FT Storch Owners Thread

basslord1124

Master member
Really? I've came across some pretty stout hanger wires. Of course the bad thing is, the bottom portion is the only straight part of it. Yeah Bixler said in the video that it seems a lot complained about making the landing gear...I think it looks pretty easy.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Really? I've came across some pretty stout hanger wires. Of course the bad thing is, the bottom portion is the only straight part of it. Yeah Bixler said in the video that it seems a lot complained about making the landing gear...I think it looks pretty easy.

Somewhere in this thread or the other Storch thread is the landing gear wire specs. Don't use coat hanger, it will bend on landing, then sad face. I will measure mine later and post the size - diameter. I think it's 15.5" long wire to start.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Landing gear wire

Here is the stuff I use and it works great. I totaled this Storch a few times and the landing gear never bent once. The wire I use is close to .090 music wire, I think it is .093... 15.5 inches long.

IMG_2484.JPG

IMG_2485.JPG

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Here is the stuff I use and it works great. I totaled this Storch a few times and the landing gear never bent once. The wire I use is close to .090 music wire, I think it is .093... 15.5 inches long.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I just picked up some 1/8" thick wire from a local hardware/farm supply store. Seems plenty sturdy enough. :)

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Awesome, thanks for the heads up. I just picked up some 1/8" thick wire from a local hardware/farm supply store. Seems plenty sturdy enough. :)

That should work ok, 1/8" is equal to 4/32" so it is only 1/32" larger than what I use. It will just have a little more weight, but the Storch doesn't care about weight as long as you have the power plant built up enough.

basslord1124

Master member
Landing gear wire is installed, next is wheels. I had some rubber wheels that look like they'd belong on a Corsair that I was going to try...they were 2" wheels and I thought they looked kinda puny. So going to pick up a larger size.

Other last minute things to do:
-Mount motor and get the electronics to the power pod hooked up
-Install control horns and linkages
-Test control surfaces and run a power test
-Check CG, charge battery, and go fly.

I'd probably go a little faster but our weather has been "meh". :(

Erwin Rommel's storch

Here is my collection

Attachments

• IMG_20161211_115821.jpg
    IMG_20161211_115821.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20161211_115750.jpg
    IMG_20161211_115750.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20160709_181320.jpg
    IMG_20160709_181320.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20160814_170108.jpg
    IMG_20160814_170108.jpg
    686.5 KB · Views: 3

drewdb

A thread just for the great Storch. Thought i'd show mine and thank everyone for the great info and mods here. Will have to add the tail wheel for sure.

Storch 2.jpg Storch 1.jpg

drewdb

Hi nhk750.

I designed them in Illustrator and printed them onto some adhesive paper. a little heavier but it's a Storch :)

rcmojo. love your design there. very nice.

basslord1124

Master member
Here's my attempt at a maiden this weekend. Didn't go like I was hoping.

Now, I could've sworn there was some posts here on reinforcing the wing in the area that buckled on mine.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looks like you are using the flaperon version? Check and make sure your ailerons are centered really good, possibly one is off just a little causing it to bank. Turn your expo on the controller up too, the Storch with the big aileron surface is super sensitive. Also, the Storch, can STOL, so after it starts moving you can full throttle and it should leap off the ground and fly.

basslord1124

Master member
Awesome thanks! :D Knew I had seen it somewhere. I was almost thinking of cutting holes/grooves into the foam as well for the rubber bands to help relieve some tension. Maybe similar to this:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-Owners-Thread&p=323337&viewfull=1#post323337
(Post 61 by Gazoo)

During the build process, I just sort of saw that as a weak area once the rubber bands were on.

Mine's just the aileron version and yeah I know the control surfaces are huge!! :eek: I already had some expo on the controller but after this, I am gonna increase it some more.

basslord1124

Master member
Oh and another quick question... how many rubber bands do you guys usually put on for your wings? Think for this flight I had 6...and I was using the size 64 bands.

basslord1124

Master member
Success....

Successful flight with the Storch...

Did reinforce that part of the wing...in the video, you can see the cross section thing I did with the wood sticks on top and underneath the wing I ran 2 wood dowels from the trailing edge to the center of the wing and then glued them in place. Also did cut some rubber band notches as well.

Yeah characteristics are crazy...on this flight I had the expo cranked real high and ran on low rates at 60%. Even with that, I was able to pull off some nice rolls.

basslord1124

Master member
Oh yeah, the landing was a little rough and I'll have to reglue part of the landing gear. Will have to replace the firewall too. I swear I think I'm going to make/buy a bunch of firewalls just to keep on hand lol. But repairs won't be too bad. Next thing is to give it some color.

I was thinking an army green color, but after thinking about it I may have too many planes that are green colored.