What Did You Fly Today

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I just got back from flying in the rain. I convinced my brother to build a mini speedster and we put the last touches on the esc and radio set up for his first ever flight. He has been practicing a bit on a free simulator and he flew well all things considered.

After his first two flights I joined him in the air with my mini scout. Having two planes in the air at once is a blast. I have to admit that I drifted into the ground while watching him do his first loop. But honestly if i haden't I wouldn't have had the fun of going out to get it while having his plane flying around over me.

He broke his prop on a landing attempt.soningav him my radio to finish out the mini scout battery. We both think the mini scout is the better flyer. At least the way we had them set up.
That's awesome that you got to fly together!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
We had a great time. Dodging the worst of the rain. No torrential downpour but at least we would try to fly in the mild rain instead of full rain lol. No special waterproofing. Ftfb though and quicky paint jobs. We just tried our best to keep the raidos out of the worst of it. Kept them in bags mostly. Here is a shot of the field when we got there. Darn weather guy was wrong. Oh well. Decided to go for it and glad we did. The stuka was unpainted and has bare posterboard on top but seemed to fair well anyway.

IMG_20191214_100638_resize_28.jpg

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Post flight image and video.
In the video I say it is on high rates. It turns out it wasn't. :)
The stuka is the first plane I didn't actually finish before flight no paint no iconic landing gear. Bare posterboard. Made to be flown when the opportunity presents itself

Forgive the video quality. It was a bit of an after thought in the conditions we were flying in :). Still a great morning
IMG_20191214_145216_resize_82.jpg

CheckMySix

Today I tested and am excited to announce my new IACGS or, the marketing name...the Pinocchio Inflight Adjustable CG system. Worked beautifully.
Ok, I forgot to put the bloody skewers in the power pod. Was so excited to test a new 200mw FPV camera which.,.for $40 worked pretty dang well. Just got into FPV so, not spending a ton of bucks just yet especially since I don't plan on doing any cross country flights in the simple cub lol. Worked great for the place we fly though. Range was better than my old eyes can see so.... yea. It's all good.
Gotta love the Cubbie though. 8" longer nose and it was a hard landing but not brutal.
Can't wait for tomorrow. 10knt winds forecasted and she loves the wind with full flaps. It's a little work but too much fun!

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Today I tested and am excited to announce my new IACGS or, the marketing name...the Pinocchio Inflight Adjustable CG system. Worked beautifully.
Ok, I forgot to put the bloody skewers in the power pod. Was so excited to test a new 200mw FPV camera which.,.for $40 worked pretty dang well. Just got into FPV so, not spending a ton of bucks just yet especially since I don't plan on doing any cross country flights in the simple cub lol. Worked great for the place we fly though. Range was better than my old eyes can see so.... yea. It's all good.
Gotta love the Cubbie though. 8" longer nose and it was a hard landing but not brutal.
Can't wait for tomorrow. 10knt winds forecasted and she loves the wind with full flaps. It's a little work but too much fun!

Haha you should patent that automated CG system, man I am still laughing. Was it just hanging on by the wires?

FPV looked good though, $40 you say, where did you get it?

mach1 rc

Master member
Post flight image and video.
In the video I say it is on high rates. It turns out it wasn't. :)
The stuka is the first plane I didn't actually finish before flight no paint no iconic landing gear. Bare posterboard. Made to be flown when the opportunity presents itself

Forgive the video quality. It was a bit of an after thought in the conditions we were flying in :). Still a great morning
View attachment 150892
Super cool plane the stuka is a plane I really like

Last edited:

mach1 rc

Master member

Nice flight!!!

L Edge

Master member
Temp is 36 degrees, wind is gusty from 10-30mph so I started out by taxing around with steerable nose gear and differential thrust. Quickly learned that need to apply little throttle to turn the SR-71 while you taxi. Guess what, since I built light, the 2 64's had plenty of power to spare. Will see what happens in flight.

