Building the Storch!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I have a mpcnc with needle cutter, but I still flip through the box of speed build kits at the local hobby shop. Built a goblin from a kit a few weeks ago, honestly I prefer my cuts over the laser kits. But it is nice to have a kit on the shelf for when the itch to build something in an afternoon hits.
I never had a SBK but I think doin my own cuts allows flexibility in mods and customization. I would like to get ahold of a case of FTFB though

Matagami Designs

Master member
Not yet but I really want to try an EDF plane. Did you happen to notice the F-14 Tomcats in the background of Overstreets Spitfire pics... swing wing dual EDF's, hell yea brings me back to the Top Gun days... Right in to the danger zone :cool: Ain't that right goose

When that F-14 comes out i will be forced to try an EDF. I wonder if i should build the Viggen or the X-29 to get me ready for it? I guess what FT is missing is their own EDF motor to make it easier.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
When that F-14 comes out i will be forced to try an EDF. I wonder if i should build the Viggen or the X-29 to get me ready for it? I guess what FT is missing is their own EDF motor to make it easier.
Watching the vids on the Viggen they are saying it is one of the most docile least intimidating EDF planes on the market. It would be a good transition to the EDF playing field if that's the case. Have you done the EDF thing before?
I gotta get myself a box of that too. There’s no problem getting it in Canada, right?
I have ordered from the FT store and got my stuff within 4-7 days, all small stuff, not anything as big as a case of 50 sheets of FB but I couldn't see it being an issue... other then damage in handling and shipping it shouldn't be a problem

Matagami Designs

Master member
Watching the vids on the Viggen they are saying it is one of the most docile least intimidating EDF planes on the market. It would be a good transition to the EDF playing field if that's the case. Have you done the EDF thing before?

I have ordered from the FT store and got my stuff within 4-7 days, all small stuff, not anything as big as a case of 50 sheets of FB but I couldn't see it being an issue... other then damage in handling and shipping it shouldn't be a problem

Zero EDF experience. I looked at the viggen a couple times already but i don't know what edf to get with it as they only have power pack B and C motors.

Apple Pie

Elite member
I put my storch on an old set of balsa floats that have been in a box for the past 30 years. She’s a beauty!
E75ED562-EB3D-4100-B327-2607AF12AAA0.jpeg

Headbang

Master member
I gotta get myself a box of that too. There’s no problem getting it in Canada, right?
I just got 2 boxes of 50. Issue was cost of shipping. I have managed to get a box of 25 from great hobbies for $60. If you can wait several weeks you may save some coin going that route.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Zero EDF experience. I looked at the viggen a couple times already but i don't know what edf to get with it as they only have power pack B and C motors.
The Viggen runs either a 64mm or 70mm rite, shouldn't be that hard to find one I am guessing

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I just got 2 boxes of 50. Issue was cost of shipping. I have managed to get a box of 25 from great hobbies for $60. If you can wait several weeks you may save some coin going that route.
I asked about it at Great Hobbies as well and yeah it was $60 for 25 or $120 for 50. I didn't know it took them that long to get it in though

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You guys have to stop these group builds, I can't keep up. I still am not even close on my spitfire build. LOL
There's no hurry with any of them. They don't have a time frame. Finish your Spit or swap back and forth between builds if you like (many of us do). The group builds just enhance the enjoyment I get out of building and crashing these planes. I still build planes on my own (I've built four Mini Scout Biplanes, now :p), but it's just so much more fun when you get to share it with others.

There's some I haven't participated in because I'm not quite ready yet. The X-29 and the Master Series Corsair come to mind. They're awesome group builds, though. When I'm ready to build 'em, I'll be joining in, even if every other single person is done and maidened! :D

Hoomi

Master member
Not yet but I really want to try an EDF plane. Did you happen to notice the F-14 Tomcats in the background of Overstreets Spitfire pics... swing wing dual EDF's, hell yea brings me back to the Top Gun days... Right in to the danger zone :cool: Ain't that right goose
I have 8 flights now on my first EDF. My wife ordered it for me as my holiday present this past year. I ordered the add-on landing gear and an Eagle A3 Pro gyro. It makes things a bit cramped inside it, but she's a fun-flying EDF, and low enough cost that I'm not sweating bullets on the prospect of how much a crash would cost. I also have the Freewing 64mm A-10, but I'm waiting to fly it until I get just a bit more experience with the Stinger.

Anyone looking for a reasonable first EDF, I've been having fun with the Stinger. I have my timer set for 2:40, which gives me enough margin for an extra go-round if I need one, and still have enough battery to taxi in. I'm running the recommended Admiral 3S 1600mAh 30C battery, and have no problem with rolling take-offs from our dirt runway.

Freewing Stinger

Hoomi

Master member
Dig your digs man, all that space on your table. Are you sure you build planes there? My table looks like a yard sale lol
Well, since it's basically borrowed space, I make an effort to leave things organized and as much out of the way as possible before I leave. I more or less "pay" for the use of the space by being the schlepper for packages going to the post office, and occasional other mundane tasks that help my better-half out.

Apple Pie

Elite member
That looks awesome man, other then the tail feathers it barely looks like the Storch. Does it actually get up on the step before it wants to lift off the water?
It does if I keep the flaps up and don't give it much up elevator. Here is a sketchy quality video of a take off and landing. Takeoff is with 10 degrees of flaps and landing is hot with 40 degrees of flaps. I seem to like flying my storch a little faster than some of the others I've seen! Still having fun trying out different combinations of throttle and flaps :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It does if I keep the flaps up and don't give it much up elevator. Here is a sketchy quality video of a take off and landing. Takeoff is with 10 degrees of flaps and landing is hot with 40 degrees of flaps. I seem to like flying my storch a little faster than some of the others I've seen! Still having fun trying out different combinations of throttle and flaps :)
Is it built with DTFB or FTFB?

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The wing is bigger than my entire build area! I knew that, but it sort of brings things into perspective.

20190824_014406.jpg

I got some paint-stirrers from the store, finished the wing braces and I'm starting on the wing. Gosh but that's a large wing!

Bayboos

Looks great! And don't worry about flying "a little faster than some of the others I've seen" - the floats make much bigger difference than you could expect. Just compare the videos of my Storch flying on wheels/skis (exhibit 1, exhibit 2) vs on floats (exhibit 3, exhibit 4) - It's the same plane, yet it does fly in a very different way.

Good luck, and have fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Looks great! And don't worry about flying "a little faster than some of the others I've seen" - the floats make much bigger difference than you could expect. Just compare the videos of my Storch flying on wheels/skis (exhibit 1, exhibit 2) vs on floats (exhibit 3, exhibit 4) - It's the same plane, yet it does fly in a very different way.

Good luck, and have fun!
That is awesome man, your plane looks great on floats. I really like the rescue tug as well. In exhibit 3 is the plane just bare DTFB?

I so wanna fly off water. And I will be building a rescue boat as well.

Love it. Thx for sharing bro