FT Storch Owners Thread

Gastalver

My scratch build FT Simple Storch:
IMG_20170413_183226.jpg

It is made of "cartón pluma" the alternative material we have here at Spain that it is about 50% heavier than foamboard.
-3s 2200mah battery.
-Emax GT 2215/09 (1180 KV)
-10x4,7 propeller.

I only get about 5 mins of flight. When the voltage falls under 3,9 V the motor propulsion seems to be insuficient, and the plane loses sustentation.

I'm going to try a 9x6 propeller and flaperons. Hope it increases time of flight.

The plane, when it is in flight, it is very beautiful. Very stable. Nice landings.

I run the suppo 2217 1250 kv on 9x6 prop 2200mah and I get 30 to 40 min flight time. I have a little extra weight due to the Bombay door,windows,servos for flaps, and paint.
Good luck hope figure it out.

Attachments

• IMG_20161211_115750.jpg
    IMG_20161211_115750.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 4

RCMAN

Theres a guy that did a bigger motor in this thread somewhere and has some good videos of his Powerfull Storch. I think it was nhk750?

Kyrre

Im about to build a Storch spedd build kit. but was wondering if its possible to download plans for the canopy decal? I have been trying to find it online, but with no luck so far. And shipping for the decal alone to europe is 15$, so thats out of the question.

Bayboos

I'm afraid you may be out of luck, my friend. I saw this question popping up here and there, but with no real answer. The only way I can help you is the scan of my own template, derived from the original stickers; but it's only side windows and not the best quality either:

storch windows.png

Kyrre

Appreciate the help. I have downloaded the picture from the product page and was planning on trying to simply edit it and print it out as a last solution.

Spitfire76

I just started to build my first FT plane, the FT Simple Storch, with a quick build kit that I picked up at Flitefest West. I have only flown multi rotors before and have no real experience with fixed wing aircraft. Should I install the flaps or initially use flaperons ?. If flaperons how do I setup that up on my Taranis Tx ?.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I just started to build my first FT plane, the FT Simple Storch, with a quick build kit that I picked up at Flitefest West. I have only flown multi rotors before and have no real experience with fixed wing aircraft. Should I install the flaps or initially use flaperons ?. If flaperons how do I setup that up on my Taranis Tx ?.

Dont do flaperons, they induce tip stalls and are for a more aerobatic plane. I can never get them to wwork right either. Standard flaps are way more fun and predicable.

lankyjames

Finally got to maiden my storch, built it with my dad while he was visiting (from the UK, to Canada), got it painted up while he was here but no electronics installed.
IMG_5120.JPG
FullSizeRender.jpg
IMG_3580.JPG

Spitfire76

This is my first build so maybe a silly question but what should the angle of the bevel cut be on the wing's leading edge ?.

Spitfire76

Please ignore my last post. I just made a roughly 45 degree bevel on each edge and it worked out just fine. I used the technique to cut the bevel using the 9mm OLAF knife as Josh describes in the Bloody Baron build.

Spitfire76

Any advice on how to set the throttle and servos on the Storch for failsafe (TX = Taranis) ?

Last edited:

magic_marty

Flite test gives negative feedback/reviews on plane kits with no instructions, but fails to look in the mirror!
Check this out!
I order 2 simple storch pre-cut build kits I sent one to my nephew (27 hour drive away from me) with a crafty kit and all the electronics needed for a 5 chanel, to him.
He called me tonight about 3 hours ago asking me how to put the kit together.
Yeah Flite test has ZERO build instructions for a 12 year old boy to follow.
I couldn't believe it.
A company HUGE on family values puts out a silly foam kit with zero instructions.

So I had to pay off my sisters 250+ bill, so my nephew could look it up on the Internet to get build instructions
Yeah I am a bit pissed off about it.

They provide a very good build video that's why there is no instructions in the kits...The video takes you through the build process step by step..

RCMAN

Maybe they could raise the price of the speed builds by 1$ and include a black and white instruction manual cheaply printed out.

Gazoo

Build instructions with printed pictures and words would help very little. To really see how a plane is assembled (the right way) requires a build video. Now, if there was a QR code or a URL printed on the data sheet that directs someone to the build video, that might be nice.

After spending some time researching FliteTest and which plane I wanted to build first, it was pretty much a given that I would need to reference the (very thorough and well crafted) build video. But then, my fist was a scratch build.

What would we ever do without the YouTube and Google machine???

Gazoo

Lots of power

Hello all I was wondering if anyone tried the GT2815/07 emax motor or similar on the simple storch

http://www.emaxmotor.com/emax-gt-2218-power-10-brushless-motor.html#.WRfaTmhOmf0

There is the link with specs
Tyvm
Bill

Edit point
I am building a trainer for my little sister. Yet when I fly it is want a bit of fun.
I am aware of wing loading. I started out control wire, then AM TX and then FM TX. All glow engines 3-D On FM tx.
My goal is hovering the storch.
This will be my first ever electric build

This motor looks like it pulls 36 amps on a 3S. I think it is way more power (and weight) than the Storch needs. The Storch only goes about 2 lbs. and is a gentle flyer. Anything from 15 to 25 amps would be sufficient in my opinion.

From the Storch specs:
RECOMMENDED MOTOR: 810 kv minimum

RECOMMENDED PROP: 10 x 4.7 prop

RECOMMENDED ESC: 18 - 30 amp

RECOMMENDED BATTERY: 1800 - 2200 mAH 3s

RECOMMENDED SERVOS: (4 - 6) 9 gram servos

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Flite test gives negative feedback/reviews on plane kits with no instructions, but fails to look in the mirror!
Check this out!
I order 2 simple storch pre-cut build kits I sent one to my nephew (27 hour drive away from me) with a crafty kit and all the electronics needed for a 5 chanel, to him.
He called me tonight about 3 hours ago asking me how to put the kit together.
Yeah Flite test has ZERO build instructions for a 12 year old boy to follow.
I couldn't believe it.
A company HUGE on family values puts out a silly foam kit with zero instructions.

So I had to pay off my sisters 250+ bill, so my nephew could look it up on the Internet to get build instructions
Yeah I am a bit pissed off about it.

There are ways to download YouTube videos. I often download the build videos so I can move through the video and not hang up YouTube. In the future, you could drop the video on a thumb drive. The build videos are far superior to written directions. It would take many, many pages to write up a proper set of directions to build something like a Simple Storch.

Mike