IMG_0339.JPG

Now decided to find the CG of this SR-71. First noticed with howling wind, a small tip of nose down and the wind drives the fuse to the ground and a small amount of nose up, just flipped it vertically. So first point, elevator is going to be touchy.

Trying to find balance point, held vertical fuse by 2 fingers and let go of other hand restraining it until the winds were probably 20-30 to see which way the fuse pitches. Then, would re-position the battery (use wide painter's tape) and wait until high winds came to see what happens. I ended up moving it 3 times aft so, I was nose heavy.

So rather than than chuck an airplane and let it possible be damaged by potential and kinitic energy, I let my gusty(15-30mph) wind determine my CG and nothing is destroyed. Used my windsurfing meter to measure temp and wind speed)

Next step, will it get into the air?

So now what I do is, wait for a good steady wind, have
left thumb on the gimbal to control throttle
grab CG point with right hand
lift about 8" off ground
move throttle with thumb to about 1/3 power
now move model forward horizontal to ground and release quickly
quickly bring TX so right hand grabs elevons(or ailerons and elevator)
vary throttle to keep it flying (remember you have winds anywhere from 10 to 30)
If not near proper CG, nose plane up or down and then kill power.

Object is try to keep plane level without gaining height.

Result----The SR-71 made a flight and was hit with a high gust and I got it down safely.

Slight damage, the battery on the long nose cracked the vertical fuse, so will need to re-enforce that and the nose gear strengthen.

Video will follow, also I have a thread on my work I did to get to this point.

CheckMySix

Temp is 36 degrees, wind is gusty from 10-30mph so I started out by taxing around with steerable nose gear and differential thrust. Quickly learned that need to apply little throttle to turn the SR-71 while you taxi. Guess what, since I built light, the 2 64's had plenty of power to spare. Will see what happens in flight.

View attachment 150984

Now decided to find the CG of this SR-71. First noticed with howling wind, a small tip of nose down and the wind drives the fuse to the ground and a small amount of nose up, just flipped it vertically. So first point, elevator is going to be touchy.

Trying to find balance point, held vertical fuse by 2 fingers and let go of other hand restraining it until the winds were probably 20-30 to see which way the fuse pitches. Then, would re-position the battery (use wide painter's tape) and wait until high winds came to see what happens. I ended up moving it 3 times aft so, I was nose heavy.

So rather than than chuck an airplane and let it possible be damaged by potential and kinitic energy, I let my gusty(15-30mph) wind determine my CG and nothing is destroyed. Used my windsurfing meter to measure temp and wind speed)

lift about 8" off ground
vary throttle to keep it flying (remember you have winds anywhere from 10 to 30)

Result----The SR-71 made a flight and was hit with a high gust and I got it down safely.

Slight damage, the battery on the long nose cracked the vertical fuse, so will need to re-enforce that and the nose gear strengthen.

That is slick man! Well done!!!😱

CheckMySix

View attachment 150984

lift about 8" off ground

Need to write up some build plans man. Sharing is caring- 😋😁
Was just talking about that amazing Skunk Works bird. Engineering was next level considering they didn't have computer modeling and the tech tools of today. Thing was designed with a protector and T square. They had to refuel right after takeoff cause it leaked like a sieve on the ground. Heat expansion sealed the tanks. Crazy.

My all time favorite aviation story told but and amazing aviator and American HERO!!! Enjoy!

