Building the Storch!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
My Storch is heavily modified and crashed several times, but still flies great and flat spins awesome! It's getting over two years old and still going strong. Check out the pic, it's bent bad but flies great.

Attachments

• IMG_1412.JPG
    IMG_1412.JPG
    267.5 KB · Views: 0

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My Storch is heavily modified and crashed several times, but still flies great and flat spins awesome! It's getting over two years old and still going strong. Check out the pic, it's bent bad but flies great.
Definitely looking a little worse for wear! I can't believe it flies true with the nose the way it is. That gives me confidence to be able to crash mine and still fly it. Thank you! :love:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So I'm finishing out the wing when I realized I'm out of 12" extensions. Doh! Now on order and they should be here Thursday. Meanwhile, I'll just continue the build and come back to the wing servos.

Here's where the build now stands.

20190827_225429.jpg
That's one heck of a wing! I'm done for the evening. More to come.

basslord1124

Master member
Just seen recently where you were also building the Storch. Awesome! First one that got me into FT planes. Super floaty and easy to fly. Build process wasn't bad...it was just big!

What @nhk750 just shared is golden in terms of wing reinforcement. The trailing edge of the wing over top of the fuse definitely needs reinforcements. If not, the pressure of the rubber bands will bend it. I ran 2 dowels into the wing (like in the pictures), and then glued an extra sheet of foam over top of it.

The landing gear is one of those love it or hate it type of thing. By all means try it first to see what you think. A majority (myself included) usually end up changing the landing gear. This is what I have done to mine recently:

new Storch gear.jpg

Storch gear wood mount.jpg

This is a video I did in 2017 flying the Storch. I am kinda thinking I didn't follow the throw gauge and just dialed in some general settings for throws...so it may be a tad more extreme than the recommended settings (I honestly don't remember). It rolled pretty nicely IMO.

Just ran standard 4 channel setup at the time. I've been digging it back out and doing some other mods to it. One was the landing gear, the next one is adding flaps. It's a good flying plane!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Make sure you reinforce the wing as it tends to bend in certain spots. See my upgrade build threads for ideas. Ultimate C power pack , Upgraded wing reinforcement mods.
Just seen recently where you were also building the Storch. Awesome! First one that got me into FT planes. Super floaty and easy to fly. Build process wasn't bad...it was just big!

What @nhk750 just shared is golden in terms of wing reinforcement. The trailing edge of the wing over top of the fuse definitely needs reinforcements. If not, the pressure of the rubber bands will bend it. I ran 2 dowels into the wing (like in the pictures), and then glued an extra sheet of foam over top of it.

The landing gear is one of those love it or hate it type of thing. By all means try it first to see what you think. A majority (myself included) usually end up changing the landing gear. This is what I have done to mine recently:

View attachment 140851

View attachment 140853

This is a video I did in 2017 flying the Storch. I am kinda thinking I didn't follow the throw gauge and just dialed in some general settings for throws...so it may be a tad more extreme than the recommended settings (I honestly don't remember). It rolled pretty nicely IMO.

Just ran standard 4 channel setup at the time. I've been digging it back out and doing some other mods to it. One was the landing gear, the next one is adding flaps. It's a good flying plane!
I thank you both for the suggestions. I forgot about the wing reinforcement and I've already glued the wing together. I'll look at running some dowels along the trailing edge of the fold on the bottom side. Should be nothing to it. Just glue them in.

I'm going to try the stock landing gear to begin with, simply because I really like the way they look. If I can't manage it or don't like it, your mod looks pretty simple, @basslord1124.

You've echoed everything else I've read about how the Storch flies. I'm really looking forward to the maiden on this one! :)

daxian

Elite member
one of my first builds was the storch ...too big for my field /patch of grass ,so she never flew and hangs on the wall !!!

daxian

Elite member
oh i could more than likely fly it at my field now ...have a little more experience with the bigger planes now ...just never had the urge to get around to it ...maybe that will change when i see you guys get yours in the air !!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
oh i could more than likely fly it at my field now ...have a little more experience with the bigger planes now ...just never had the urge to get around to it ...maybe that will change when i see you guys get yours in the air !!
Soooon, so soon! :D

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Here's my current project and I'm already getting butterflies thinking about a maiden flight as it nears completion. But, planes are meant to fly so just get out there and get it in the air, at least thats what I tell myself...

View attachment 140894
Oh. My. Gosh. That is beautiful beyond comparison. I understand your reticence to fly it, but you've got to! That beauty aches to be in the air!