Super Scout - Build log

dap35

Elite member
Quick Maiden flight today. Went pretty well. We had a cross wind at the field, so I took off using the taxi way in less than 10ft. It still needs trimming and I need to remount my tail wheel, but the landing was nice and gentle - plenty of float.... just sticking it to the paper doesn't hold when you turn the plane :)

Unfortunately, my attempt at a using my phone for video failed, but I did get a still photo before flying.
IMG_2400.jpeg

dap35

Elite member
I flew again today, and got closer on my weak attempt at video, but the phone was pointed a bit too UP :-(.
On a positive note, it flew Great! Still 6-8mph cross-wind at the field today, but I stuck a landing that you might be hard pressed to do with a Harrier. It came down like an elevator from about 60 feet with no bounce.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Finally got video from an earlier flight from a club member. Posted Here
I love it I've and have to build one. I already have the standard size version and that flies great, but your scaled up version looks even better.
I've submitted a posted saying I fancied building another Simple Cub in the new year, scaled up with longer wing's.
Forget that now I want the scaled up version of the scout instead.

dap35

Elite member
That would be great if you could
I got part of it done today. Then I started to fight with the programming on my new Mirage 2000. Sigh.... The weather has stunk lately, and Tuesday might be the one day I can fly this week. So that is my focus.

Attachments

• Mirage2k.png
    Mirage2k.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 0

dap35

Elite member
I love it I've and have to build one. I already have the standard size version and that flies great, but your scaled up version looks even better.
I've submitted a posted saying I fancied building another Simple Cub in the new year, scaled up with longer wing's.
Forget that now I want the scaled up version of the scout instead.
Thanks.... I ended up changing the landing gear at some point because the original tended to list to one side or the other depending on the wind. I even did a short term test with a pair of 50mm EDFs.

I will say that the airfoil is really thicker than needed, so there is a fair bit of drag. It will never fly fast but it is well behaved and will loop on a c-pack.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Thanks.... I ended up changing the landing gear at some point because the original tended to list to one side or the other depending on the wind. I even did a short term test with a pair of 50mm EDFs.

I will say that the airfoil is really thicker than needed, so there is a fair bit of drag. It will never fly fast but it is well behaved and will loop on a c-pack.
To be honest its not the style of plane you want to fly fast, it would be out of character.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I originally built the Scout for my son. I thought it was an ideal model for teaching him how to practice take-offs with a tail dragger.
However, he has since sadly lost interest in flying planes and is now too busy with his: Job, car, dog and fiancée to be bothered flying. So I've ended up acquiring the Scout for myself and love it, one of my favorite models in the FT collection.
I was originally planning to make another, but a slightly modified version with English decals so I could have dog fights with my son. But seeing as that will never happen now, I think the scaled up version is going to be one of my 2022 priority projects.