LA center groud speed check

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, epic flying day! I took out the Bushwhacker, commuter, viggen, arrowhead, 75% goblin, and champ. The champ was the only plane that came back in 100% flyable condition. The bushwacker flew great for the most part but then I realized that the side where I had just taped the aileron hinge on started coming off, but then I forgot and took it up with the GoPro. Well, I hovered it and pulled out inverted, no problem for me now cause I’m almost as comfortable flying inverted as right side up. Well with the added weight of the GoPro and not putting the battery far enough back, it was a little nose heavy and full throttle full up elevator it slowly descended. I realized I didn’t have enough altitude to roll over so I just powered into the gravel inverted. The plane is totally fine other than I chipped half an inch off my favorite prop, the APC 10x5 (my only one) and I’ll just need to buy a new Glass lenses cover for the GoPro. That crash has onboard video. The goblin, well, I had to fly it on 4s:D All went well until I tried to do a full speed pass too low to the ground and crashed. I only need to glue a little though and she will be ready to fly. It was a rocket though! I have the whole flight on video too! No video of the commuter - it crashed but was just flying weird. I’ll take the electronics out and maybe put them in my pietenpol I have mostly cut out. The arrowhead was a blast, and I got a bit of video of it for my “fly as hard as you can” thread. @buzzbomb I tried to do a cobra for you! It was kinda successful. The arrowhead just needs a little glue and will be ready to fly again. The champ started off tail heavy and didn’t fly great so it suffered a few crashes. Then at the end of the flying session I added a little nose weight and flew it till all my batteries for it were dead. The viggen I let my friend fly who hasn’t flown much at all. He did great and I videoed until my phone died. He liked it a lot. Then he had a los, cause suddenly the motor cut and there was no control. The nose needs replacing but other that that, it is pretty much ok. Overall a fun day! I’ll get the video posted later today or tomorrow. Happy flying!

Hoomi

Master member
Had a Holiday get-together with some friends of ours, which included some of the folks working their dogs on sheep and goats. I flew the Mavic 2 Zoom to practice doing video of action. Fun exercise in getting better with my drone videography.

Oh, and I got to put on the Santa suit and pose for pictures with 3 week old Australian Shepherd puppies. Life is good!

Herding.jpg

SantaVisit.jpg

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, epic flying day! I took out the Bushwhacker, commuter, viggen, arrowhead, 75% goblin, and champ. The champ was the only plane that came back in 100% flyable condition. The bushwacker flew great for the most part but then I realized that the side where I had just taped the aileron hinge on started coming off, but then I forgot and took it up with the GoPro. Well, I hovered it and pulled out inverted, no problem for me now cause I’m almost as comfortable flying inverted as right side up. Well with the added weight of the GoPro and not putting the battery far enough back, it was a little nose heavy and full throttle full up elevator it slowly descended. I realized I didn’t have enough altitude to roll over so I just powered into the gravel inverted. The plane is totally fine other than I chipped half an inch off my favorite prop, the APC 10x5 (my only one) and I’ll just need to buy a new Glass lenses cover for the GoPro. That crash has onboard video. The goblin, well, I had to fly it on 4s:D All went well until I tried to do a full speed pass too low to the ground and crashed. I only need to glue a little though and she will be ready to fly. It was a rocket though! I have the whole flight on video too! No video of the commuter - it crashed but was just flying weird. I’ll take the electronics out and maybe put them in my pietenpol I have mostly cut out. The arrowhead was a blast, and I got a bit of video of it for my “fly as hard as you can” thread. @buzzbomb I tried to do a cobra for you! It was kinda successful. The arrowhead just needs a little glue and will be ready to fly again. The champ started off tail heavy and didn’t fly great so it suffered a few crashes. Then at the end of the flying session I added a little nose weight and flew it till all my batteries for it were dead. The viggen I let my friend fly who hasn’t flown much at all. He did great and I videoed until my phone died. He liked it a lot. Then he had a los, cause suddenly the motor cut and there was no control. The nose needs replacing but other that that, it is pretty much ok. Overall a fun day! I’ll get the video posted later today or tomorrow. Happy flying!
Oh, and I also broke my gopro case. Those repairs could have bought me another battery or two! :cry:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Had a Holiday get-together with some friends of ours, which included some of the folks working their dogs on sheep and goats. I flew the Mavic 2 Zoom to practice doing video of action. Fun exercise in getting better with my drone videography.

Oh, and I got to put on the Santa suit and pose for pictures with 3 week old Australian Shepherd puppies. Life is good!

View attachment 151045

View attachment 151046
Nice pics! The drone videography is fun and rewarding. Cute puppy - I love Australian Shepherds!