Addicted to Warbirds

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Hi guys, my name is Michael and I have a warbird problem :D. I've gone and tried other models but always come back to warbirds in the end. There is just something so cool about seeing them up in the air. The fleet is at 20 planes and still climbing.
IMG_0365.JPG
Would love to see some photos of everyone's warbird collections and their opinions on flying warbirds!

Userofmuchtape&glue

Posted a thousand or more times
Wow man you have a serious problem!

I have owned a P-51, 30'' WS and it was fun but sooo powerful and nimble for my inexperienced self after my trainer!
August 536.jpg

Also a scratchbuilt CAC boomerang.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Man, been there far too many times.. sorry to see it in that state though. Although, I can say the bigger ones tend to be a bit more forgiving than the smaller birds though. My big FMS P-51 handles more like a big trainer than a speed demon. The CAC boomerang sounds pretty cool though, it is certainly one of those planes you hardly ever see modeled, a very unique choice!

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
Nice collection, love the helis. I have a FMS Zero that I may never fly... It's too pretty :)
Thanks! The helis are a lot of fun for sure! Which size zero do you have? I think FMS makes 3 sizes now.. I've seen a friend fly the big 1400mm version, and it is a real sweetheart in the air.
Yes! that would be amazing. I was thinking about a German paint job on a mig something. maybe 35?
That would be interesting. The only thing I'd be worried about on that airframe with a prop/slot jet is that they like to fly at a higher angle of attack. Might need a bit of a down angle on the camera to get a good view. Be sure to post when you start a build!

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Thanks! The helis are a lot of fun for sure! Which size zero do you have? I think FMS makes 3 sizes now.. I've seen a friend fly the big 1400mm version, and it is a real sweetheart in the air.

Mine is the 1100mm. Unfortunately banggood didn't have the 1400 or I would've gone for that.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
That's a pretty big hangar!

Warbirds do have a certain allure, don't they :)

How has your experience been with the Seafury? I have an Avios SF that's been grounded for a long time due to bad flap servos, but I want to get that repaired and flying for this season.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I've heard good things about that one as well, just never seen it fly in person. I really love that FMS included the inner gear doors on that one, such a simple addition makes a great improvement in the appearance! Let me know if you ever do decide to take it out flying though, certainly a nice looking machine.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
That's a pretty big hangar!

Warbirds do have a certain allure, don't they :)

How has your experience been with the Seafury? I have an Avios SF that's been grounded for a long time due to bad flap servos, but I want to get that repaired and flying for this season.
My experience with the Sea Fury has been great, after a lot of initial grief. When I received it, I had a dead stock motor, and broke the prop on my first taxi. The tailwheel snapped of shortly after as well. I then re-powered the plane with an FMS 550kv motor, 15" 5-blade varioprop, and a retractable tail wheel. From then on, its been up in the air almost every weekend. It flies very locked in and steady, and really cuts through the wind. Also, give the gear mounts a solid tug before flying. Mine were hardly glued in at all, and pulled out on my first landing. Here is a photo of mine in a low pass, its hard not to love how it looks in the air:
DSC_0975.jpg

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Very nice! I already re-glued my gear in (I swear to god they were just pressed into the wing) but everything else seems to work. Is it pretty well behaved at low speed? I know that it likes to drop a wing in stalls, but I'm curious to know if the stall speed is low enough that it won't be a problem.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
The stall speed is a bit higher than average for your average 1200mm model, but it does give you a pretty good warning before anything happens. I have only stalled it once for testing purposes, and you'll notice the controls seem to become dull and sluggish as you start getting close to a stall, apply a bit of power, and it flies right out of it. With flaps, it can really be slowed down as much as you want. However, I wouldn't advise using them on your first few landings. They really increase the noseover tendency on this model and ups your chance of busting a prop.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I loved my FT mustang, such a good flyer!

I'm really tempted to blow up Rasterize's "Old Crow" skin up to full size and build another swappable mustang with some extra goodies (3d printed exhaust, clear canopy with the interior Rasterize did, retracts, maybe lights,) but that's just a pipe dream right now. I have to actually finish some of my builds for FF first. I have a pietenpol that I started a few days ago that coming along pretty nicely, and a few other planes to finish before then.