done! The wing looks awesome! Do you have a weight target? Your build has the appearance of super light. Mine always seem to be at the heavy end of the spectrum.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Thanks, Well, I haven't given weight much consideration yet, but I feel like it will be on the average to heavy side for the Hog. I did some weight comparisons with my electric power system compared to gas and nitro powered and it was about the same with a full tank of fuel. I will do some weighing after I build the tail and post the specs.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Robart hing point installation

I decided to fit the Robart 1/8" hinge points into the horizontal stabilizer trailing edge and elevator halves before I built the Frame to try and get better alignment and easier installation. I measured and taped the elevator halves to the HS trailing edge stock then used a pin vise to drill the holes. After drilling the holes in the original TE stock I snapped it in half because the holes weakened it, so I used some 1/4 x 3/4" balsa stock I had on hand as I didn't have any of the 1/4x 1/2" to replace it. This is a bit stronger and I will need to cut away 1/4" on the ends to match the plans but it should work great.

After I drilled a hole I would install a dowel to help hold in alignmrnt as I drilled the next holes.
IMG_3772.JPG

See the old TE stock I broke, but the wider TE stock worked great and the hinges are fitted well.
IMG_3773.JPG

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Working on the framing, you can see how I had to deviate from rhe plans a bit to accomidate the larger trailing edge stock.

IMG_3777.JPG

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Got the horizontal stabilizer framing finished and am now working on the sheeting. Getting some work done this weekend as today it has been a mixed bag of weather.

Working on joining the 3" sheeting to sheet the Horizontal Stab. Here you can see how I propped the sheet seem open to apply the glue. After the glue (Titebond II in my case) is applied lay it flat, wipe off the excess, flip it over and apply weights, or whatever, to keep it flat.
IMG_3780.JPG

Horizontal Stab framed up and ready to sheet.
IMG_3781.JPG

Last edited: