FT Storch Owners Thread

Gazoo

I like your build video. I do have some tips on Storch building too, I will post up some when I get a chance. Im solving one issue right now with the wing trailing edge against the fuse where it is bending due to the rubber band dowl placement. Im going to reinforce the wing with carbon fiber rods and foam board.

I had issues with the wing buckling as well. I punched some holes just after the bottom plate on the wing. This one is not the Storch but I did the same on it and it works pretty well. Same concept.

Attachments

• 20161103_194504.jpg
    20161103_194504.jpg
    913.3 KB · Views: 2

basslord1124

Master member
Something else that I just remembered too.... in the FT build video and in the plans, it has these wooden discs that from my understanding are supposed to help keep the power pod more secure. Is this their purpose or is it something else? Also, are they really a necessity to install? Have you all done this with yours? If so, does it help?

Gazoo

To keep the bamboo skewer from tearing in the foam board, I use a 1'"square of gift card with a 1/8" hole drilled in the center. Put the skewer in place, put some hot glue on the square (do not cover the hole) and slide it over the skewer gluing it to the foam board. This will spread out the load. The disks work the same.

I like to put them on the inside of the foam board but this is just for looks.

EDIT: I found a pic

Attachments

• 20161101_213904.jpg
    20161101_213904.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Yup, I do the gift card thing too. I try to put them on the inside of any dowl mounting point.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I had issues with the wing buckling as well. I punched some holes just after the bottom plate on the wing. This one is not the Storch but I did the same on it and it works pretty well. Same concept.

I will take a look at this next build, but for now, to repair and reinforce I'm going to try the carbon fiber idea I have. Its super easy and I will post up some pics in a few days when I get a chance to do reinforcement work.
It seems that my job and personal life are getting in the way of FT stuff...

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I actually use an 808 keyfob camera that shoots 720p video. It works great, costs $20 and only weighs 19grams. I just velcro it on under the fuse in-between the landing gear. The velcro holds great!

IMG_1548.JPG

You can purchase nicer keyfob cameras also. I like them as they are low profile and very light.

Last edited:

Strix

I like your build video. I do have some tips on Storch building too, I will post up some when I get a chance. Im solving one issue right now with the wing trailing edge against the fuse where it is bending due to the rubber band dowl placement. Im going to reinforce the wing with carbon fiber rods and foam board.

I had the same problem. I reinforced with a couple of popsicle sticks and foamboard topped with posterboard.

Here's the bottom of the wing on my beat up old Storch:

storch.jpg

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Do you store the plane with the wing on? Buckling has never happened on my Storch and it is 18months old but it did happen on my Bushwacker - which I often stored with the wing on.

basslord1124

Master member
Main part of my wing is done. First time doing this so, whew I'm rusty. Appearance is kinda "meh" in places but I've got faith in it that it will fly. Next will be tackling the fuse.

And I'm assuming this will get easier as I go. And maybe look better as well.

tamuct01

I did something very similar to this. I initially added a popsicle stick to the top of the trailing edge in the center of the wing to keep the rubber bands from crushing the foam. However, I noticed after a couple of flights that the wing was actually buckling under the pressure since the foam is only 1 layer thick for the last 2 inches or so. I built up the space with additional foam and popsicle sticks to keep the wing from buckling. It was bad enough that the angle of attack on the wing was affected. I also added popsicle sticks to the fuselage on both edges so that the dihedral wing would seat flat and not rock back and forth on the flat fuselage. I've also reinforced the landing gear area and areas where the BBQ skewers run through the fuselage to keep the foam from tearing. With these mods the Storch flies great, looks great, and is an overall joy.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
WING REINFORCEMENT FIX FOR TRAILING EDGE BUCKLING

Here is my fix for the rear of wing buckling. I used carbon fiber as the bbq skewers flexed to much.

BEFORE
IMG_2450.JPG

AFTER
IMG_2461.JPG

Start by flexing the bent part straight and actually flex it past straight a small amount, then poke small bbq skewers through the back of wing all the way into the wing spar touching the wood in spar.
IMG_2452.JPG

Then poke the carbon rod into the same hole all the way to the spar and mark it to cut to size.
IMG_2454.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG

Now, with the carbon rods cut, inject a healthy amount of hot glue into the holes and install the rods as straight as possible into the holes making sure their flush to the wing edge and touching the spar. Do one at a time.

IMG_2455.JPG
IMG_2456.JPG

Now finish up with a little hot glue in the spar area where the rods barely poke through touching the wood, you have to drip it in as its hard to access.

Finally have a piece of foam board cut to size, mark where the carbon rods are going to seat on it, make shallow cuts on those lines, take a bbq skewer and go over the cuts so the rods will sit in the fb tightly and apply hot glue to the piece and install. I pre-bent the piece also so it sits better on wing.
IMG_2457.JPG
IMG_2459.JPG

There ya go, it seems to be super strong now! I will report back later with how it holds up over time.

Last edited:

Hayduke27

I have been flying my Storch since Thanksgiving. It was my first 4-channel trainer, and my learning curve was steep. I crashed and repaired it more times than I can count. It's still flying, however, and now it's on skis and I'm loving it. Buzzing around doing touch and go's off the snow is a real kick in the pants. I have just begun doing basic aerobatics with it, and am getting used to the slow roll rate.

I'm running 2200 mah 3 cell batteries on the power pack C set up (9x6 prop), and I only get about 10 minutes of flight time per battery (though that is plenty for me). I run about 1/2 throttle, and that gives it plenty of power to get around and do what I want it to. I'm also flying at about 8,100 feet elevation, so that may come into play so far as performance goes.

All in all I really enjoy the Storch. I already bought a new one, and when I feel like I'm done crashing the original (this happens less and less now) I'm going to built a nice new one without all the crunch marks in it :p

Gazoo

Do you store the plane with the wing on? Buckling has never happened on my Storch and it is 18months old but it did happen on my Bushwacker - which I often stored with the wing on.

I do store with the wing on. But it actually buckled on the first flight. This was just the best solution I could think of without adding weight. Looks a little ugly but the rubber bands were never really beautiful anyway.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I'm running 2200 mah 3 cell batteries on the power pack C set up (9x6 prop), and I only get about 10 minutes of flight time per battery (though that is plenty for me). I run about 1/2 throttle, and that gives it plenty of power to get around and do what I want it to. I'm also flying at about 8,100 feet elevation, so that may come into play so far as performance

10 min of flight time is normal for that setup. Im only getting seven, but I push it hard too.

basslord1124

Master member
I'm going to attempt to do the landing gear from the build video...it doesn't seem to be that bad. I was wondering if anyone has ever done it and if so, what sort of wire did you use? I was thinking of using the wire off of an old wire clothes hanger.

Swimjim

I did my Storch with a speed build kit and the wire was supplied. Making the landing gear is easier then it looks. I would think the average coat hanger these days would bend too easy. Some where there is a spec to the wire used. A trip down to the hardware store should get you fixed up.