What Did You Fly Today

Vimana89

Legendary member
Well now that you bring it up... ever hear of Barnaby Wainfan and the Facetmobile? There's a DTFB project if I ever saw one. IIRC he was local to you but other side of the freeway.
I have heard about that one! Neat little plane. Yes, a scale model of that would be good, or even just borrowing some concepts.

Vimana89

Legendary member
Too windy to fly, no chance to run to the store and get new foam...got a couple blades with some bit of life left in them, a couple sticks of glue, an electronics package with A pack motor, and foam that's mostly scraps or warped...:unsure:...as in beginning to curve...well maybe I'll just curve it the rest of the way, all the way into an annular wing plane. Now, the question is, how similar or how different to @L Edge 's design do I want it? And should I go with normal elevons to get better rolls, or try V tails for better high alpha controllability? Don't expect anyone to necessarily have the answers, just thinking out loud.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Too windy to fly, no chance to run to the store and get new foam...got a couple blades with some bit of life left in them, a couple sticks of glue, an electronics package with A pack motor, and foam that's mostly scraps or warped...:unsure:...as in beginning to curve...well maybe I'll just curve it the rest of the way, all the way into an annular wing plane. Now, the question is, how similar or how different to @L Edge 's design do I want it? And should I go with normal elevons to get better rolls, or try V tails for better high alpha controllability? Don't expect anyone to necessarily have the answers, just thinking out loud.
Ooh, I like where this is going!

Vimana89

Legendary member
I have a big Ovonic, something for a big 3s build. Never used it for anything, let me know how well yours work. Mine's like 2200 or something really big. Also, I'm sketching up a concept for an annular wing, and it's looking really spacey. That topic will be moved to the "anyone else scratch building" thread, so anyone interested, that's where it will be until it's actually flying.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I have a big Ovonic, something for a big 3s build. Never used it for anything, let me know how well yours work. Mine's like 2200 or something really big. Also, I'm sketching up a concept for an annular wing, and it's looking really spacey. That topic will be moved to the "anyone else scratch building" thread, so anyone interested, that's where it will be until it's actually flying.
Never heard of an annular wing, just looked it up. It looks like a really cool project.
Could you tag me in the post so I don't miss it?

K3V0

Elite member
Morning all! I flew a brief dawn patrol today with my storch. It’s been raining so I've been looking forward to forcasted clear skies. As soon as I took off things seemed a bit off. I chalked it up to the wind and gained some altitude. I tried bringing it back towards me but loss of orientation was keeping me from achieving that. Because I couldn’t tell what was going on, I had to pull hard out of a couple of dives. This added to a already damaged (I assume) wing and the right side folded up and it started falling without control.
I was in the air for about 90 seconds and then I was packing it up to head home. Normally I’d be pretty frustrated by this but today I’m pretty sanguine! There are a few good takeaways for me here.
I need to get a much brighter and practical light setup if I’m going to fly in the dark. This seems like a no brained but the little blinky Christmas lights looked cool and bright enough when I put them on, so I figured what the hell.
The storch had suffered a pretty bad crash the last time I had flown it. The only obvious damage was in the fuselage so that what I fixed. The wing has always been a champ and I didn’t give it any love. I learned to fully inspect and test all parts after rebuilds.
And lastly, bring two planes! I really only meant to slowly fly the sunrise and practice with the storch. Had I brought the her, I would have happily flown the mig instead.
happy Saturday and good flying!

L Edge

Master member

Here is my orginal design "double trouble" video (lost the rest of it due to camera battery failure). Was able to finess it so it fly high alpha in high winds as well as spin like a top when it hovers vertical or just stand still. Even flies in a dome at real slow speeds in a confine area.

Watching yours with interest.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Here is my orginal design "double trouble" video (lost the rest of it due to camera battery failure). Was able to finess it so it fly high alpha in high winds as well as spin like a top when it hovers vertical or just stand still. Even flies in a dome at real slow speeds in a confine area.

You realize @Vimana89 will build every one of these planes you post, I think you are doing this on purpose now :ROFLMAO:

Vimana89

Legendary member

That's an awesome plane! I've seen a micro indoor build of a Star Wars pod racer that flew around and used the same double barrel principle to achieve the pod racer shape and fly. I only really got a chance to mess with the fuselage template yesterday, but I'll be working some more on my annular wing design today. Mine will be a single "barrel" more like the first one you posted. I've got the fuselage and controls figured out(trying V tail elevons on mine), I will assemble that part of it and then work on the wing. This should be interesting, and gives me something to do with those sheets of foam that are already beginning to curve.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I just got back from flying in the rain. I convinced my brother to build a mini speedster and we put the last touches on the esc and radio set up for his first ever flight. He has been practicing a bit on a free simulator and he flew well all things considered.

After his first two flights I joined him in the air with my mini scout. Having two planes in the air at once is a blast. I have to admit that I drifted into the ground while watching him do his first loop. But honestly if i haden't I wouldn't have had the fun of going out to get it while having his plane flying around over me.

He broke his prop on a landing attempt.soningav him my radio to finish out the mini scout battery. We both think the mini scout is the better flyer. At least the way we had them set up.

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Oh! Nearly forgot. I also maidened my mini stuka. I was nervous about it . Since it is first warbird and also small and dense and maybe fast. And. Well it flew amazing. I'll have video soon I hope. It is on my brothers phone. The flight didn't last too long since the rain we were flying in started to pick up so quick landing and jump back in the car. But, oh can't wait to fly it again