FT Storch Owners Thread

Swimjim

The build videos are far superior to written directions. I'll second that. I'm not a spring chicken and I don't do computer things terribly well. But I figured out how to capture Youtubes and down load them to my laptop. Something a 12 year old could probably do better then I. Although the Storch is a great plane and not that hard of a build. I think I would have sent the Nutball as it's easier all the way around. YMMV

Gazoo

She's got quite a roll rate Basslord. Do you have the dihedral specified by the plans or is it less? Mine can't roll like that. Although, I use the full length ailerons/flaperons and get lots of adverse yaw. Nice flying.

basslord1124

Master member
She's got quite a roll rate Basslord. Do you have the dihedral specified by the plans or is it less? Mine can't roll like that. Although, I use the full length ailerons/flaperons and get lots of adverse yaw. Nice flying.

Holy crap yes! :eek: Dihedral is specified by the plans and I use full length ailerons...no flaps at all. I did not use the throw gauge that FT has on the plans so I'm not sure how mine compares...makes me curious though. I personally love it b/c I have been wanting to improve my aerobatics skills and even this high wing Storch allows me to explore that. Here's a rundown of what I got going with it...

1200KV motor
30A ESC
9x6 prop
TowerPro 9g servos
Homemade control horns (out of old credit cards)
2200Mah 3S Lipo

Low rates are set at 70% and High rates at 100%.... I think only at one point in the video I went to high rates, rest of the time was low rates.

basslord1124

Master member
Oh yeah, forgot to mention...the barrel roll I did at around 2:18 was accidental. lol. I always thought barrel rolls were some of the neatest rolls to watch and I've wanted to start learning how to do them. Guess I did one without even realizing what I was doing.

basslord1124

Master member
From my experience, FT's specs in terms of electronics is pretty good EXCEPT I think they should give a little more headroom in the ESC department. Meaning, if they recommend a 30A ESC with whatever motor/prop/battery combo then you should actually get a 40A ESC.

I did the recommended specs on the Storch and at full throttle I was pushing over 30A on a 30A speed controller...so I backed the prop down a size. On the Seaduck, I went ahead and got a 40A speed controller instead of the 30A recommended by the power pack and sure enough at full steam/fully charged battery it went over 30A.

So to avoid burning something up and just giving you some extra assurance/headroom get an ESC that is just a little higher than stock recommendations. Some may be ok with how they are running their's...I just prefer/recommend to play it safe.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
From my experience, FT's specs in terms of electronics is pretty good EXCEPT I think they should give a little more headroom in the ESC department. Meaning, if they recommend a 30A ESC with whatever motor/prop/battery combo then you should actually get a 40A ESC.

I did the recommended specs on the Storch and at full throttle I was pushing over 30A on a 30A speed controller...so I backed the prop down a size. On the Seaduck, I went ahead and got a 40A speed controller instead of the 30A recommended by the power pack and sure enough at full steam/fully charged battery it went over 30A.

So to avoid burning something up and just giving you some extra assurance/headroom get an ESC that is just a little higher than stock recommendations. Some may be ok with how they are running their's...I just prefer/recommend to play it safe.

Take a look at my C Pack, it has unlimited vertical and power for the Storch and it only weighs a tiny bit more than the FT design. It has so much power it is ridicules, more power is better!

Swimjim

My Storch is the most successful FT plane that I have built. Unfortunately, it was getting a bit banged up as my building skills are much better then my piloting skills. So the time for some surgery had come.... 06031701.jpg

06031703.jpg

So, I printed out the nose section from the tiled plans and built a new one..

While I was at it, I added an extra layer on both sides to strengthen the nose section like you would see on a Sportster... 06031704.jpg

Now everything is all straight and nice again. Can't wait to get her back into the air!

Attachments

• 06031705.jpg
    06031705.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 2

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My old Storch looks like that...maybe I should pull it off the wall in the garage someday and get the tape out!

basslord1124

Master member
wind

Anybody ever tried flying their Storch in heavier winds?

I had the experience yesterday. I was at our RC field yesterday and the wind had started picking up. It calmed down for a few so I took off and go figure as soon as I got it up in the air the wind picked up again. I'd guess somewhere between 8-10mph. Take that coupled with the fact that I didn't realize I was in high rates for the first 1/3 of the flight it made for a crazy squirrely flight. Once I toned the control surfaces back to low rates it was a little tamer...wind still shook it around quite a bit though.

Gazoo

I had the experience yesterday. I was at our RC field yesterday and the wind had started picking up. It calmed down for a few so I took off and go figure as soon as I got it up in the air the wind picked up again. I'd guess somewhere between 8-10mph. Take that coupled with the fact that I didn't realize I was in high rates for the first 1/3 of the flight it made for a crazy squirrely flight. Once I toned the control surfaces back to low rates it was a little tamer...wind still shook it around quite a bit though.

I have flown the Storch in some pretty aggressive winds. There is a lot of surface area compared to the weight so it does get tossed around a bit. Running the B-pack, I have been concerned that I could not get back flying against the wind. I had to gain significant altitude and then do a full throttle decent to get enough airspeed to fly into the wind. I got the tail surfaces to flutter quite a bit with the airspeed.

Always fly upwind in case of a power loss or you will never see it again.

I fly it with a C-pack now.

Gazoo

My Storch is the most successful FT plane that I have built. Unfortunately, it was getting a bit banged up as my building skills are much better then my piloting skills. So the time for some surgery had come....

Now everything is all straight and nice again. Can't wait to get her back into the air!

Hey Swimjim, is that an orange wire nut holding the wheel on?

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast

Ya, the large wing does get a little floaty in winds. Landing can get exciting... Mine is on the heavy side with a powerhouse custom C pack, so I usually just power through whatever these days, except landing in wind is still exciting...

basslord1124

Master member
Ya, the large wing does get a little floaty in winds. Landing can get exciting... Mine is on the heavy side with a powerhouse custom C pack, so I usually just power through whatever these days, except landing in wind is still exciting...

My landing was probably the best part. lol. I glided it in and with the wind plus the amount of throttle I applied, sometimes it's like it appeared to hover there. I got it down nicely and safely...little further away, but it was fine.

tamuct01

The Storch is an interesting bird. I'm using the power pack C as well with the flaps wing. The wind at our club is almost always a crosswind to the runway, and I've found that with a flaps-down approach the Storch will slow down up to a point where it weathervanes quickly. This usually happens at the most inopportune time. For the windy crosswind landings I've learned to opt for no flaps and do a power-on landing. An overall fantastic plane that is (mostly) predictable, floaty, and fun!